Why would Mick take the wrap for someone he barely knows?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Denise keeps asking this question to Linda. What's the answer? It seemed quite cut and dry (for a soap) but then why does Denise keep repeating it as if it's significant?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's because mick has something to do with Lucy and he feels he owes ian something. I hope not though I want the Carter's to stay well away from this storyline
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mick taking the rap for Ian was meant to be a catalyst for the dark path the Carters now seem to be on. I don't believe Mick had any ulterior motive for doing it; he empathised with Ian over losing Lucy as he thought about what it would be like to lose one of his own children like that, and he wanted to support Ian even though it was obviously the wrong thing to do. Mick is essentially a nice guy, and Ian took advantage of that, but I think after this we'll see Mick possibly becoming more selfish and not as understanding towards others.

We've then got Linda wondering if Mick really loves her; this is going to feed into Dean's growing obsession with her as he tries to take advantage and eventually rapes her.

I know that people on here complained about the swimming storyline at the time but I think it's quite bittersweet, looking back, as that was probably the last time we'd see the Carters looking truly happy for quite some time. They're heading for an almighty fallout and I now understand why they established them as such a close knit family when they came in. The contrast to how they were when they first came in is going to be brutal come Christmas time.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though Mick hasn't known Ian long, Ian taught him to swim and helped him overcome his phobia of water, which he had for many years so that is quite substantial. Also, Ian's daughter has been murdered. Add it all together and I think it's understandable that Mick would want to help.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I think Mick taking the rap for Ian was meant to be a catalyst for the dark path the Carters now seem to be on. I don't believe Mick had any ulterior motive for doing it; he empathised with Ian over losing Lucy as he thought about what it would be like to lose one of his own children like that, and he wanted to support Ian even though it was obviously the wrong thing to do. Mick is essentially a nice guy, and Ian took advantage of that, but I think after this we'll see Mick possibly becoming more selfish and not as understanding towards others.

We've then got Linda wondering if Mick really loves her; this is going to feed into Dean's growing obsession with her as he tries to take advantage and eventually rapes her.

I know that people on here complained about the swimming storyline at the time but I think it's quite bittersweet, looking back, as that was probably the last time we'd see the Carters looking truly happy for quite some time. They're heading for an almighty fallout and I now understand why they established them as such a close knit family when they came in. The contrast to how they were when they first came in is going to be brutal come Christmas time.

I loved the swimming story. It was nice to see Ian helping someone else without an ulterior motive and it gave him something to focus on as well as helping Mick. I'm attracted o swimming myself - I haven't done it since my childhood, but these days I think it would be an awful nuisance to wear earplugs and verruca socks and I've also got my periods getting in the way. :(
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Because the script told him too. Haha :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Even though Mick hasn't known Ian long, Ian taught him to swim and helped him overcome his phobia of water, which he had for many years so that is quite substantial. Also, Ian's daughter has been murdered. Add it all together and I think it's understandable that Mick would want to help.

I think it is but why did Denise say it twice to Linda?
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »

Just goes to show what a terrible idea it is to move to Albert Square.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as if Mick offered or approached Ian. He ended up in the situation after he confronted Rainie. He didn't know what he was getting into. Ian guilt tripped him into taking the blame. He felt unable to say no to a father who had lost his daughter.
  • lovinglifelovinglife Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Maybe because he is too sympathetic? Also, he didn't decide to get involved. As the above poster says, he didn't know what he was getting himself into.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why he'd do it and let his family suffer the consequences of what he did.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows why mick took the blame when he explained it to linda.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why he'd do it and let his family suffer the consequences of what he did.

Neither do I.
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Everyone knows why mick took the blame when he explained it to linda.

so what denise said - just sloppy writing that makes no sense?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    nicluc wrote: »
    so what denise said - just sloppy writing that makes no sense?

I think she said it to cause trouble for mick and Linda, as she was angry at Linda for lying to her.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    He doesn't "barely know him" at all, they've been friendly for months. They've known each other 8 months, that's hardly half an hour. Mick also didn't choose the situation, it largely just happened to him.
  • pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Mick & Linda think Lee was involved in Lucy's Death.
    Linda's police interview she ended up mentioning Lee etc

I dont think Lee was involved though & that will be a Red herring.
    I can picture a scene with Mick confronting Lee eventually
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the swimming story. It was nice to see Ian helping someone else without an ulterior motive and it gave him something to focus on as well as helping Mick. I'm attracted o swimming myself - I haven't done it since my childhood, but these days I think it would be an awful nuisance to wear earplugs and verruca socks and I've also got my periods getting in the way. :(

I found the water kept getting in my way and trying to drown me last time I tried:blush:
    I liked the storyline too. i think Mick just likes to get involved and being a nice guy he wanted to help his friend
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I liked Mick and Ian's friendship and the swimming story was great imo and I loved the swimming gala with the music and everything, I loved the warm fuzziness of it and it's sad the way things have gone since and even sadder that it's set to get darker.

I think Mick just wanted to help Ian out but he shouldn't have told Stan that he slept with Rainie when he didn't though as that didn't make sense.

I do wonder as well if Mick has a connection to the Lucy murder.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually loved the Mick/Ian swimming story cheesy or not.

Ian helped him overcome a lifelong phobia and lifted a huge burden from Mick's shoulders.

So I can understand that Mick feels a real fondness for Ian - and I hope this is not forgotten when Philth inevitably turns on him again as soon as he feels he does not have to impress Sharon anymore.

Mick KTFO Philth would be my favourite scene of the decade.

But it will never happen of course. :(
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I loved the swimming story too, it was really refreshing and just lovely. Something new that wasn't all frantic drama, without being stupid like the missing post/Dot and the snake etc.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a rap not a wrap
    Forum Member
    srhgts wrote: »
    He doesn't "barely know him" at all, they've been friendly for months. They've known each other 8 months, that's hardly half an hour. Mick also didn't choose the situation, it largely just happened to him.

I should've put the post title in quotes - people keep thinking that I said it when I am quoting Denise.
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    It's a rap not a wrap

Chill out.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the impression it's suppose to be the start of showing the cracks in the foundation in Mick and Linda's relationship leading to the darker path mentioned for the family.

Most people wouldn't take on other peoples problems like that and put there family first but Mick has been showing signs recently his not willing to do that.
  • storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very spur of the moment thing, Mick thought he was just going to take the blame for Ian and then Ian would sort things out. Ian guilt tripped him and told him that his life would be ruined and Mick I guess thought it was his way of repaying Ian for the swimming lessons. Mick didn't quite realise it would be more complex.