2014/15 Premier League TV Fixtures Thread

Comments

• Ron NastyRon Nasty Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    agree with the above posts likely scenario IF sky were to let BT have week 1

if sky do take those 3 BT may feel they have to take Liverpool vs Soton (biggest available team and a couple of stories) . Good for sky as previously discussed to get a Liverpool game off BT's quota early for a free pick later on.

I think this is the more likely scenario and sky let BT pick 1st in week 3, when BT may feel they have to take Burnley vs Man Utd handing sky a nice trio of games
  • Jonny_Bentley1Jonny_Bentley1 Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope BT don't feel obliged (if that is the case), to snub an excellent game in prospect like Tottenham v Liverpool for the United game. It would be a shame.
    On the topic of the opening weekend, what would the picking order most possibly be?

1st Manchester United v Swansea
    2nd Newcastle v Manchester City
    3rd Burnley v Chelsea
    4th Liverpool v Southampton
    5th Arsenal v Crystal Palace
    6th West Ham v Tottenham
    7th Leicester v Everton

People must see my point though. In my opinion there is little to separate the type of encounter ranging from the probable first pick to my probable seventh pick (if there was one). If I were BT and had fourth pick, any one of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th choice would do to be honest and I would pick the one which helps ease the quotas on teams going into the remainder of the season.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burnley v Manchester United would not be such a terrible choice by any means in week 3.
  • Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about Man United v Aston Villa home and away with Roy Keane as Villa no 2 the home match at Villa Park on 20th/21st/22nd December with Keane wanting to beat United at Villa Park and the Keane return to Old Trafford on 4th/5th/6th April the latter potentially having a bearing in the title race the TV clincher for the 2 Man U/Villa matches being the Roy Keane factor could see a potential fight for SKY and BT over this pick
  • loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    On 20th dec, id expext sky to pass liverpool v arsenal (may push liverpool onto 4) and sky would get sunderland v newcastle and villa v man utd.

Just had a quick glance at fixtures. On manchester derby day, ncl v liverpool has to be sat game, obvious one for bt that day, but not sure quota would allow them to pick it
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »
    On 20th dec, id expext sky to pass liverpool v arsenal (may push liverpool onto 4) and sky would get sunderland v newcastle and villa v man utd.

I would disregard any announcment regarding Sunderland-Newcastle as whenever Sky pick it it invariably ends up being moved again!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have announced a FL Game with a 1.15 Kick off on Sunday 14 September, Guess tbat means a single super sunday
    Forum Member
    Burnley v Manchester United would not be such a terrible choice by any means in week 3.

Agree.

If your bt whats better: liv v sou, spurs v qpr and burnley v manu or arsenal v palace, villa v ncl and spurs v liv

All hypothetical but pick liv v spurs and its very difficult to pick either first two weeks.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BT are to pass up a 'top' pick reasonably early on would they not be more tempted to let Man City V Spurs go and take West Brom V Man Utd? Liverpool are a better rated team and Spurs V Liverpool looks a bit more even potentially than Man City V Spurs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree.

If your bt whats better: liv v sou, spurs v qpr and burnley v manu or arsenal v palace, villa v ncl and spurs v liv

All hypothetical but pick liv v spurs and its very difficult to pick either first two weeks.

Arsenal v Crystal Palace, Chelsea v Leicester, Tottenham v Liverpool
    This run would work fine provided Sky ditch the rather unattractive prospect of Man United v QPR in week four. Sky will want all the "best" United fixtures and will be forced to drop a number of their games due to quotas.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLG86 wrote: »
    I think the question Sky will have asked themselves is "what will BT do if we give them first pick?"

I've thought about this and I think BT would take Man Utd v Swansea. So the next question is would Sky be happy to not have LVG's first game? I know a lot of people think that it's not that big a deal, I can appreciate their point of view. But the reality is that Sky may consider it quite important that it's they who show it.

Also, were BT to show United in the first week, it removes their "need" to show them, so it would leave them free to take Spurs v Liverpool in week 3 (though Sky might prefer that for quota filling purposes).

More importantly, however, would Sky risk not showing the defending champions' first game? Although I don't BT would take Newcastle v Man City, I think Sky might not want to risk it losing that particular status symbol.

So my guess is that Sky will have first pick in week 1 and show Man Utd v Swansea, Burnley v Chelsea and Newcastle v Man City.

My prediction is that Sky will go for the Liverpool game over the Chelsea one - for the simple reason that I think BT would prefer the Liverpool game from a ratings perspective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My prediction is that Sky will go for the Liverpool game over the Chelsea one - for the simple reason that I think BT would prefer the Liverpool game from a ratings perspective.

I feel BT will punt for the Arsenal one. It's a small London derby, Arsenal have a large fan-base and therefore will provide a good audience. Liverpool should be used for more first picks later in the season and should be ignored on the opening weekend due to the tight quotas.
  • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree.

