Options

The Saturdays - What are you waiting for...Flop?

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    You know things are bad when concert tickets are half price on Groupon.

Oh dear...
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know things are bad when concert tickets are half price on Groupon.

I read about this the other day. And this is not even an arena tour we're talking about here but a theatre tour.
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can never put my finger on why the Saturdays are not reaching higher levels. I really did think the Greatest Hits would perform much stronger, they are clearly a singles band and on that basis i did believe it would turn into good sales for the greatest hits album, but like previous albums it is dropping like a stone and low sales to go with it.

Girls Aloud and The Saturdays are not on the same playing field, the Girls Aloud original greatest hits album has sold more than all the Saturdays albums put together so i dont even compare the success of each.

The Saturdays are so lucky to be with the label they are with as with most other labels they would have dropped them long before now. It is hard to call what direction they should go with next, or should they just call it a day?
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if they get the chance to release another studio album then they need a complete change in image, sound and style.
    Stop dressing like secretaries and start dressing like a girlband, I want sexy, synchronised outfits, I want fierce new haircuts and most importantly I want them to learn to dance in sync and I want a new sound that'll set them apart from their peers. If that doesn't work then fair enough, they will have tried everything they can and six studio albums, an EP and a GH is a great run especially for a girlband. I'll certainly be listening to them for years to come just like other great groups before them like GA and Sugababes 2.0/3.0.
  • Options
    mooneusmooneus Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sadly think this is going to be the end of The Saturdays - most people know that live shows are where all the money is these days in the music industry and the girls are struggling to sell out venues with 10,000 capacities. Even when Girls Aloud returned after being away for 3/4 years, they were able to reach 80% sales on venues with 20,000 capacities. It looks as though people are interested enough to buy 1 or 2 of their songs but won't buy a concert ticket.

One issue I think is that their inconsistent. Whenever you seem them performing on TV they are either great or very pitchy.

Apart from Chasing Lights all of their albums haven't been very good. For me personally I won't go to a concert if I don't like the album. Have any of their albums gone platinum bar Chasing Lights?

One thing that I think benefited Girls Aloud is that all their albums were good pop albums and you could tell their songwriting team worked really hard and only gave them the best songs. In contrast all of Girls Aloud's albums went platinum, which shows they were a stronger brand with a more loyal fan base.

Another issue for The Saturdays is they don't know who they are or who they appeal to. Sure they've had some good songs and some bad ones, but there's nothing unique about them. They aren't best singers, the best dancers or the best looking girls in the world - it's all a bit middle of the road.

Having said all that, they've had a good run 4 and a half albums is quite a good achievement for a girl band. But, sadly I don't think they'll leave a stamp on the music industry like the Spice Girls or Girls Aloud did.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've managed to last for years on 1 hit album and about 3 hit singles. Christ knows how theyve done it.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    I think they need a complete reinvention to be honest, they've been around since 2009 and haven't really gone anywhere musically and have seen their commercial success plummet to almost embarrassing levels.

With Girls Aloud, their level of success and the standard of their albums rose with each release, with Sugababes they had a distinct sound/theme that ran through their albums but each sounded different.

Good luck to them as I think they are talented but something needs to happen. They can't just keep putting out failing album after failing album
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the end of The Sats - single, album and tour not selling well. This is a GH campaign it should be flying off the shelves.

I honestly think they should have released this two months later than now. They would have mixed in the XMas market and a GH like this would have done very well. They should have just performed on Strictly or something like they did on Tumble.

Expect a Wanted like announcement coming soon. To be fair they've had a good career and have been lucky to have it this long considering some of the albums havent done too well. To be honest, its very hard to be a pop especially girl band right now. Only Little Mix right now. They won't last as long as Girls Aloud.

Girls Aloud were in a different league, the best they were. People connected with the personalities and invidiauals, they had a little help with the tv show but to be fair they did it themselves. the PSTR tour got cancelled, but their later tours sold out - and that was because they impressed people. The Saturdays albums are very good too, i've heard them all and they all are really good. Not GA quality (What is???) but The Sats can move on from this with their heads held high. Frankie doing Strictly. Rochelle selling the Humes brand. Una doing a songwriting EP or writing for others. Vanessa and Mollie fading in obscurity. Thats their future sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh i have some sales

Chasing Lights - 386k

Living For The Weekend - 26,000

Wow. If they were boys. They'd be selling 800,000. Lets be honest.
    Sad but true. See 1D and Richard and Adam.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't split up. Judging by comments they made in an interview last week, they are soon to begin work on another album. They obviously have a good label around them. I think things went wrong for them during the first album. It was a great debut album and If This Is Love, Issues and Up were all fantastic singles. They had a good sound. It was their own sound and they really looked like they were going somewhere. They should then have released Work (which fans loved) and ended that album and moved onto album two (with a progression of their sound). Instead though, they went and recorded a cover of Just Can't Get Enough which was horrific and then went back and rush filmed/released Work. All went down hill after that and instead of releasing music in a similar vein to their first three singles, they went too pop and too dancey. There was nothing different or unique left about then then, and nothing that set them apart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh i have some sales

Chasing Lights - 386k

Living For The Weekend - 26,000

Wow. If they were boys. They'd be selling 800,000. Lets be honest.
    Sad but true. See 1D and Richard and Adam.

