Options

Unknown long/expensive call made by mobile

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My wife's mobile phone bill contains an inexplicable 4 hour call to a non-geographic number that is well known as a source of nuisance tele-marketing calls.
The call was clearly not deliberately made by her and, given the time it was supposedly made, it's almost certain she didn't inadvertently initiate the call and neither did she take a call at this time either..... she barely use the phone more than a few times per week and this rogue outgoing call sits in her call log with nothing around it all day at a time we're all in bed.
My simple question is this: Is it conceivable that fraudsters have found a way of ringing a mobile and somehow initiating an outgoing call or somehow reversing the call charges? Or, given it's a smartphone (Iphone) could she have picked up some sort of virus/malware/bug that "takes the phone over" and makes the call?
Sorry if these ideas sound outlandish - it's just that I'm not up on what sort of nasty things are possible with mobiles nowadays and cannot fathom how this call happened.

Comments

• Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    has she been called by this number so it was in the call log and somehow redialed it accidentally?
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - it was in her call log about 4 entries before the latest but she is clueless how to access such things and it's difficult to see how she'd accidently wake phone, unlock phone, select phone or contacts icon, select call log, scroll down it, dial the one number that would rack up £££s and walk off? Anyway, I accept that "inadvertent operator error" cannot be totally and 100% ruled out. but irrespective of that... my question is more about understanding if nefarious individuals can fraudulently "hack" or target phones of unsuspecting individuals with sophisticated viruses or if that sort of stuff is not really happening. I should add that the mobile provider have admitted they are currently looking at 3 similar cases involving this number and that's what leads me to think there is some sort of hack going on.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the iPhone has accidently unlocked in her bag etc, then dialed the number back. I get a few calls a year from people doing this by mistake. Answer the call and can just hear them going about their day in the background.

My phone done it once when it was in my pocket. It does happen.