Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'I presume you mean Synaptics' - Yes sorry.

The BSODs were my most serious 'complaint to date because I was getting them 6 or 8 times a day for no reason. But once I shifted my arse to sort out the problem, a Google search showed it was probably the touch pad driver immediately and I sorted it in 10 mins.

I must admit I have only had a couple of BSD with Windows 10, one of them because I reset the bios and forgot to change the Sata mode and the other was, well I do not really know, it done a BSD, rebooted and was ok after that.
    I get software that don't respond sometimes, which I never got with 8.1 or Windows 7 for that matter.

Vegas will get stuck for instance when loading plug ins, I do know a couple of my new blue plug ins do not like 10 for some reason. I have to see if they have updates.
    I'm not worrying about other niggly-nagglies until the Autumn. Most of them will get sorted by MS and 3rd Parties refining their releases.

Clever people will publish fixes and workarounds for the remaining issues afterwards.

Some of these niggles are there from the start and they are not really niggles as such, in that they do work, but it is just I do not like the way they work.
    I never liked the tiles on windows 8.1, nor did a lot of people and yet MS still carry them on in windows 10. Sure they are now on a menu, but it would be nice if MS give people the choice of having tiles or a old style Windows 7 menu.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I must admit I have only had a couple of BSD with Windows 10, one of them because I reset the bios and forgot to change the Sata mode and the other was, well I do not really know, it done a BSD, rebooted and was ok after that.
    I get software that don't respond sometimes, which I never got with 8.1 or Windows 7 for that matter.

Vegas will get stuck for instance when loading plug ins, I do know a couple of my new blue plug ins do not like 10 for some reason. I have to see if they have updates.

Some of these niggles are there from the start and they are not really niggles as such, in that they do work, but it is just I do not like the way they work.
    I never liked the tiles on windows 8.1, nor did a lot of people and yet MS still carry them on in windows 10. Sure they are now on a menu, but it would be nice if MS give people the choice of having tiles or a old style Windows 7 menu.

I haven't bothered to try to mess around with the tiles on the menu, because a lot of stuff is messed up on the menu in my virtualbox install. Quite often when you turn the computer on everything in the menu has the same generic symbol.. Sometimes it resolves itself, sometimes not.

But what happens if you just try to unpin all the tiles from the menu?
    Do some insist on staying there regardless?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    I haven't bothered to try to mess around with the tiles on the menu, because a lot of stuff is messed up on the menu in my virtualbox install. Quite often when you turn the computer on everything in the menu has the same generic symbol.. Sometimes it resolves itself, sometimes not.

But what happens if you just try to unpin all the tiles from the menu?
    Do some insist on staying there regardless?

You can unpin them from the shortcut part of the menu, but you can't get rid of them from the all apps part of the menu. the odd few you can uninstall, but no doubt that uninstall is like Internet Exploder uninstall. It just gets rid of the icons, but it is still there.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Windows pop up, offering to reserve a free windows 10 upgrade. I do not want to download it, unless I know a few answers to my questions,

1-Is this Windows 10 upgrade really free, or will Windows make you pay for it after a certain time?

2-If the Windows 10 upgrade is really free, will the windows updates, like you usually get once a month be free too?

Thanks for any help to these questions. It sounds too good to be true with Microsoft, so I wanted to ask before I download anything.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    I have a Windows pop up, offering to reserve a free windows 10 upgrade. I do not want to download it, unless I know a few answers to my questions,

1-Is this Windows 10 upgrade really free, or will Windows make you pay for it after a certain time?

2-If the Windows 10 upgrade is really free, will the windows updates, like you usually get once a month be free too?

Thanks for any help to these questions. It sounds too good to be true with Microsoft, so I wanted to ask before I download anything.:)

100% free as long as you download it in the the first year. All updates will be free as well. No catch at all.

