Options

Will Labour win the next General Election?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if we had a box for "None of the above" that would get most votes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Tricky one to predict.

As it was the other day, with the economy flat-lining, I'd have said Labour could have walked into government in 2015 without having to do anything.

Now we are in recovery it's very different.
    It depends if Cameron can get momentum going, the effects of UKIP, and if he can keep control of his backbenchers over the Europe issuue.

We are in recovery yes, but the only people seeing any of this are the rich, the rich are getting richer at the expense of the poor who just keep on struggling.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference between Cameron, clegg and milliband.
    All as delusional and bad as each other.

Their policies are alike in (lack of) dignity, too. It astounds me that people are so tribal about their devotion to a certain colour of rosette that they can't see that the choices are:

Right wing.
    Slightly more right wing.
    Slightly more right wing.

Don't believe their pantomine play-acting in the Commons - they all have the same paymasters in big business.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Two words Harriet Harman...

Pretty much makes them unelectable IMO.

I doubt the Conservatives have blunder-free MPs in their party.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour Party is a complete misnomer. There is no party out there representing millions of working people.
  • Options
    JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Labour have got no chance winning the next election if they keep Ed Miliband as leader. His brother, perhaps, might have stood a chance but not Ed. The country's still in a total mess, but I believe it's in a slightly better state than it was in 2010. I doubt it would be if Labour remained in power and I don't think it's right that they should get back into power so soon after creating the mess we were in a few years ago.

The next election campaign will be Ed Miliband going on about the "costht of living", Dave talking about how he's saved the country from the inevitable doom caused by the previous government, UKIP blaming immigrants and Europe for everything and Nick Clegg just being pointless.
  • Options
    SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK politics is like a merry go round, always red, blue, red, blue, red, blue so on... things never change.

If Labour wins the 2015 election then the Tories will get back in the future probably by 2025 after Labour has screwed things up as always.

A Tory election win: The public are sick of Labour spending away making the country broke so vote in Tories to clear up the crap as in 1979 and 2010.

A Labour election win: The public are sick of the Tories being heartless to the ordinary person and have had enough of austerity and cutbacks so vote in Labour to give the country its "mojo" back.

We shouldn't have turned down alternative voting. The Welsh & Scots are fortunate to have Plaid & SNP to put their interests first if Labour & Tories are not to their liking. The English are stuck with the useless shower that are Labour & Tories so it is understandable some are looking to UKIP as a protest vote, there is no credible alternative party for England to replace Labour & Tories.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    We are in recovery yes, but the only people seeing any of this are the rich, the rich are getting richer at the expense of the poor who just keep on struggling.

Oh Yes I quite agree, but that's not what many people will believe.
    They'll see reports of recovery and think the tories intend them to have a part of it.
    It won't of course; they'll still implement their draconian socially-divisive policies, ensuring the very rich (i.e. the people who bank-roll their party) remain so, and increaase their wealth.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Labour win (and they may) we will see huge borrowing and debt accumulation. This will lead to the next Tory government putting all women under the age of 30 on standby to service the debt by providing "services" to employees of the major creditors.

Basically Britain will become the brothel centre of the world.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    imagine ed milliband at the g7 giving speeches. id rather have the royals back ruling us than the labour lot...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Oh Yes I quite agree, but that's not what many people will believe.
    They'll see reports of recovery and think the tories intend them to have a part of it.
    It won't of course; they'll still implement their draconian socially-divisive policies, ensuring the very rich (i.e. the people who bank-roll their party) remain so, and increaase their wealth.

Exactly, what was the rubbish they put out a couple of weeks ago 9 out of 10 of us are better of than we were last year
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member

I find this viewpoint frustrating when politics is brought around to the interests of the poor and how government is supposedly failing them which should be the main concern of the population when considering who to vote for. It seems to send out a discouraging message to those 'rich' that have been fortunate or worked hard to make a living for themselves and thus they should feel guilty for the poors misfortunes. Sometimes these poor people don't do much to help themselves with perception that often surrounds their lifestyle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I find this viewpoint frustrating when politics is brought around to the interests of the poor and how government is supposedly failing them which should be the main concern of the population when considering who to vote for. It seems to send out a discouraging message to those 'rich' that have been fortunate or worked hard to make a living for themselves and thus they should feel guilty for the poors misfortunes. Sometimes these poor people don't do much to help themselves with perception that often surrounds their lifestyle.

So are you saying us poor folk don't work hard? A large part of how far a person gets in life is down to luck, hard work alone won't guarantee success.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Please God no, after the fiasco of their last administration.
    If you have a long enough memory, you wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole.

