Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments

• Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy at the beginning who turned up at Mr Norrell's house after pretending to the book-shop owner that he was interested in books about clouds & the guy who's horrible dad died - are they the same person?:confused:
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it - magic and mystery is right up my street. Really liked Paul Kaye as Vinculus and the general tone and atmosphere. However I do think it should have been on in the autumn/early winter - and as others have said it probably should have been on BBC2 - can't see a BBC1 audience engaging with it.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very original for a tv drama, I liked it. Its the sort of thing only the BBC or HBO would attempt.

The female characters felt under cast though with unmemorable performances, though I'm all for new faces. The male characters seem well cast.

Its beautifully set in the studio scenes, that seemed to strain the HD encoder at times resulting in a fairly soft picture for the level of detail that was clearly there.

It has that "we must go slow to fill the hour pace" that effects some BBC dramas versus their US equivalents that just go to a break.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Too many lines muttered or gabbled.
    Wish actors would do us the courtesy of speaking clearly. Its the least they can do.

It's another reason why I hardly watch anything now. Also delivering dialogue in a hoarse whisper instead of talking normally - why?
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy at the beginning who turned up at Mr Norrell's house after pretending to the book-shop owner that he was interested in books about clouds & the guy who's horrible dad died - are they the same person?:confused:

No...
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I thought judging something as "cult" happened long after its release? And often after it was a flop on release? You can't just decide something is going to be a cult, can you?

That makes me wonder whether there'll be an "emperor's new clothes" effect.

Is that not just a decision of the Digital Spy editors? Like hiding some programmes away under Reality when most people would never consider them in that classification.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think I would like it, but it wasn't bad, I shall perservere with it .
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,041
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    I haven't read the book but they were talking about it on the radio this afternoon. They said it should be slow to start but then then it should pick up and get quite exciting.

I watched and quite liked, so will definitely watch again. Anything with Eddie Marsan in it has got to be good.

I think Eddie Marsan is a great actor too, but I always forget his name and have to look it up. :( I always enjoy things that he's in. Glad he's got a starring role this time.

I liked the first episode and will be watching again next week.
  • digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Loved it, although was a little slow to start with, looking forward to next week
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no problems hearing the actors, but I always go HD and pump up the volume to 20.

Eddie Marsan always seems to act much older than in real life. I saw him on BBC morning news last week, and was much younger looking than I expected.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I struggled to hear what was being said at key moments as the dialogue wasn't clear.
    But apart from that it looks promising, as long as they ensure that the dialogue is clear at all times.

Recently I have watched some good American series, and watching this quite soon after it felt a bit flat. And I think that's because the style seems to be very 'BBCish', if that makes sense to anyone.
    The story looks promising, but the production feels quite generic and stiff, like it was made as a stuffy costume drama, which usually bore me. This didn't completely bore me as the story seems to have enough about it for me to tune in again, I quite enjoyed it, but I think the direction feels quite dated and lacks flair.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dire rubbish. The novel gave some critics orgasms because they wrongly thought it's a jayne austin pasticche. In fact it's sub sub harry potter ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the reality of napoleonic era england is dire poverty with revolution only just averted by the rise of methodism ........
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this supposed to be set in London or a fictitious city? The buildings didn't really look like buildings in London but the cityscape scenes were very well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's another reason why I hardly watch anything now. Also delivering dialogue in a hoarse whisper instead of talking normally - why?

almost certainly because the sound was mixed in 5.1 but u r watching either the 2.0 or mono version. A similar problem exists with stereo radio drama when listened to in mono ....... technicians are supposed to check compatibility but in reality don't have the time ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this supposed to be set in London or a fictitious city? The buildings didn't really look like buildings in London but the cityscape scenes were very well done.

supposedly this is "alternative reality", just as,Tolkeins "the shire" is a bucolic version of england ......
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    supposedly this is "alternative reality", just as,Tolkeins "the shire" is a bucolic version of england ......

I see. Thanks.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

The show reminded me more of "Gormenghast" by Mervyn Peake-another fantasy
    take on English society.

I didn't quite get into this-the plot seemed a bit rambling, and the only bit I really
    enjoyed was when the statues came to life. But I'll give it another look next
    week.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't understand what happened at the end -

when the 'demon' appears to Norrel , what deal did they make ? Does the demon get to control the girl for half her life ? and did Norrel know who this demon was ? etc.

• marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed it - magic and mystery is right up my street. Really liked Paul Kaye as Vinculus and the general tone and atmosphere. However I do think it should have been on in the autumn/early winter - and as others have said it probably should have been on BBC2 - can't see a BBC1 audience engaging with it.

Oh dear, now I'm confused. i manage to watch both channels and more.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    almost certainly because the sound was mixed in 5.1 but u r watching either the 2.0 or mono version. A similar problem exists with stereo radio drama when listened to in mono ....... technicians are supposed to check compatibility but in reality don't have the time ......

I have no idea what this means, but thanks anyway. I've only got a bog standard TV but I do feel I'm still entitled to be able to hear what actors are saying.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I increasingly use subtitles to support the dialogue - either actors mumble, or there is outside filming, or perhaps the sound on my flat-screen TV is not as good as it was on my older TV? I might invest in a sound-box.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    The show reminded me more of "Gormenghast" by Mervyn Peake-another fantasy
    take on English society.
    I don't think Gormenghast was quite meant to be a take on English society, it's more of a fantasy creation (there's probably a bit of Imperial China where Mervyn Peake grew up in).

I remember being irritated by Gormenghast - it's just a bit too "out there" (I mean very odd and quirky) even though I thoroughly approved to BBC doing things just a bit unusual. Perhaps it just didn't quite hit the mark because in parts I thought it wasn't "out there" enough.

In this case, I wish Jonathan Strange had been more "out there". It feels too much like a standard costume drama with some fantasy elements. I'm actually annoyed by the Paul Kaye character Vinculus - it seems like he is imitating someone from one of the Pirates of the Carribean films.

Having said that, I look forward to the next episode, I think there is something very promising in it. No problem with the dialogue either, some people here might be getting old.
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very original for a tv drama, I liked it. Its the sort of thing only the BBC or HBO would attempt.

The female characters felt under cast though with unmemorable performances, though I'm all for new faces. The male characters seem well cast.

Its beautifully set in the studio scenes, that seemed to strain the HD encoder at times resulting in a fairly soft picture for the level of detail that was clearly there.

It has that "we must go slow to fill the hour pace" that effects some BBC dramas versus their US equivalents that just go to a break.

BIB. Offhand, I can't recall any females, apart from the zombie lady at the end. Oh, and was there a vicars sister or something? So yes. Highly unmemorable.

Enjoyed it, though. Atmospheric, unusual, intriguing. Nicely acted, and gorgeous to look at. May watch it again, though, with subtitles if they work on iplayer. Just to find out what that manic street prea .... conjurer was wittering about.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    No problem with the dialogue either, some people here might be getting old.

Yes, they might. But that doesn't mean they're either deaf or stupid. I could hear what was being said perfectly well, as could my partner whose hearing is sometimes less good than she'd like. So for us sound wasn't the issue, it was the sheer relentless boredom of nothing much happening.