Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Its interesting to contrast us this season V last when often the attackers would say to the defenders 'we have done our job, how about you do yours' as we let so many in. At the start of this season we were poor almost every match but lately I think the defenders can say the above to the attackers.

Since mid December :-

3 vital away wins V AVFC, Sunderland and Burnley and in all of them we were on top but managed to sneak just one goal (or two in the AVFC case) and keep a clean sheet = 9 points won. Last season V low teams we could often manage more than one goal and not turning our superiority into goals makes for much nail biting near the end of games!!

V Leicester the bottom team at home we are on top but only score 2 penalties (both dodgy) and lose a point as they score twice.

V Chelsea who most think are the best team in the country we outplay them at home and have several chances but only draw 1-1, apart from a penalty they do not even manage a shot on target. In the away game they play well but we give as good as we get but they score and we don't so we go out.

V Bolton a Championship team we draw 0-0 at home after dominating the game giving us an extra game we could do without and in that we go behind after dominating again and only get through due to scoring in the 86th and 91st minutes.

Against EFC on Saturday we are clearly better than them but fail to break down a dogged defence and end up losing some more ground to the likes of THFC and Southampton who both win.

The most convincing win we have had was V WHU but even in that despite being well on top we did not seal the win till getting the second goal in the last 10 minutes, prior to that as fans we were on tenterhooks.

So well done to those whose main job is preventing the opposition scoring, by your efforts we are in the running for coming 3rd or 4th although we do have to step up a bit to get there, but if the attackers can start delivering more goals then things will really look up. In that regard Sturridge being back is surely something to be happy about. It is all very frustrating though cos we have some great players - so many in fact that at times it is hard to know who to select - but we really need to become far more ruthless and start turning our dominance into more goals.

At times I think we could do well to note the old adage that if you don't shoot you can't score :D
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    We really are a bad bunch of fans in here! :blush:

Kolo Toure, the nicest bloke in football got his dream last night and won the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ivory Coast. Congratulations man - that penalty you took was a stormer, and your delight is something else to see.

Come back safe and buzzing, we need you as soon as you are fit and ready, but well done, proud for you!
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I was hoping Kolo would come back with a winners medal. :)

He'll probably get a bit of a break, but when he comes back I can see Can moving into Lucas' position during his absence and Kolo going into the back three. For the moment, though, I'm expecting Gerrard or Allen to go there, even though I wouldn't like it. Alternatively Brendan might see this as a good time to bring Lovren back in and hope he can prove himself like his other signings have started to do. Wouldn't want to play him against Spurs though with Harry Kane in such good form.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »

Kolo Toure, the nicest bloke in football got his dream last night and won the Africa Cup of Nations with the Ivory Coast. Congratulations man - that penalty you took was a stormer, and your delight is something else to see.

Come back safe and buzzing, we need you as soon as you are fit and ready, but well done, proud for you!

The clip of him going off in completely another direction was brilliant. Reminded me of Carra in Istanbul.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would suit us fine if The Owl decided that Harry Kane was Englands new wonderkid and he told Brendan to stick Daniel Sturridge up his hole.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he could, and well, but we really need him to keep an eye on Kane tomorrow, he will be the best for that. We always do better when Lucas plays, this is a blow for sure.

Can has been brilliant with his recent performances but we need to keep Kane at bay as much as possible & not allow the spuds to get their revenge. On a different note, I really hope that Sterling's contract issues are resolved soon, as the rumours about him refusing to sign are becoming more realistic.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can has been brilliant with his recent performances but we need to keep Kane at bay as much as possible & not allow the spuds to get their revenge. On a different note, I really hope that Sterling's contract issues are resolved soon, as the rumours about him refusing to sign are becoming more realistic.

Would you offer Sterling (or his agents) what he wants or stick to the offer on the table?

By the way, I think Sterling is out of tonight's match.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, Sterlings injured.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Would you offer Sterling (or his agents) what he wants or stick to the offer on the table?

There has to be a middle ground. If sterling's demands are too high the club have to stand firm.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

The answer to the question is definitely not an unqualified yes as it would create a terrible precedent but if we are too unyielding about it that creates problems too - like Misawa says we should try to reach a middle ground.

It is a very sad thing to say but the problem with football these days is you can be too principled - and the result is that your best players leave and go to the team with less principles where they often earn more money and win more trophies.

Many on LFC forums seem to be becoming quite anti Sterling already which I think is a bit hasty until we know the full facts and see how it all pans out but frankly I do have some sympathy with their views. He should also think on that if he did move to a 'bigger' (ie richer) club then there is no guarantee that he would get in the team. I honestly think he would be better off staying but in the end he will do what he wants to do - or what his agents tell him to more likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    There has to be a middle ground. If sterling's demands are too high the club have to stand firm.
    The answer to the question is definitely not an unqualified yes as it would create a terrible precedent but if we are too unyielding about it that creates problems too - like Misawa says we should try to reach a middle ground.

