Options

A Knife Set

PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I am looking for a good quality knife set that doesn't cost an arm and a leg but isn't going to fall apart the third time I use them.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and links would be even more appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sabatier work for me. Had them years.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Sabatier are pretty good for the price.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What sort of budget do you have?
  • Options
    Real FanReal Fan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also use Sabatier knives, they are very good quality and will not fall apart. I've had mine for many years.

These are the two I have
    http://www.johnlewis.com/lion-sabatier-fully-forged-paring-knife-10cm/p230843674
    http://www.johnlewis.com/lion-sabatier-fully-forged-chef's-knife-15cm/p230843677

I also have a steel to sharpen them
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that Sabatier isn't a manufacturer (or even brand) in itself and the quality of Sabatier knives from different manufacturers can vary enormously ranging from superb to, well, not.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my Wusthof knives, but if you're on a budget then I'd recommend Ikea Slitbar knives. People may scoff, but I think they're solidly built and wicked sharp. You just have to make sure take care of the wooden handle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Kitchen devils in asda £5 for 2 they're good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Bear in mind that Sabatier isn't a manufacturer (or even brand) in itself and the quality of Sabatier knives from different manufacturers can vary enormously ranging from superb to, well, not.

That is true, I forgot about that. i want a ceramic knife,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kpops wrote: »
    Kitchen devils in asda £5 for 2 they're good!

Too cheap and know doubt end up for ever sharpening them
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a cheapish knife I suggest Victorinox knives.

I used them when I was a chef in the 90's and still use them now, I even have one of the original knives I bought back in 1990 and it's still going strong now.

I get mine from http://www.nisbets.co.uk/3/Kitchen-Chefs-Knives-Victorinox-Knives-%28Swiss%29/c01c02c03.r10.1

Just watch though as the prices exclude VAT.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    All depends what OP wants to spend. A clue would be useful.

For some years I used a set of knives from Betterware which were pretty cheap and they wouldn't ever get blunt.:eek: I still have the paring knife left, it will still cut tomatoes fairly well after 25 years use. .

The knives I have now are of various makes and all much more expensive than the Betterware set. They don't stay sharp for long and need constant edge setting and occasional sharpening. Maybe I'd be better off with some cheap ones. :D

Kitchen Devils get good write-ups on Amazon etc. so if that is the price range wanted then maybe those. :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    That is true, I forgot about that. i want a ceramic knife,
    Just be careful with them as they chip.