What I am not sure about is if you download it and decide not to install it for say 18 months will it still be free? The problem is computers go wrong, hard drives give up, windows do break, a lot. So if say your hard drive goes belly up after the first year and you have to reinstall windows, will Windows 10 still install?

So yes if you want Windows 10, it will be free.

I only noticed the icon when someone on another forum posted about it, I tried to get rid of it, but the only way is to hide it.
    I thought I got rid of the update that pushed the upgrade or downgrade which ever way you look at it.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key question is whether to do a clean install or an upgrade. I really do not want to have to faff around reinstalling everything.

So I (and I advise anybody who is going to do an upgrade to do the same) will first make a complete image backup (personally with my tried an trusted friend - Macrium Reflect).

Then I will do the upgrade, and hope it works fine. If I have problems, I can then revert to 8.1 and consider doing a clean install.

Because of the way 8.1 works, I assume it will register version 10 ok without having to call Microsoft as the licence key is built into PC. I assume if I go back to W8.1 it should work the same way as well.

It could be more difficult to go back with Windows 7 though, as you might have to phone Microsoft as the licence will be registered to Windows 10?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if we are going to have the option of a completely clean install of Windows 10?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the upgrade notification on one of my Windows 7 machines today, which was quite surprising as even tho I got a legit windows on my other computer, the computer which got the upgrade notification was from a juicy all in one disc. :D
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn lucky that I don't download any updates for Windows 8.1 at the moment apart from the important ones, I know Windows 10 is coming and I do not need a pop up for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if we are going to have the option of a completely clean install of Windows 10?

Not by looking at the MS comments, it looks like you have to reinstall Windows 7 or 8 and then install Windows 10 again.
    But what happens after the first year, will they allow you to do that?

The best way is to make a image of a basic windows 10 config and used that if you need to reinstall.
    I got images of a basic windows 7 and windows 8.1 using Acronis, so I can go back to windows 7 pretty quick, which I may yet do.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not by looking at the MS comments, it looks like you have to reinstall Windows 7 or 8 and then install Windows 10 again.
    But what happens after the first year, will they allow you to do that?

The best way is to make a image of a basic windows 10 config and used that if you need to reinstall.
    I got images of a basic windows 7 and windows 8.1 using Acronis, so I can go back to windows 7 pretty quick, which I may yet do.
    Please, no!

Just trying to to a refresh install on a Windows 8 PC that had been upgraded to 8.1 was a nightmare. I can't believe they would make it so complicated again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody seems to have mentioned that the release date has been announced today as 29th July.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/11642775/Windows-10-free-to-download-from-July-29.html

I should think this "reserving an upgrade" is just a publicity thing.
    Doubt if they'd refuse you one, presuming your PC met the requirements?
    It's not as if they're likely to run out. :D

I see on preview build 10130 the icon set has returned to much more a standard Windows7/8 look.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody seems to have mentioned that the release date has been announced today as 29th July.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/11642775/Windows-10-free-to-download-from-July-29.html

I should think this "reserving an upgrade" is just a publicity thing.
    Doubt if they'd refuse you one, presuming your PC met the requirements?
    It's not as if they're likely to run out. :D

I see on preview build 10130 the icon set has returned to much more a standard Windows7/8 look.

the reservation option is for a quicker install, windows will download the files in the background ready and let you know when it is ready to install
  • doug35doug35 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Ive had these pop up appear today.my question is this. What if i dont want to install windows 10, im happy with windows 7.will my pc carry on working. I not pc savy and dont feel confindent about changing .also how can you turn off the upgrade notice.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    doug35 wrote: »
    Ive had these pop up appear today.my question is this. What if i dont want to install windows 10, im happy with windows 7.will my pc carry on working. I not pc savy and dont feel confindent about changing .also how can you turn off the upgrade notice.