Agreed I can't think of anything worse
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want Labour back in as personally I was better off under Labour but Milliband is just a clueless wet lettuce and Ed Balls hasn't got a clue what he's doing and has absolutely no economic strategy. I fear if they get in again they'll just make the same old mistakes all over again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

The next election campaign will be Ed Miliband going on about the "costht of living", Dave talking about how he's saved the country from the inevitable doom caused by the previous government, UKIP blaming immigrants and Europe for everything and Nick Clegg just being pointless.

I don't think it's fair to condemn Miliband for having a lisp. It's not his fault. But I would blame him for affecting a young 'classless' speaking style to try and appeal to a certain demographic. Osborne does it too - mainly identified by the glottal stop. It is unnatural for an educated middle-aged person from the south of England to talk like this, they are affecting it to sound like 'men of the people'. It just proves what fakes they are. They're actually scared of sounding posh.

It wouldn't put me off a politician for sounding posh or sounding Geordie or sounding whatever accent, as long as it's their own. Because if they're even faking the way they speak, it makes you think 'what else are they faking?'
  • Options
    Rene-CRene-C Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    This government is weak and should be there for the taking, but Labour have no chance with Ed Milliband as leader.

I've always been a Labour supporter, but I'm not voting for that drip and the jokers he has in his shadow cabinet.

Voting for a party is a deep rooted thing. Your are either left wing or right wing regardless of who is the leader. I would not support an alternative party on the sole reason I do not like the leader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fleabee wrote: »
    Very few people have forgotten that Labour frigged up the financial state of the country. And as unpopular as the Tory policies are, they are getting things back slowly. Ed Milliband is a complete idiot, I can't see him being PM any time. Also he's made it clear he wont reverse any of the really unpopular things.

In short, the only thing we can be really sure about, is that the Lib Dems are dead ducks.

I would like to see your proof that Labour frigged up the finacial state of the country (in your words). The problem was global. Statistics show that Labour, at the time of the last election, were getting the country back on track.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no bloody way I am voting for Ed Milliband. I would have prefered to have elected Diane Abbott.

You are not voting just for Ed milliband you are voting for a political party.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Rene-C wrote: »
    Voting for a party is a deep rooted thing. Your are either left wing or right wing regardless of who is the leader. I would not support an alternative party on the sole reason I do not like the leader.

I don't think that's true anymore. I grew up in two of the most Labour cities you can imagine, my dad was union through and through, his works among the most extreme antagonists during the so-called 'winter of discontent', I should be 100% Labour...

I'm so disillusioned with Miliband and balls, though, that I would consider voting LibDem, even though I don't like the MP, because I'm quite scared of either main party getting a majority government. I want the main governing party to be hamstrung by a coalition partner to avoid them doing too much damage.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Labour hasn't been left wing since the early 90s. Despite Miliband's rumblings, his party remains a right wing, authoritarian party (though not as far to the right as the Conservatives). Both Blair and Brown were vocal and proud Thatcherites.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I am generally left wing, but I vote based on who I think is best for the country at the time.

The last Labour government had to go. Brown was incompetent, the country was a mess and I was opposed to ID cards and other abuses of our civil liberties being proposed under the guise of "anti-terrorism" etc.

The way this current government has attacked the poor and unemployed disgusts me, but I do not believe Ed Milliband and his shadow cabinet are up to the job of running the country. I might be a Labour supporter, but that doesn't mean I will vote for them regardless of policy or leadership.

I doubt I will vote at the next election at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    No chance Labour will win the next election.

Firstly, the economy is growing and secondly, Labour are still full of the useless morons who got us in to such a bad financial state in the first place. I think Labour know this and that's why they have Milliband as their leader - they know they won't win, so have placed an unelectable guy to front up their transition period.

So under Cameron's watch we have more people than ever having to resort to food banks. More people than ever freezing to death because they can't afford their heating bills. More people than ever who can't afford to pay their rents because of changes to housing benefit, and a government who have had more u turns than I've had had hot dinners
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I am generally left wing, but I vote based on who I think is best for the country at the time.

The last Labour government had to go. Brown was incompetent, the country was a mess and I was opposed to ID cards and other abuses of our civil liberties being proposed under the guise of "anti-terrorism" etc.

The way this current government has attacked the poor and unemployed disgusts me, but I do not believe Ed Milliband and his shadow cabinet are up to the job of running the country. I might be a Labour supporter, but that doesn't mean I will vote for them regardless of policy or leadership.

I doubt I will vote at the next election at all.

I feel the same and the bit in bold upset me the most, at least the con/libs haven't had us all bar coded yet, and I did fear that would happen with Labour at the time.

I also read in a paper that Labour will crack down worse on those out of a job, so what is the difference????
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    David Cameron will be a 10 year pm I reckon, lasting as long as Blair and Thatcher.

:D no chance, he us useless and hated......he is toast in 2015