Options

British Comedy Awards 2014

Comments

• Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old cliche "the night comedy died" springs to this tired mind.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I am as well.

30 years in the business, changed the face of comedy, passed away this year, not one mention, but yet some knacker from a reality TV show wins an award.

That can't be right.

I despair :(
  • Options
    PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Don't wanna go on about it, but Twitter seems pretty furious over the snub.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought - I'm surprised Birds of a Feather or, to a lesser extent, Benidoirm weren't nominated for anything. The Comedy Awards are certainly far more focused on the surreal and edgy now rather than the traditional.

EDIT: I'm not sure how Celebrity Juice, Plebs and, to a lesser extent, The Job Lot missed out on nominations either.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    I hope Stewart Lee wins

:D

I was concerned they WOULD give the overrated bitter smug fat **** something.

Correctly they didn't.

Well done Lee Mack! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Comedy is dead, long live mediocrity.

Very few laughs from so many comedians.

One can't help think back to the brilliant Ricky Gervais appearances.
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Just thought - I'm surprised Birds of a Feather or, to a lesser extent, Benidoirm weren't nominated for anything. The Comedy Awards are certainly far more focused on the surreal and edgy now rather than the traditional.

EDIT: I'm not sure how Celebrity Juice, Plebs and, to a lesser extent, The Job Lot missed out on nominations either.

Because they are awful? :confused:
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Sarcastic Poster Of The Year Award beckons. :D
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moone boy was a well deserved winner of the sitcom award. Pity nobody sees it on Sky.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope Plebs and The Job Lot win something,, they were by far my favourite stuff this year
    Mine too but I am guessing that they were too funny.
    I'll admit I'm not watching this, but not one mention of Rik Mayall?
    Not that sort of program. He will get a mention at the next Baftas.

The whole show was a mess.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaleHorse wrote: »
    Don't wanna go on about it, but Twitter seems pretty furious over the snub.

Didn't the show show any clips of him or anything?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No Plebs? That's an excellent show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Moone boy was a well deserved winner of the sitcom award. Pity nobody sees it on Sky.

It must be terrible to be so poor you can't afford Sky.

I watched the first few episodes of Moone Boy series 1 but had to throw in the towel.

It wasn't as bad as Rev though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the funniest thing about the programme was that people actually bothered to watch it.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Stewart Lee wins

Why is he even there? this is a comedy awards show.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I simply do not understand how there can be a show such as this that doesn't even mention Tim Vine.>:(:confused:
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Didn't the show show any clips of him or anything?

Wasn't Rik Mayall in that Man Down clip pushing Greg Davies into a Christmas tree? I wasn't a fan of his or Robin Williams come to that, but I was surprised they weren't given some sort of recognition.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Cardinal Burns, Toast of London, Horrible Histories and Inside No 9 all looked potentially funny shows from the clips and I hadn't seen any of them before.

John Cleese looked utterly fed up doing that Parrott sketch. How about them all getting together to do a one off TV special - with some new sketches?

Boring Dom and Steph from Gogglebox again - must have got themselves a good agent. Fed up with seeing them - Steph seems so horribly unpleasant and false.

Harry Enfield was entertaining. Graham Norton worthy winner.

Mrs Browns Boys and Stuart Lee are unfunny in my opinion

The Trip to Italy - missed the whole second series but enjoyed the first series. Maybe they'll repeat the second series.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Cardinal Burns, Toast of London, all looked potentially funny shows from the clips and I hadn't seen any of them before.

Not seen Cardinal Burns, I watched a bit of Toast and it was utter rubbish.

John Cleese looked utterly fed up doing that Parrott sketch. How about them all getting together to do a one off TV special - with some new sketches?

Agreed, Cleese seems to have become a miserable old git.

Boring Dom and Steph from Gogglebox again - must have got themselves a good agent. Fed up with seeing them - Steph seems so horribly unpleasant and false.

They have put the B & B up for sale to concentrate on their T.V. Career.

Harry Enfield was entertaining. Graham Norton worthy winner.

Mrs Browns Boys and Stuart Lee are unfunny in my opinion

I like Mrs Browns Boys, but don't know why Stuart Lee was even included in a comedy show/

The Trip to Italy - missed the whole second series but enjoyed the first series. Maybe they'll repeat the second series.

You didn't miss much, not funny, just a jolly for the boys staying in 5 star hotels and eating at Michelin starred restaurants
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    Because they are awful? :confused:

So's most of the stuff that is nominated!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    What was the gag Ross did about his brother Paul in the opening monologue? Couldn't make it out
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What was the gag Ross did about his brother Paul in the opening monologue? Couldn't make it out

it was to do with this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2738913/Married-BBC-presenter-Paul-Ross-admits-cheated-man-met-dogging-snorted-meow-meow-face-wife-stands-him.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Sorry yeah, knew what he was referring to but just couldn't make out what he actually said
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He said 'In the words of my brother Paul in a bush by a roundabout, let's do it'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brilliant cheers!