I would take Spurs v Liverpool in a heartbeat. The whole point of them having these 'first picks' is to take games away from Sky and make themselves the talking point of certain weekends. Burnley v Man United is not a 'talking point' game. It may get good ratings, it may allow them to say 'we've got United on in August' but it's not that big of a deal in the long run.

It's a game that at another stage of the season would be no higher than 2nd or 3rd (or maybe even a 5th) pick for Sky, and at no stage other than a title run in would Sky take it as a 1st pick, so neither should BT. If all BT are concerned about is taking United games of limited appeal just to show United then they should just opt for 2nd picks in the next contract deals and leave 1st picks alone.

Spurs v Liverpool is precisely the kind of 1st pick that BT can get. Two big clubs, early in the season, a big game. Not a Chelsea v City or Liverpool v United kind of game, but BT won't get them. They'll get 2nd rate big games like Liverpool v Arsenal and Spurs v Liverpool. To turn them down and go with average United games would make no sense to me at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gray77 wrote: »
    I would take Spurs v Liverpool in a heartbeat. The whole point of them having these 'first picks' is to take games away from Sky and make themselves the talking point of certain weekends. Burnley v Man United is not a 'talking point' game. It may get good ratings, it may allow them to say 'we've got United on in August' but it's not that big of a deal in the long run.

It's a game that at another stage of the season would be no higher than 2nd or 3rd (or maybe even a 5th) pick for Sky, and at no stage other than a title run in would Sky take it as a 1st pick, so neither should BT. If all BT are concerned about is taking United games of limited appeal just to show United then they should just opt for 2nd picks in the next contract deals and leave 1st picks alone.

Spurs v Liverpool is precisely the kind of 1st pick that BT can get. Two big clubs, early in the season, a big game. Not a Chelsea v City or Liverpool v United kind of game, but BT won't get them. They'll get 2nd rate big games like Liverpool v Arsenal and Spurs v Liverpool. To turn them down and go with average United games would make no sense to me at all.

I agree. The whole point of them gaining "first picks" if for them to gain stand out matches. I feel games like Burnley v Man United (and I'm a Burnley fan), could have been acquired by ESPN and Setanta before them as it is not a game from the top bracket. It's games like Spurs v Liverpool, Liverpool v Everton and perhaps Arsenal v Liverpool which separate out BT from their predecessors.
  • Ron NastyRon Nasty Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    fair points there

i feel they might be better off with 2nd and 3rd picks next times (if the packages are the same). though obviously not good from a basic marketing perspective it would probably lead to at least the same quality of games if not better to go along with the better timeslots
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burnley beat Man U at home last time they were in Prem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron Nasty wrote: »
    fair points there

i feel they might be better off with 2nd and 3rd picks next times (if the packages are the same). though obviously not good from a basic marketing perspective it would probably lead to at least the same quality of games if not better to go along with the better timeslots

I think I'd still move for their current package. Why? It's much chepar than the 16.00 first picks on Sunday and it still provides BT with some excellent matches. I would go for the "best" second picks package next though (the one which gives you the right to choose your second picks) as it could help ease quota troubles.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree BT should take what they can when they can. And by not using up too many Man Utd picks early on they'll at least be able to hold them back for later in the season. They'll surely get the chance to pick at least one Man Utd game in the initial list that are released so I think they should take that, and if they get the chance for Spurs V Liverpool and Arsenal V Man City go for them. Otherwise they just seem to be playing into Sky's hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have announced a FL Game with a 1.15 Kick off on Sunday 14 September, Guess tbat means a single super sunday

Well in this week the main 4 would be:
    1st Arsenal v Man City
    2nd Sunderland v Tottenham
    3rd Liverpool v Aston Villa
    4th Man United v QPR

I would have assumed Sky used a first pick on this week to get Liverpool on SNF, and a Super Sunday with Sunderland v Tottenham a good fixture to tee up the big one in Arsenal v Man City. Could this mean BT have Arsenal v Man City or would that be reading too much into things?
    Forum Member
    It is so difficult.

Pick Spurs V Liverpool and if Sky pick their cards right, you are virtually forced into Arsenal V Palace.

Arsenal V Palace is a very weak start (I appreciate this was a Sky 4pm game last year)

Newcastle V Liverpool would probably have to go too (if BT take 2 Merseyside derbies and Liverpool V Arsenal), or else quotad out on Liverpool in Feb means Sky passing Liverpool V Man Utd week.

Of couurse BT could opt for Spurs V Arsenal in Feb time, but that would mean Arsenal on at least 4 (Opening day, Liverpool A, one other)

Some very unattractive weeks with no Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs if Sky take attractive Man Utd, Man City and Cheslea games.

