Rank these diva's based on their vocal ability/voice

DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would like to see who you guys think has the best voice. Now I'm not strictly talking vocal ability (Xtina comes to mind) but generally who you think has the best voice overall.

15 Divas in alphabetical order.

Avril Lavigne
Beyonce
Britney
Christina Aguilera
Katy Perry
Kelly Clarkson
Kesha
Kylie
Lady Gaga
Lana Del Rey
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Rihanna
Shakira

Comments

• floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're all equally shit.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol Britney would be a mile below the rest.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink. Oh oops...
    Clarkson, Gaga, Del Rey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina Aguilera
    Mariah Carey
    Beyonce
    Kelly Clarkson
    Lady Gaga
    Rihanna
    Madonna
    Lana Del Rey
    Avril Lavigne
    Shakira
    Kylie
    Britney
    Katy Perry
    Kesha
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Pink. Oh oops...
    Clarkson, Gaga, Del Rey.

Ugh, I was just saying how pink gets ignored and I forgot her :cry:
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey = Technically, she is the best singer out of all of them. Range, power, technique, etc. We all know Mariah.
    Kelly Clarkson = Very underrated in my opinion. I don't like her music, but her voice is sublime.
    Beyonce = Not my cup of tea, but the woman can sing.
    Christina Aguilera = Again, not my cup of tea, but she's good. Credit where deserved.
    Lana Del Rey = Lana would be below Mariah for me, but her live performances question her true vocal ability.
    Lady Gaga = A good singer, but a little bit...generic sounding.
    Rihanna = Very nasal, but with the right key she actually sounds pretty good.
    Britney Spears = I'll pretend this is old Britney, as she was once quite a singer!
    Shakira = A good voice. Not a great voice, but there's something there.
    Katy Perry = Well...she's the only one left who can actually hold a note.
    Madonna = Madonna has never prided herself on singing. Neither will I.
    Avril Lavigne = I do like Avril. She's like the original rock chick. But she can't sing.
    Ke$ha = define:autotune
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Mariah Carey = Technically, she is the best singer out of all of them. Range, power, technique, etc. We all know Mariah.
    Kelly Clarkson = Very underrated in my opinion. I don't like her music, but her voice is sublime.
    Beyonce = Not my cup of tea, but the woman can sing.
    Christina Aguilera = Again, not my cup of tea, but she's good. Credit where deserved.
    Lana Del Rey = Lana would be below Mariah for me, but her live performances question her true vocal ability.
    Lady Gaga = A good singer, but a little bit...generic sounding.
    Rihanna = Very nasal, but with the right key she actually sounds pretty good.
    Britney Spears = I'll pretend this is old Britney, as she was once quite a singer!
    Shakira = A good voice. Not a great voice, but there's something there.
    Katy Perry = Well...she's the only one left who can actually hold a note.
    Madonna = Madonna has never prided herself on singing. Neither will I.
    Avril Lavigne = I do like Avril. She's like the original rock chick. But she can't sing.
    Ke$ha = define:autotune

:o:o:o:o:o
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey
    Beyonce
    Christina Aguilera (when she's on, amazing but she can sound dire.)
    Kelly Clarkson
    Lana Del Rey
    Lady Gaga
    Kylie (actually a pretty good singer)
    Avril Lavigne
    Madonna
    Shakira
    Rihanna
    Britney
    Kesha
    Katy Perry
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey
    Beyonce
    Christina Aguilera
    Lady Gaga
    Lana Del Rey
    Kelly Clarkson
    Shakira
    Kylie
    Avril Lavigne
    Madonna
    Rihanna
    Kesha
    Katy Perry
    Britney
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what makes somebody a great singer really? Is it pure technical ability and just cause you like their voice and it makes an impact on you?

If you're talking real out and out technical vocal ability you would have to say Beyonce, Aguilera, Carey, Rihanna and Lana Del Rey (hell yes Lana!) are the top of the tree you've written out. Personally I find the first 3 I listed a bit of a manufactured yawn at times, but I cannot deny their vocal talents. Rihanna has a cracking pair of lungs but seems to be increasingly more and more smashed on drugs and more interesting in showing off her cracking pair at every opportunity. Her vocal skills seem to be on the wane because of this, but at her best she has a stunning voice.

Lana for me would for me come top and I don't just say that because I am a fan. Her voice is just totally unique and that's why I feel she deserves a paragraph or two to herself! I honestly do not think any other singer out there could sing quite like she does. I've said this before on these boards; Stunningly beautiful voice, but whats even more remarkable is how she uses the whopping amount of vocal range she's got in songs. She can literally fly through the octaves; in her songs she often bounces between singing in her trademark deep husky voice to glass shatteringly high notes. Very technically hard to do, yet she makes it seem effortless.

She took one hell of a lot of stick over her early TV performances where she seemed to implode and go into some sort of stage fright from hell. But she knuckled down beat the nerves and she's doing some of the best live shows on the planet now. And you know what that shows? Something good actually, that she's not a robot and she sings with real emotion. Now that emotion is going in the right positive direction she's doing truly great things on stage.

