Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Finally, a bit of news I have been longing to see for months now, and it's looking good for the long term!

Flanno is running! :D
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Lol, your taking RAWK seriously? We all know that these "super forums" such as RAWK, Red Cafe, GoT, Arsenal Mania etc are full of absolute morons. They're the go-to places for inane witter and hilarious delusion.

Anyone with a semblance of sense knows that a top 4 finish is going to be a right old slog, and as Orch points out, most of us are hopeful that we can do it. But we're taking nothing for granted.

I am not keen on these type of posts tbh painting posters on RAWK as morons. Yes it does have some extreme posters but so do many other forums - including DS. Heck on here we have a guy claiming to be a LFC fan who says we are going to get hammered every time the opposition score so we are hardly in a position to have a go at other forums. RAWK is one of the biggest LFC forums and has many awesome fans with great knowledge and a commitment to our club and all it stands for over a number of years (in some cases 50 or 60) that puts me for one to shame. I therefore wish to dissociate myself from anything disrespecting them as a whole altho obviously of course there is much I do not agree with on it,

On here we have recently had a full page talking about the looks of players and at times have spent time discussing kit designs. For the record I have no interest in how LFC players look or the designs of the kits - tactics, team selection, form, potential signings and things related to what actually happens on the pitch are the only things that really interest me.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I see Carroll is injured again. Out for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad to see that that banana guy or whatever he was called is now inactive - no LFC fan has ever said we are confident of getting into the top 4 - tho yes of course if our whole world wide fan base was considered there may be the odd one who said we were. I do think we stand a decent chance as we are playing well and are top of the form league and the gap is not too big now but that's all it is - a decent chance..

Yes I admit I may be neurotic but at times it does seem to me that some (not all I hasten to add) fans of other clubs like to paint our club in a certain way as and to me it is wholly unjustified - our players, owners, fans and manager all come in for unfair treatment.

I think it is a conspiracy against LFC. Lol :D

Seriously tho I saw Walcott quoted somewhere as saying the FAC is now AFCs to lose - you cannot get more arrogant or disrespectful of other teams than that - and yet he got no stick for it. Having said that I did not hear him say it, I only saw it as a quote on FB so I am not totally sure he did say it before any Gooners have a go. But if he did say it he is a very silly boy. I am sure that no LFC player would ever say anything like that.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people saying we need to sign someone to replace Gerrard. I don't mean this disrespectfully but what exactly do they mean? What has he given us this season that needs replacing come the summer? I could understand the question a few years ago or even last season, but not now.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously tho I saw Walcott quoted somewhere as saying the FAC is now AFCs to lose - you cannot get more arrogant or disrespectful of other teams than that - and yet he got no stick for it. Having said that I did not hear him say it, I only saw it as a quote on FB so I am not totally sure he did say it before any Gooners have a go. But if he did say it he is a very silly boy. I am sure that no LFC player would ever say anything like that.

Except Gerrard. And Rodgers has been known to spout a bit of nonsense.

Come on, Alan. All players say stuff like this, if asked. What's Walcott going to say? 'Yeah, we've got a chance, but I think that there are better sides than us left in it'.

For a start, he'd be lying. Arsenal ARE the best side left. Secondly, he's saying what Arsenal fans want to hear. That's not 'arrogant', or 'disrespectful'. It's playing the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Except Gerrard. And Rodgers has been known to spout a bit of nonsense.

Come on, Alan. All players say stuff like this, if asked. What's Walcott going to say? 'Yeah, we've got a chance, but I think that there are better sides than us left in it'.

For a start, he'd be lying. Arsenal ARE the best side left. Secondly, he's saying what Arsenal fans want to hear. That's not 'arrogant', or 'disrespectful'. It's playing the game.

They should give the stock (and sensible) answer - 'We will take it one game at a time and won't look beyond Middlesboro the team we are playing in the next round. Next question.'

Last season even when we became the favourites for the PL nobody within the club ever said so in public - same as Jose is playing down CFCs chances this year even tho now they are clearly overwhelming favourites.

re AFC and the FAC as some one once said I would love it if the Boro did them - and they have the ability to let nobody be in any doubt. about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No Gerrard or Lucas, Sterling a doubt and Ibe cup tied.

OK guys, pick your team! :confused:
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should give the stock (and sensible) answer - 'We will take it one game at a time and won't look beyond Middlesboro the team we are playing in the next round. Next question.'

Last season even when we became the favourites for the PL nobody within the club ever said so in public - same as Jose is playing down CFCs chances this year even tho now they are clearly overwhelming favourites.

re AFC and the FAC as some one once said I would love it if the Boro did them - and they have the ability to let nobody be in any doubt. about that.

Why should they? What's wrong with a bit of confidence?

