Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments

• *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I finally finished the book last month, I tried to read it back when it came out and everyone was raving about it, it's exactly the sort of book I would expect to like, but I found it so dull, I kept trying and never got further than about a third of the way through and eventually gave up (I rarely give up on books but this did defeat me). When I heard they were televising it I thought I'd give it another go and did get to the end this time, I still found it dull but was determined to finish it. That being said the trailers do look very good and if they are anything to go by it does look as though it will be better on the screen and I am willing to give it a go :)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised anyone would find the book dull. Admittedly it is slow at the beginning as the first part concentrates on Norrell (who is difficult to warm to) but as soon as the 'Gentleman' and Jonathan Strange appear it certainly picks up. I guess that the TV adaption will cut some of the lengthy introduction which just features Norrell and will introduce both of the magicians to us early on.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the book too. Interminable and dreary, and all those bloody footnotes were a PITA. An original idea that was way overdone.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh no. Please don't start with this mumblespeak again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's Adam Ant the senior years.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about this but will give it another go next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I'm still biding my time with this, looks good though , anyone else watching?
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Ghespetti wrote: »
    I'm still biding my time with this, looks good though , anyone else watching?

I. think the thread for this programme is in the Cult TV section
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I think it looks good...I really enjoyed it.
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Gave it a go, but not my thing, and gave up after half an hour. Found it dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was OK. Some of the acting was a bit hammy but I suppose that's to be expected with a fantasy drama like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Cult TV? I'm finding a slow burner as well but keeping on lo! *digs nails in*
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it. Thought it was excellent. Captured the feel perfectly, well put together and very well cast.

Looking forward to next week.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it - especially the bit in York Minister with the statues of the kings arguing with each other

Really had me gripped - and not a lot does that these days!
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    I liked it - I don't think any production could live up to the book because her writing style is such a big part of its charm, well it was for me anyway, but this was pretty much how I pictured things when I read it.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great start. I loved the book when it first came out, but found I could never reread it, perhaps because I found the story so unusual thatI could remember what was going to happen. Did wonder how it would be condensed for a TV adaptation, so I'm so glad I wasn't disappointed.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it. Thought it was excellent. Captured the feel perfectly, well put together and very well cast.

Looking forward to next week.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made all the better by picturing the utterly bemused faces of middle-aged women tuning in hoping for more shirtless Poldarkian action.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not read the book, bit interested by the trailers. For a hour I thought it was good. One thing I think would have been better would be to make the first episode 90 mins so the main protagonists could at least meet. I'm well aware the individual story's have to be explained but having to wait till next week feels odd. Also not enough Jonathan Strange ! ( Bertie is quite cute !) I will definitely watch next week !
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brillant, but as usual with many programmes, its the wrong time of year for this. These sorts of things are much better on long winter evenings when you can snuggle down with hot chocolates and watch spooky or fantasy things from ye olden days.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I. think the thread for this programme is in the Cult TV section

That explains a lot. I'm afraid I'd never heard of the book on which it's based, so it all appeared nonsense to me. I suppose it could gain a cult following, but it's not my kind of thing at all.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I haven't read the book but they were talking about it on the radio this afternoon. They said it should be slow to start but then then it should pick up and get quite exciting.

I watched and quite liked, so will definitely watch again. Anything with Eddie Marsan in it has got to be good.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    My god, that was boring stuff. I was expecting great things, but all I got was another turgid costume drama, and Marc Warren looking like the king of the fairies, but not the supernatural kind.

Okay, there has to be scene setting and character introductions, etc, etc. but surely some of the budget could've been used on a single decent special effect. For example, Marc Warren just appears in shot, not even stepping from elsewhere as well as Dr Who might've managed.

I'll give it another go, of course, anticipating that some of the fantastical stuff in the book must have been recreated. But really, I wonder how many potential fans simply fell asleep waiting for something interesting to happen, and instead of taking another chance will be watching paint dry next week.
  • VerrillionVerrillion Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Very bad timing with three other good programmes on at same time was hard to keep up with the plot in the adverts.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. It was well made, well cast and well acted. I do wonder whether it wouldn't have been more suitable for BBC2 and it'll be interesting to see how it fares in the ratings. I suspect it went over most people's heads, tbh.