As for the rest on that list whether the rest are as technically good is debatable but I wouldn't say that doesn't make them great singers to their fans too.

Take Madonna. I've always loved Madonna's voice. Some people would say her live shows are more about dance routines and spectacle than a great vocal, but I cannot put Madonna down for that. She's been the template for most female pop singers since. She might not be technically the best singer but she just has a powerful instantly recognisable voice that you know is her instantly.

And I'm sure fans of Lady Gaga, Kylie, Britney, Ke$ha, Katy Perry and co. would put them at the top of the list just because they love the sound of their voice above anything else.

So its all subjective!
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would put Lana top!

But if Leona was on that list she would be top.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Out of those I listen to

Lady Gaga
    Madonna
    Katy Perry
    Rihanna
    Britney
    Kylie

The others are not my cup of tea as I think they are too noisy and shout rather than sing.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Take Madonna. I've always loved Madonna's voice. Some people would say her live shows are more about dance routines and spectacle than a great vocal, but I cannot put Madonna down for that. She's been the template for most female pop singers since. She might not be technically the best singer but she just has a powerful instantly recognisable voice that you know is her instantly.

I totally agree,
    this is why she has always been my fave female artist!
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xtina has lost most of her tone through shouting, I'm not sure she could compete these days.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson
    Xtina
    Mariah Carey
    Beyoncé
    Shakira
    Gaga
    Rihanna (although she can be hit or miss live)
    Avril Lavigne
    Kylie
    Britney Spears
    Madonna
    Lana Del Rey
    Katy Perry
    Kesha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floog wrote: »

Winner.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what makes somebody a great singer really? Is it pure technical ability and just cause you like their voice and it makes an impact on you?

If you're talking real out and out technical vocal ability you would have to say Beyonce, Aguilera, Carey, Rihanna and Lana Del Rey (hell yes Lana!) are the top of the tree you've written out.
    This nullifies your entire post. Lana Del Rey is not a technical singer. She is an emotive singer. And don't get me started on Rihanna, who is neither.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floog wrote: »

You could probably rank them in terms of vocal ability - but at the end of the day it's about the music and songs they put their names too. For example. Mariah has a powerful voice but I'd rather listen power tools than stomach one of her albums. I'd only really want to listen to Lana from that list, I could handle a few songs from Beyoncé and fame monster Lady Gaga - but the rest would be torture. But Lana is probably one of the weaker ones on that list in terms of vocal ability (obvisously ahead of Britney the true nadir of talent) so really who gives a ****.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging on how they sound NOW in 2014:

Beyonce
    Christina Aguilera
    Kelly Clarkson
    Lady Gaga
    Shakira
    Mariah Carey
    Rihanna
    Kylie
    Avril Lavigne
    Madonna
    Katy Perry
    Kesha
    Lana Del Rey
    Britney Spears
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Christina Aguilera
    2. Beyonce
    3. Mariah Carey
    4. Kylie
    5. Lana Del Rey
    6. Shakira
    7. Rihanna
    8. Avril Lavigne
    9. Madonna
    10. Katy Perry
    11. Kelly Clarkson
    12. Lady Gaga
    13. Britney
    14. Kesha
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Mariah though. Now she's just..ugh. Christina all the way. Just listen to Burlesque.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How I would rank them right this minute? And it's based more on personal preference than actual talent? Okey dokey.

Lana Del Rey
    Beyonce
    Britney
    Kelly Clarkson
    Gaga
    Xtina
    Rihanna
    Kylie
    Madonna
    Avril
    Shakira
    Mariah
    Katy
    Kesha

I actually like Kesha a lot lol, but whilst her voice is nice it isn't that strong.
    As for putting Britney so high up, I just love her voice! So unique and she conveys emotion well, that's how I define a good singer.
    And as for putting Mariah near the bottom, God she's awful now, can barely sing in anything but a whisper.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Only one I rate at all out of that list, is Madge.

Oh alright then. And Kylie.
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna rank them on their peaks as for example Beyonce is better than Mariah now, but Beyonce couldn't touch Mariah in the 90's

1. Mariah
    2. Christina
    3. Beyonce
    4. Kelly Clarkson
    5. Lady Gaga
    6. Rihanna
    7. Lana del Ray
    8. Kylie
    9. Avril Lavigne
    10. Katy Perry
    11. Britney
    12. Madonna
    13. Shakira
    14. Ke$ha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    1) Kelly Clarkson
    2) Beyonce
    3) Mariah Carey
    4) Lana Del Rey
    5) Lady Gaga
    6) Avril Lavigne
    7) Shakira
    8) Kylie
    9) Rihanna
    10) Madonna
    11) Kesha
    12) Britney
    13) Christina Aguilera (I'm sorry, I just can not stand her voice)
    14) Katy Perry