Did you like Emmerdale Farm?

Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm watching it on Youtube and I like the interactions and dynamics.

I love the Sugdens already!

Comments

• Alison_McAllistAlison_McAllist Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I love Emmerdale Farm . Watched it from the very first episode and still a big fan of Emmerdale . Best soap ever.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Emmerdale Farm. I loved the cosiness of the Sugden farm kitchen, the animals, the church, the fell rescue team, Amos. Brierely and Mr. Wilkes in The Woolpack, the villagers.....It was dishonest to finish the series and replace it with a completely different programme, but steal the name to keep the audience.
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I loved Emmerdale Farm. I loved the cosiness of the Sugden farm kitchen, the animals, the church, the fell rescue team, Amos. Brierely and Mr. Wilkes in The Woolpack, the villagers.....It was dishonest to finish the series and replace it with a completely different programme, but steal the name to keep the audience.
    It's dishonest to pretend that's what happened.
  • Cheekymonkey09Cheekymonkey09 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my parents watching emmerdale farm when I was tiny and remember it being "cosy"' and "warm" but boring also.

I think had it stayed like that, it would have been axed, it needed to evolve.
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it evolved. You have to admit it was no Coronation Street. It had its good points but was ever so boring, the acting was poor and only started getting better when Turner arrived in 1982.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Emmerdale farm and have to say I miss those days what we have now is not Emmerdale I loved. Back then I wouldn't miss an episode and loved all the characters in some way or other, these days I spend more time wishing characters dead and happily miss it for a week or two when I go on holiday. It may look boring now but at the time it wasn't as we were not used to all the violence and sex etc in any of the soaps.
  • pollysue1939pollysue1939 Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chap who played Matt Skillbeck was a farmer in real life, so we actually got real sheep. It was a good program. I doubt it would last a season if it was intoduced now, not enough violence!
  • Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was nice to see Robert Sugden and Victoria Bartons (I hate her name now) relatives on it! It would have been nice to see Joe Sugden on the show still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree but even what they replaced it with at the time was more enjoyable than we have these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    It's dishonest to pretend that's what happened.

What did happen to Emmerdale Farm, anndra?
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Yes it was good
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is always been good. Years ago it was slower and more rural- it could do with going back to a bit more farm scenes here and there. I think at the moment the pacing is a little too fast but I have to say it was good then and its good now. I have flicked over and seen bits of eastenders and coronation st and they are depressing and badly acted. Emmerdale farm and Emmerdale as now are never depressing, and I'm still watching after all these years!
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried giving Emmerdale Farm a go, it just wasn't for me, I much prefer it now.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a teen I found it bland, I love the current show though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep the posts coming!
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my parents watching emmerdale farm when I was tiny and remember it being "cosy"' and "warm" but boring also.

I think had it stayed like that, it would have been axed, it needed to evolve.

This is exactly why ITV brought in Phil Redmond from Brookside, to devise a plan to reinvigorate the show. That plan being the airplane crash that happened in the 90s.

Characters on Brookside were seen mentioning it in a clever cross promotion by Redmond.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keibro wrote: »
    This is exactly why ITV brought in Phil Redmond from Brookside, to devise a plan to reinvigorate the show. That plan being the airplane crash that happened in the 90s.

Characters on Brookside were seen mentioning it in a clever cross promotion by Redmond.

Any Youtube links?
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    What did happen to Emmerdale Farm, anndra?

It modernised to bring in younger characters and expanded the scope of the series, and the output, to take in the broader community of the Dale itself. It didn't stop being Emmerdale.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch Emmerdale Farm, it was as Janet Plank said, warm and cosy, but maybe a bit bland, but the people in it would have conversations about the animals and everyday village life, Annie was either at the AGA cooking, dishing up or washing up. I remember Grandpa Sugden and young Joe having a conversation in the barn about crosswords, that's how exciting it was! But I really liked it, it was a breath of fresh air after all the Corrie nonsense we had even then.

Now, we never see an animal unless it's Edna's dog, you never see a cat let alone a cow and since Katie died you never have a glimpse of a horse. Unfortunately, Emmerdale is just EastEnders with grass and not as entertaining unless you are a teenager or a disaster fan, which the show seems to try to attract.

And who, in all honesty walks around a Dales village dressed as if they are off to clubbing in the hotspots of Hotten?
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it boring as a kid in the 80s but I watched some 70s eps on Youtube and enjoyed them, so maybe I would like it now.:D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it boring as a kid in the 80s but I watched some 70s eps on Youtube and enjoyed them, so maybe I would like it now.:D

I always thought of it as the grown up soap at the time it's dumbed down and sensationalised like the others now :(
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I always thought of it as the grown up soap at the time it's dumbed down and sensationalised like the others now :(

yes I'm not one for the headline grabbing stories and stunts. I liked the guys just having their wee stag do in the pub (before it all went downhill).
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I much prefer it now. I did watch Emmerdale Farm but these days it wouldn't last long as there wasn't much action back then. I remember a lot of warm and steamy kitchen scenes. Steamy as in cooking and pots of tea not sex! Nowadays it's a very different sort of steamy! I agree there should be more animals as it's set in the countryside but I suppose there's animal welfare to think about? Mind you I wouldn't mind if the Whites go horse riding sometimes. Poor Hamish seems to be the last pony for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I much prefer it now. I did watch Emmerdale Farm but these days it wouldn't last long as there wasn't much action back then. I remember a lot of warm and steamy kitchen scenes. Steamy as in cooking and pots of tea not sex! Nowadays it's a very different sort of steamy! I agree there should be more animals as it's set in the countryside but I suppose there's animal welfare to think about? Mind you I wouldn't mind if the Whites go horse riding sometimes. Poor Hamish seems to be the last pony for now.

R.I.P dear old Hamish, who died a couple of weeks ago, Pink_Smurf.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    [/B]
    R.I.P dear old Hamish, who died a couple of weeks ago, Pink_Smurf.

Yes, I didn't write that very well. I know he passed away :(