Very unrelaible evidence, but a mate of mine is a Man City fan who knows someone in the ticket office (this sounds like a true Internet rumour, and likely to be rubbish) but he thinks Liverpool H is 8pm on Mon, Chelsea is 4pm on the Sun, Spurs is 12.45 on Sat and Man Utd is 13.30 on Sun (but proviso that it is moved to Sat if CL draw puts Man City on Tue).
    Forum Member
    1st Arsenal v Man City
    4th Man United v QPR

I would have assumed Sky used a first pick on this week to get Liverpool on SNF, and a Super Sunday with Sunderland v Tottenham a good fixture to tee up the big one in Arsenal v Man City. Could this mean BT have Arsenal v Man City or would that be reading too much into things?

Unless PL allows matches to switch alot between time slots at short notice (not allowed in previous years too much) then Arsenal V Man City has to be on the Sat, as well as Liverpool V Villa. I would expect Sunderland V Spurs at 4pm or a MNF with a quota filler at 4pm/ 8pm (other slot)

If Sky use a first pick, then I think they show Arsenal at 5.30pm (BT will prob pass Liverpool, pick Man Utd- and then may go for Spurs V Liverpol R3)

Sky could pass, and take Spurs V Liverpool as a first instead, options, options.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is so difficult.

Pick Spurs V Liverpool and if Sky pick their cards right, you are virtually forced into Arsenal V Palace.

Arsenal V Palace is a very weak start (I appreciate this was a Sky 4pm game last year)

Newcastle V Liverpool would probably have to go too (if BT take 2 Merseyside derbies and Liverpool V Arsenal), or else quotad out on Liverpool in Feb means Sky passing Liverpool V Man Utd week.

Of couurse BT could opt for Spurs V Arsenal in Feb time, but that would mean Arsenal on at least 4 (Opening day, Liverpool A, one other)

Some very unattractive weeks with no Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs if Sky take attractive Man Utd, Man City and Cheslea games.

Very unrelaible evidence, but a mate of mine is a Man City fan who knows someone in the ticket office (this sounds like a true Internet rumour, and likely to be rubbish) but he thinks Liverpool H is 8pm on Mon, Chelsea is 4pm on the Sun, Spurs is 12.45 on Sat and Man Utd is 13.30 on Sun (but proviso that it is moved to Sat if CL draw puts Man City on Tue).

Sounds possible. But, I'm not sure BT would shun Arsenal on the opening weekend for Spurs, even if their game was more attractive. Given also that Spurs could be available for a number of top picks also, I don't see why they would use them early on in a fourth pick.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st Arsenal v Man City
    4th Man United v QPR

As far as I can remember, that weekend has always had a single match on Super Sunday and, of course, as the weekend before the first Champions League group games, none of the big teams can play on the Sunday, so that week has always seen a rather smaller match on Sunday 4pm - last season it was Southampton vs West Ham, season before it was Reading vs Spurs. I can well imagine Sky taking the opportunity to show a newly promoted team in that slot again this season. Maybe Sunderland vs Spurs at a push.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope BT don't feel obliged (if that is the case), to snub an excellent game in prospect like Tottenham v Liverpool for the United game. It would be a shame.
    On the topic of the opening weekend, what would the picking order most possibly be?

1st Manchester United v Swansea
    2nd Newcastle v Manchester City
    3rd Burnley v Chelsea
    4th Liverpool v Southampton
    5th Arsenal v Crystal Palace
    6th West Ham v Tottenham
    7th Leicester v Everton

People must see my point though. In my opinion there is little to separate the type of encounter ranging from the probable first pick to my probable seventh pick (if there was one). If I were BT and had fourth pick, any one of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th choice would do to be honest and I would pick the one which helps ease the quotas on teams going into the remainder of the season.

I might be biased but Leicester v Everton would be an attractive game to show for either Sky or BT, Championship winners v 5th place, two entertaining teams who play open football and the unknown of a newly-promoted side against a team trying to better a brilliant season. I'd say, in footballing terms, it would be more attractive than both Arsenal and West Ham's matches, even Man Utd v Swansea but Van Gaal's first match will be shown, no doubt.
  • BrettBrett Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I would disregard any announcment regarding Sunderland-Newcastle as whenever Sky pick it it invariably ends up being moved again!

Sunderland and newcastle can now be any tv time picked
    http://www.safc.com/news/club-news/2014/january/joint-statement-issued

Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC are surprised and disappointed with the statement issued yesterday by Northumbria Police in which the force claims that the police cannot direct changes to kick-off times for the clubs' fixtures, referring in particular to the derby games.
    Over a number of years both clubs have made repeated representations to Northumbria Police to try and reach agreement over kick-off times to enable a traditional 3pm kick-off or later to enable broadcasters to give the game consideration in the majority of their time slots for live coverage.

For Northumbria Police therefore to issue a statement stating that they do not direct changes to kick-off times is quite frankly false and absurd - and conflicts with the respectful and responsible manner in which both Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC have engaged with the police over many years with regard to the derby fixture.
    In light of Northumbria Police's latest statement, Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC will now inform the Premier League that all future fixtures between the two clubs will be available for kick-off times to suit the clubs, the League and their broadcast partners, if applicable, and will expect Northumbria Police to police these games, especially given the considerable costs both clubs incur for such special police services.