Radio saved the video star.

Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 889
Forum Member
✭✭
Listening to the 80s Buggles hit got me thinking. Perhaps back in the early days of MTV, when they actually played music videos, this may have been the case.

But, nowadays, the better music video stations on TV are owned, and/or branded, by radio station groups. So, as the title suggests, it is now a case of radio saving the video star.

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to the 80s Buggles hit got me thinking. Perhaps back in the early days of MTV, when they actually played music videos, this may have been the case.

But, nowadays, the better music video stations on TV are owned, and/or branded, by radio station groups. So, as the title suggests, it is now a case of radio saving the video star.

I don't think there's any real threat to 'video stars', just that the medium of watching them is moving to the internet. Why sit through a channel of which you only like 30-40% of the songs when you can create your own playlists online.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more internet killed the tv star
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of Chris Evans it possibly did.

Radio made him rich
    TV made him famous (and a bit mad for a few years)
    Radio made him slightly less rich (but by all accounts a bit happier)
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet is helping kill the music stations on tv, but they don't help themselves with repetitive playlists.

Also, the artists of today appear very limited. Whether that's down to lack of talent or labels holding them back and making them mainstream is debatable. Most want to 'sing' about having sex to their 12 year old fans, which is concerning.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member
    The music channels were once a great novelty, whether its an age thing or not, but the only music I watch on TV is Later with Jools, and the BBC 4 docs. Plus will dip in and out of any televised festivals.
    I loved MTV with Ray Cokes and others, then I guess you were supposed to progress to VH1, I haven't watched either for years
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also, the artists of today appear very limited. Whether that's down to lack of talent or labels holding them back and making them mainstream is debatable. Most want to 'sing' about having sex to their 12 year old fans, which is concerning.

Don't get me started on that. :(

I agree with the poster who says it's the way we've watched videos that has changed. I think for some artists videos are still a very big deal - people like Lady Gaga and Lana Del Rey put a lot of work into their videos and they still manage to generate hype when they bring a new video out. I don't think music videos are dead yet, but I do think, like everything, they will have their time and will be replaced by something else in the years to come..
  • cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If an artist can't cut it with a song, then no amount of video or exposure should make them appear better then they are.
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music video is going nowhere. Alot of artists put alot of time and money (label) into them as it sells alot more things down the line. Regardless of whether it's on a tv music channel, they are all over the internet and music videos, if anything, will just expand into bigger things with more hashtags and whatever the trend is.

Hashtags, web addresses, sex, swearing, multiple collaborations, advert music - plus much more = music sales. Very little is down to talent.

With talk of internet streaming of videos possibly becoming eligible to count towards chart positions (1000 streams = 1 sale) the internet is only growing stronger and slowly killing music TV.