Just ignore it if you wish. You can remove the prompt too

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Remove-the-Windows-10-Upgrade-Notifications-on-Windows-7-and-8-1-482872.shtml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doug35 wrote: »

Windows 7 will continue to be supported up until 2020, so you can confidently continue to use it at least till then, if you like.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »

You should have a look at Windows 10 as Windows 7 will eventually not be supported.
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Thank you for that.
    Forum Member
    Windows 7 will continue to be supported up until 2020, so you can confidently continue to use it at least till then, if you like.

Again thank you for that.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    I "reserved" my free copy but not really sure what this has entailed. I was intending on holding off until some of the initial fallout has settled.

Since I never provided any details I'm guessing what has happened is that I have effectively traded in my Win7 product key? If that is the case presumably once Win10 is out I wont be able to rebuild using Win7? Or have I now got 2 OS licences? :confused:
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I "reserved" my free copy but not really sure what this has entailed. I was intending on holding off until some of the initial fallout has settled.

Since I never provided any details I'm guessing what has happened is that I have effectively traded in my Win7 product key? If that is the case presumably once Win10 is out I wont be able to rebuild using Win7? Or have I now got 2 OS licences? :confused:

Depends as if you have a branded machine with a branded version of the OS then you'll always be able to go back to the old version as it just checks for a key in the bios and if it matches it'll be happy.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since W10 upgrade will be for free, I guess it will replace the W7 license. You could probably use W7 license elsewhere if it is retail, but it would invalidate the W10 one. Otherwise you could upgrade any computer to W10 for free with only one W7 license.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Since W10 upgrade will be for free, I guess it will replace the W7 license. You could probably use W7 license elsewhere if it is retail, but it would invalidate the W10 one. Otherwise you could upgrade any computer to W10 for free with only one W7 license.
    This is what I was thinking might be the case. Just thinking in the unlikely event that it all goes very pear-shaped (eg. I find a bit of hardware/software doesn't work or my hard disk fails for example) would I be able to reinstall Win7 or even Win10 fresh?
    Maxatoria wrote:
    Depends as if you have a branded machine with a branded version of the OS then you'll always be able to go back to the old version as it just checks for a key in the bios and if it matches it'll be happy.
    It's a self-built PC with an OEM copy of Win7, so presumably I would be prompted to enter a product key at some point if it were a new install.

As Stig pointed out it would be annoying if they insist on Win7 being present and activated beforehand.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that Microsoft are very keen for users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to move to 10 as soon as possible. This is understandable when we consider the straight jacket they have to live with...... which is half the developed world clinging onto an ancient OS (Windows XP).
    But to tempt W7 and W8.1 users surely they will have to offer a fresh install of 10. Many will not be keen to install over the top of an earlier OS, even if it is on top of a clean OS, and that group would include me.
    I see some suggesting that there will not a be (fresh install) W10 download available, but I am not sure why you doubt that this option will be available.....?
    Windows 8.1 has been freely available to anyone that wants it (without any identification) for many months now.

I will probably put W10 on my W7 laptop (subject to the above).
    I am not sure about my Viao Laptop (Windows 8.1) because I cannot rely on the new custodians of this brand to support the product line (with drivers). If I cannot turn off the keyboard backlight that may seem like a trivial matter but to me it is not a trivial matter!
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the free upgrade can only be made in the first year, may I suggest that multiple System Images are scrupulously kept of a newly upgraded and activated machine?

If you need to rebuild/reinstall your system after that you may have to buy a copy of W10 or revert to W7/8/8.1

I will also make two sets of DVDs with a System Image of a W10 Clean Install (or W7/10 Clean Install)

Or near clean, but with a few small extras on. eg unused Firefox/Chrome/Adblock/Ccleaner etc

Nothing that would personalise a machine but be acceptable to sell or pass-on to someone else

Edit: Just remembered you can backup the Activation (I've never done it previously myself)
    I wonder if that could be a possibility and keep the backup in the Cloud as well

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+backup+windows+activation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=fJJsVcGoHNSq8weeyIGYAw