Stupid order of names on posters

2»

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but do you really think any of his people are going to object to the inclusion of Sir? I don't really see why it's any different to a cinematographer being called "John Doe, ACS"...

Surely, a professional accreditation is relevant while a peerage title is not? :D

Seriously though, I can see the purpose of aversion where contracts are concerned, especially for residuals and taxes, but that still doesn't mean one cannot add a peerage or courtesy title to their professional name.

If I were to make a guess, I think it's more to do with these two reasons: a) avoid confusion and b) tradition/etiquette

a) Jamie Lee Curtis should be credited as "Lady Haden-Guest" as it's her title in real life, but she doesn't allow it. Not surprising as she's far better known as Jamie Lee Curtis.

I also think for adding 'Sir' or 'Lady' to a widely-recognised professional name may cause confusion as some will assume it's a different actor with 'Sir/Lady' as a first professional name. Not surprising, I suppose, since there are actors and industry workers with 'Sir/Lady/Lord/Baron/etc' as their professional first names, and the fact a subtle difference between two names does make a difference, e.g. Michael Fox and Michael J. Fox.

b) from what I see, old timers believed it was vulgar to trade on peerage titles or similar in an industry that revolves around skills, experience and talent. This belief has evolved into a tradition or part of actors' etiquette.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Surely, a professional accreditation is relevant while a peerage title is not? :D

Seriously though, I can see the purpose of aversion where contracts are concerned, especially for residuals and taxes, but that still doesn't mean one cannot add a peerage or courtesy title to their professional name.

If I were to make a guess, I think it's more to do with these two reasons: a) avoid confusion and b) tradition/etiquette

a) Jamie Lee Curtis should be credited as "Lady Haden-Guest" as it's her title in real life, but she doesn't allow it. Not surprising as she's far better known as Jamie Lee Curtis.

I also think for adding 'Sir' or 'Lady' to a widely-recognised professional name may cause confusion as some will assume it's a different actor with 'Sir/Lady' as a first professional name. Not surprising, I suppose, since there are actors and industry workers with 'Sir/Lady/Lord/Baron/etc' as their professional first names, and the fact a subtle difference between two names does make a difference, e.g. Michael Fox and Michael J. Fox.

b) from what I see, old timers believed it was vulgar to trade on peerage titles or similar in an industry that revolves around skills, experience and talent. This belief has evolved into a tradition or part of actors' etiquette.

He got the peerage for acting/service to the British film industry, didn't he? I'm not sure that's entirely irrelevant.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just watched Iron Man 3 and in that it was

"With Jon Favreau

and Ben Kingsley"

Interesting no Sir though. He does seem like a down to earth chap.
    I wonder how many Sirs and Dames use the title in credits?

Actually Kingsley often insists on being called Sir in real life. But that kind of nonsense wouldn't fly on an American movie poster.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Actually Kingsley often insists on being called Sir in real life. But that kind of nonsense wouldn't fly on an American movie poster.

It would, they love the establishment. And if he insists on it in his contract, there'd be nothing they could do about it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got the peerage for acting/service to the British film industry, didn't he? I'm not sure that's entirely irrelevant.

Only as a nod of thanks. That kind of accolade, imo, is more to do with keeping Britain's flag flying in form of keeping the domestic industry alive or being known as British than to do with acting skills.
    Semierotic wrote: »

And on a British film poster. Also, film posters of the world. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted. Wrong thread. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not movies so slightly off topic, but in the tv show Cheers, Ted Danson and Shelly Long insisted on equal top billing in the opening credits, so if you read it top to bottom Shelly is first, but left to right, its Danson ! Here >

http://fontsinuse.com/static/reviews/0/526f765e/full/2013-10-4328cheers11.jpg
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Vegas has an all-star cast that they are selling the whole movie on (michael douglas, robert deniro, morgan freeman, kevin kline) and although i havnt seen the film..i thought it was interesting that on the poster michael douglas name was before robert de niro's in the billing.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Nothing beats "The Towering Inferno"

The poster credits went like this...

............................STEVE MCQUEEN
    PAUL NEWMAN

..............................OTHER BLOKE

..................................AND ANOTHER

............................................AND HIM

..................................WITH HER
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »
    It's irked me for years why so many film posters plaster the names of the actors out of sync with the image of the poster. American Hustle is another perfect example...

Poster features a "team line-up" of 5 main starts stood in a line in this order (left to right):
    Cooper, Adams, Bale, Lawrence and Renner.
    Along the top it has names printed in this order:
    Bale, Cooper, Adams, Renner and Lawrence.

This means every star has someone else's name emblazoned directly above their head... it just looks sloppy. As I say, this seems to be the case in lots of posters and I just don't get why makers can't do something as simple as align photos/names on a poster instead of seemingly wilfully doing it in a disjointed fashion all the time?
    I was stuff in traffic today lokking that this billboard trying to work out how they designed it :D

At first I was thinking alphabetically
    Bale, Cooper, Renner...... then it went to Adams
    So maybe the Men then the Women but then why is does Lawrence get a "with" infront of her name?

Boggles the mind :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    The relative position and size of star names on a poster is very important to the actors concerned. But these days they can surely photoshop up a version of their preferred stills from the movie to match the position of the names.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    So maybe the Men then the Women but then why is does Lawrence get a "with" infront of her name?

Because she was the very recent Oscar-winner with huge buzz surrounding her, so her name was very much being used to sell the movie, but she only had a supporting role so couldn't really be listed first. Plus I guess the 'and' before her name kind of makes her stand out as well...