Options

Corrie Tina's Mother - what is the point of her?

Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This awful daft looking woman was never there for her daughter when her dad died, she had the abortion, did the surrogacy, split up with Tommy.... the list goes on but she has time to turn up to Weatherfield and sit boozing in the Rovers feeling sorry for herself!>:( A totally needless character that is not particularly well acted either IMO.

Comments

• Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how she singled out Rob is this the writer's attempt at putting the wind up him? Will he kill her because she is somehow onto him? And why on earth isn't she running round screaming at Carla or Peter about murdering her daughter, it's as if Tina died from natural causes
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,962
    Forum Member
    Her voice drives me mad. She sounds really dopey.
  • Options
    MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been better if she'd turned up at the hospital (played by a different actor). Bringing her in after Tina's death is pointless.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I'd have found it really annoying if she hadn't turned up. It's all very well saying that she wasn't there for Tina in life but lots of people don't have close relationships with their parents and don't spend as much time with them as they could / should but a premature death o's different. It is something that would bring a parent out of the woodwork my only issue is that she didn't turn up at the Hospital.

I don't think she's drippy, just she'll shocked. I don't think it's properly sunk in and she feels guilty for not having been closer to her in life. It is odd that she's not sitting there going "but who'd want to kill her" but maybe she just hasn't processed it was murder yet - as I say she's till in shock, anger at the circumstances will come later.

Narratively, she is there to keep reminding Rob of what he's done and pile even more pressure onto Carla.
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Narratively, she is there to keep reminding Rob of what he's done and pile even more pressure onto Carla.
    True, but I wish she'd do one.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People complain when relatives don't turn up after someone dies!- Now the opposite.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too wondered why she had turned up, I wonder is there a developing storyline there
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    People complain when relatives don't turn up after someone dies!- Now the opposite.

She turned up too late. She should have been there at the hospital but Rita had to be the centre of attention and be told of Tina's death first. In reality, Tina's mother would
    have been have been there not Rita.

Tina's mother is now secondary to the plot and there so that Carla can have a rant and Rita can play the big I am.

It's the fault of the Corrie writers who churn out this unbelievable crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    maybe she has a cat fight with Gail..handbags at the ready , ladies :D
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More to the point why can't she act? It seems that they've just found someone off the street to play her! They should of brought back the first woman that played her.
  • Options
    Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tina's mum is so drippy and seems too scared to speak out. The actress is really awful. I can't put into words how much I hate the scenes she is in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does she even know Tina had a baby and gave it to Izzy and Garry ? Maybe she is back to get the baby back or kidnaps him
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i guess its just to show that Tina once had a life outside of weatherfield :)
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    The point of Tina's mother was so that Rita would have someone to say, "Tina was loved!" over and over again to.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Does she even know Tina had a baby and gave it to Izzy and Garry ? Maybe she is back to get the baby back or kidnaps him

But Tina was only the carrier, the baby does not have any of the Mcintire genes.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is so bad. You'd think her goldfish had just died, not her daughter.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mitten wrote: »
    It would have been better if she'd turned up at the hospital (played by a different actor). Bringing her in after Tina's death is pointless.

BIB: Totally agree with this, even if she lived on a remote Antipodean island could have got home before they had her turning up on the street!!!! This aspect of the storytelling is silly, everyone is right, she should have been at the hospital.
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I'd have found it really annoying if she hadn't turned up. It's all very well saying that she wasn't there for Tina in life but lots of people don't have close relationships with their parents and don't spend as much time with them as they could / should but a premature death o's different. It is something that would bring a parent out of the woodwork my only issue is that she didn't turn up at the Hospital.

I don't think she's drippy, just she'll shocked. I don't think it's properly sunk in and she feels guilty for not having been closer to her in life. It is odd that she's not sitting there going "but who'd want to kill her" but maybe she just hasn't processed it was murder yet - as I say she's till in shock, anger at the circumstances will come later.

As per, I agree!

I know she's supposed to be a bit numb but I think I'd be more suspicious of people than she's being, I'd be looking at them and thinking "did you kill her? do you know who killed her?" Maybe she feels overwhelmed by Rita taking control and telling her that everyone loved Tina (and she's naturally getting comfort from that) but somebody obviously didn't and as a mum you'd think that that thought would be at the forefront of her mind. If it was me I'd have probably have been screaming in poor Carla's face "DID YOU KILL MY DAUGHTER!!!!!" when Carla was talking at her last night but she just stood there, well, dumb looking, expressionless. Where's her fire? Where's her anger?

LOL, very true :D It's the timing of her turning up which is grating I think.
    danyell wrote: »
    More to the point why can't she act? It seems that they've just found someone off the street to play her! They should of brought back the first woman that played her.

I read somewhere (I think on DS) that she speaks her lines like she's reading them off a beer mat. Kudos to whoever said that because unfortunately I have to agree!

Say what you like about Tina but she was alive, she was forceful, you knew she was there under any circumstances. This woman has as much presence as a soggy beer mat and I can fully understand if she drove Tina up the wall. Even when relating the force of love she felt for Tina when she gave birth - she ended up making it sound about as forceful as a slowly dripping tap!

But I'm cutting her some slack. Perhaps she's embarrassed because everyone knows her and Tina didn't have a great relationship and everyone seemed to have known her daughter better than she did. It's also hitting home that Tina effectively chose her own mother-figure in Rita and it was her that Tina confided in/talked to and this realisation is making her all the more depressed and feeling a bit of a failure as a mum? (even though everyone knew that Tina was the ultimate Daddy's girl!)
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a really badly written character. She doesn't seem too upset, it's like Tina just slipped away quietly from old age. Then there's the fact her presence is odd from the start, seeing as she's been absent for everything in Tina's life for six years - does she even know her daughter gave birth last year?

I'm hesitant to say she's a bad actress, but there has to be something in it because she isn't believable.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the first ever case of a birth mother being about 30 years younger than a stepmother?

Or, to put it another way, a second wife who's 30 years older than the first wife.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was stupidly handled. Why wasn't she at the hospital when Tina was first admitted? Why was it Rita that contacted her and not the hospital or the police? Her mother can't live that far that she can't turn up. It was stupid during the hospital scenes when the doctor referred to the likes of Rita, David and Rob as relatives when they weren't.

Shouldn't the mum be a bit annoyed at the fact nobody called her sooner?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i was thinking Linda Lusardi could have played Tina's mum..she would have been better actress than this one lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    It was stupidly handled. Why wasn't she at the hospital when Tina was first admitted? Why was it Rita that contacted her and not the hospital or the police? Her mother can't live that far that she can't turn up. It was stupid during the hospital scenes when the doctor referred to the likes of Rita, David and Rob as relatives when they weren't.

Shouldn't the mum be them.a bit annoyed at the fact nobody called her sooner?

I thought exactly the same thing...if it was me I'd be in the Rovers tearing off heads and lining them up on the bar, not sitting drinking with them It was one of the worst prepared story lines ever. There was the big Tina's death buildup and bam it was like they lost their train of thought...
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i was thinking Linda Lusardi could have played Tina's mum..she would have been better actress than this one lol

And Linda's pretty bad herself. But up against Tina's Mum she's Judi Dench's standard! :D
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And she looks nothing like Tina either
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the fact that we knew Tina was leaving for 14 Months, they should have brought in Tina's mother at around, November/Christmas time and we could have seen them grow closer ect ect...and then the death...