And he's factually correct. As holders, it is Arsenal's to lose. I don't want them to win it, but they're favourites, in my eyes.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

I'd rather he says what he thinks, or at least what he thinks Arsenal fans want to hear, than boring cliches and recyclable quotes that the media want to hear. Arsenal would be favourites and they're the current cup holders. I don't want to hear them saying they hope they win it, but that they should. People are too nice in football. i'd rather see things like what Walcott may have said and the stuff between Sam Allardyce and LvG. Or the way Gordon Strachan handles stupid media questions.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no LFC fan has ever said we are confident of getting into the top 4
    seellee wrote: »

I have to say I'm extremely confident that we will finish top 4 at least.

Haha, except this guy.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And he's factually correct. As holders, it is Arsenal's to lose. I don't want them to win it, but they're favourites, in my eyes.

that not what "arsenals to lose " means though
    it means that barring any silly mistakes they will win it.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I'd rather he says what he thinks, or at least what he thinks Arsenal fans want to hear, than boring cliches and recyclable quotes that the media want to hear. Arsenal would be favourites and they're the current cup holders. I don't want to hear them saying they hope they win it, but that they should. People are too nice in football. i'd rather see things like what Walcott may have said and the stuff between Sam Allardyce and LvG. Or the way Gordon Strachan handles stupid media questions.

I fully agree with this point. Most footballer's are robotic enough in interviews as it is without putting restrictions on their speech like the ones suggested.

He has every right to be confident, they're the holders and on the balance of things have probably played better football than the other big sides left in the competition (although none of us have set the world alight). Hope they crash out to Boro though;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I fully agree with this point. Most footballer's are robotic enough in interviews as it is without putting restrictions on their speech like the ones suggested.

He has every right to be confident, they're the holders and on the balance of things have probably played better football than the other big sides left in the competition (although none of us have set the world alight). Hope they crash out to Boro though;-)

Every club, player and fan should go into everything with a confidence that they can win - or what's the point? Sure, some of the Big Boys have been brought down to earth with a massive bump by the underdogs - and Boro has been not too shabby doing that over the years btw!.

Anyone can win this cup, some of the Prem teams have been dire this season, so it's all up for grabs, and talking up a confident storm pre match is what we all want to hear from our own clubs. Anyhow - come on Liverpool, you can do this! :D
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Every club, player and fan should go into everything with a confidence that they can win - or what's the point?

Some will understandably be more (or less) confident than others.

But yes, I take your overall point. It's a very open field this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confident we will get top 4 and that hasn't changed since August.
  • Options
    Eye ItchEye Itch Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I'm confident we will get top 4 and that hasn't changed since August.

That wasn't the point.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Carroll is injured again. Out for the rest of the season.

Karma's a bitch Andy.
  • Options
    Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karma's a bitch Andy.

The alternative is that he might have scored some vital goals against our rivals to finish top 4.I wish him well for the rest of his career and to score many goals, just none against LFC:D
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but if he'd kept his mouth shut before our match I'd have a hell of a lot more sympathy for him.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Allen and Henderson in midfield against a dogged Palace side at Selhurst Park? With Bolasie and Gayle who both seem to relish playing us? This could be difficult to watch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eye Itch wrote: »
    That wasn't the point.

I'm agreeing with you here. I think Alan is wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Allen and Henderson in midfield against a dogged Palace side at Selhurst Park? With Bolasie and Gayle who both seem to relish playing us? This could be difficult to watch!

Can't be worse than Gerrard/Henderson. At least Hendo will be able to concentrate on himself. I doubt he'll have to do Allens Running for him!
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »

Allen was one of the better players at the horror show at selhurst earlier in the season. He covers ground, has plenty of energy and decent enough on the ball.

I don't see what the alternative is with Gerrard and Lucas out.

Can in midfield and unsettle a defence that works?

Allen very rarely let's the side down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True but if he'd kept his mouth shut before our match I'd have a hell of a lot more sympathy for him.

and not done an interview with the Sun - unacceptable for an ex LFC player and he should know that.
    TheMunch wrote: »

I disagree.
    a) cos you should show respect to opponents and not shoot your mouth off about what you are going to do so as to not end up with egg on your face - as most people do
    and
    b) I do not even think AFC are the favourites. There are a top 2 who are both out then the next 5 who are all about even and of them 3 are still in - so in my eyes those 3 are the equal favourites - us, MUFC and AFC but anyone can win it. We totally outplayed AFC at Anfield pre Christmas and so for sure we could certainly beat them.

The most outspoken I'd say was acceptable at this stage would be to say something like 'We stand a good chance and fear nobody but there are many other teams which stand a good chance too so we will just take it a game at a time and see what happens' - Walcott went way beyond that and I think it could come back to bite him.
This discussion has been closed.