It is a very sad thing to say but the problem with football these days is you can be too principled - and the result is that your best players leave and go to the team with less principles where they often earn more money and win more trophies.

Many on LFC forums seem to be becoming quite anti Sterling already which I think is a bit hasty until we know the full facts and see how it all pans out but frankly I do have some sympathy with their views. He should also think on that if he did move to a 'bigger' (ie richer) club then there is no guarantee that he would get in the team. I honestly think he would be better off staying but in the end he will do what he wants to do - or what his agents tell him to more likely.

I totally agree with 'the middle ground' opinion but I get the impression that the Club believe the offer on the table is the middle ground offer.

I can see where the Club are coming from. Sterling is still very young and has a lot of development still ahead of him. They believe that offering too much for one so young could damage his development and I sort of see their point.

However, could we afford to lose another one of our key players?
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    We've been battling without Sturridge most of the season and then just as we get him back and nearing match fitness again, we lose Sterling and Lucas ( two of our most in form players) for an important game that we really must win.

For tonight if I was picking the team, I think I might be tempted to take a risk on Johnson on the right side of the three in defence, Can to replace Lucas in CM with Henderson and the fittest from Lallana or Gerrard to play with Coutinho behind, hopefully a fit enough, Sturridge.

The safer option, and the one I expect BR to take, is to stick to the same steady three in defence and play Gerrard or Allen in CM with Hendo. It's safer in terms of not upsetting a working defensive unit, but I have worries about Allen or Gerrard trying to cover for Lucas; we've seen both there before and it hasn't been a roaring success. To beat Spurs we need to stop Kane AND Ericsson, so I think we need someone decent digging in between the defensive and midfield lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    We've been battling without Sturridge most of the season and then just as we get him back and nearing match fitness again, we lose Sterling and Lucas ( two of our most in form players) for an important game that we really must win.

For tonight if I was picking the team, I think I might be tempted to take a risk on Johnson on the right side of the three in defence, Can to replace Lucas in CM with Henderson and the fittest from Lallana or Gerrard to play with Coutinho behind, hopefully a fit enough, Sturridge.

The safer option, and the one I expect BR to take, is to stick to the same steady three in defence and play Gerrard or Allen in CM with Hendo. It's safer in terms of not upsetting a working defensive unit, but I have worries about Allen or Gerrard trying to cover for Lucas; we've seen both there before and it hasn't been a roaring success. To beat Spurs we need to stop Kane AND Ericsson, so I think we need someone decent digging in between the defensive and midfield lines.

I think he will go with your safer option. I think Brendan has already said he won't be moving Can into midfield just yet.

I wonder if Sturridge will be fit enough to start in place of Sterling. As an aside, I thought Ibe did very well against Everton. Maybe he has earned his place in the team for tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he will go with your safer option. I think Brendan has already said he won't be moving Can into midfield just yet.

I wonder if Sturridge will be fit enough to start in place of Sterling. As an aside, I thought Ibe did very well against Everton. Maybe he has earned his place in the team for tonight.

I think Ibe 100% deserves a starting place tonight, he earned that right at the derby.

I'm wondering if Balo might be bought into play with Sturridge? That could prove interesting - I saw something somewhere that we played them both the last time we played (and beat) Spurs. However it pans out, I hope it's a winner for us, we have to be pulling those points in now - 3 at a time!
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

I'm made up for him. Such a nice guy (as you say) and has always given 100% for us even in the face of some grossly unjust ridicule and derision from fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liverpool: Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Ibe, Henderson, Gerrard, Moreno, Markovic, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Subs: Ward, Johnson, Lovren, Lambert, Lallana, Allen, Balotelli

....and there we go, happy enough with this.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Edit: Gosh darn it, Orch. :D

Yay for Ibe! :) Could be a different role for him tonight. A little worried about the Gerrard/Hendo axis but we'll see. Sturridge starting warms my heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sturridge getting to start.

Happy with that line-up.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Matt Spiro (very good ligue 1 journalist) has tweeted that liverpool are one of the clubs who have contacted Andre Ayew with a view to signing him in the summer on a free transfer from marseille.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Edit: Gosh darn it, Orch. :D

Yay for Ibe! :) Could be a different role for him tonight. A little worried about the Gerrard/Hendo axis but we'll see. Sturridge starting warms my heart.

Ha! Lightening fast me! :D

I am hoping he pops Stevie off after an hour max, and brings in a change, maybe Lallana, maybe Mario - don't really fancy any of the rest tbh. Hope Ibe has a stormer,and Danny is well up for it and match sharp. Actually looking forward to this one. Himself though is in the loo jittery as hell! :D:D
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    I expect a high work rate and quick pressing of the ball from Spurs tonight. That means guys like Gerrard and Sakho will need to be careful when they're on the ball because they won't get much time to pick their passes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got away with that, was a clear pen.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

er.. no it was nowhere near a penalty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markovic looks like hes been shat on :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

Oh do behave Grouty, the guy jumped over - sheesh!
This discussion has been closed.