Their sales post Chasing Lights are truly shocking and I can't believe Fascination haven't dropped them yet.

Even looking at Sugababes, they got dropped after two flop albums and they had three really successful albums in Angels With Dirty Faces, Three and Taller and they even had Change which sold around 500k in their favour.

Sats have had one hit album and the rest have been flops yet they manage to cling on to a record deal.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to get 'Walking Through The Desert' out as a single pronto,and promote the hell out of it on tv,Far superior song to the DREADFUL 'What youzzzzzzzz'.
    'Desert' is much more radio friendly.There is actually a tune you can hum...
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite this whole mess going on surrounding the poor performance of the Hits album and the single, I'm still really looking forward to the wembley show on the 19th!! This is possibly the last time so will make the most of it ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »
    Despite this whole mess going on surrounding the poor performance of the Hits album and the single, I'm still really looking forward to the wembley show on the 19th!! This is possibly the last time so will make the most of it ;)

Enjoy the show.

I saw them locally a couple of years ago at Rochester castle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labels have it answer to shareholders. I am certain there won't be another album. If this had done well it would have been possible. Living for the weekend has sold virtually nothing, even with that huge flop they were kept on because there was a chance that hits album might have done well. I said it with the wanted too, there is no denying it. I expect a split announcement soon. It's a shame because I think their singles collection I'd awesome and I own all their albums so i don't have it in for them. It's just really hard to break a girl band. Maybe they should re release it with a killer single on two months I has worked for them before. I think they have all agreed to end It on a hits album hence members focusing on individual avenues they can take on beyond this. But they got to release five albums and hits album, that it Is to be proud of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Labels have it answer to shareholders. I am certain there won't be another album. If this had done well it would have been possible. Living for the weekend has sold virtually nothing, even with that huge flop they were kept on because there was a chance that hits album might have done well. I said it with the wanted too, there is no denying it. I expect a split announcement soon. It's a shame because I think their singles collection I'd awesome and I own all their albums so i don't have it in for them. It's just really hard to break a girl band. Maybe they should re release it with a killer single on two months I has worked for them before. I think they have all agreed to end It on a hits album hence members focusing on individual avenues they can take on beyond this. But they got to release five albums and hits album, that it Is to be proud of.

I think that this is the case too. I'll be surprised if there is another album.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mooneus wrote: »
    I sadly think this is going to be the end of The Saturdays - most people know that live shows are where all the money is these days in the music industry and the girls are struggling to sell out venues with 10,000 capacities. Even when Girls Aloud returned after being away for 3/4 years, they were able to reach 80% sales on venues with 20,000 capacities. It looks as though people are interested enough to buy 1 or 2 of their songs but won't buy a concert ticket.

One issue I think is that their inconsistent. Whenever you seem them performing on TV they are either great or very pitchy.

Apart from Chasing Lights all of their albums haven't been very good. For me personally I won't go to a concert if I don't like the album. Have any of their albums gone platinum bar Chasing Lights?

One thing that I think benefited Girls Aloud is that all their albums were good pop albums and you could tell their songwriting team worked really hard and only gave them the best songs. In contrast all of Girls Aloud's albums went platinum, which shows they were a stronger brand with a more loyal fan base.

Another issue for The Saturdays is they don't know who they are or who they appeal to. Sure they've had some good songs and some bad ones, but there's nothing unique about them. They aren't best singers, the best dancers or the best looking girls in the world - it's all a bit middle of the road.

Having said all that, they've had a good run 4 and a half albums is quite a good achievement for a girl band. But, sadly I don't think they'll leave a stamp on the music industry like the Spice Girls or Girls Aloud did.

Girls Aloud really have left no stamp on the music industry. They would be as forgotten as Atomic Kitten if not for Cheryl Cole.

Musically they released some stellar Xenomania material but they really have no legacy like the Spice Girls have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I agree about GA, I like them a lot but no one would remember them if it weren't for Cheryl.
    I am also looking forward to the Wembley show on the 19th, it may be my last chance to see one of my favourite groups live, whether the arena is half full or jam packed it won't ruin my enjoyment of the show.
    From what I've heard though they've sold a ton of tickets since the groupon thing went live, not to mention in their mailer last week they said there were just a few tickets left, I realise "few" might mean 5000, but still I doubt they would intentionally embarrass themselves by lying.
  • Options
    mooneusmooneus Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Girls Aloud and the Spice Girls are not in the same league, but if you were to look at British girls groups post 2000, you'd be thinking of the Sugababes and Girls Aloud. I think Girls Aloud were the first pop group to receive universal critical acclaim and made it cool to like pop music again at a time when the industry was very rock focused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^Sugababes' first album received massive critical acclaim when it was released in 2000. Sadly it pretty much flopped but still, massive positive acclaim.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They won't split up. Judging by comments they made in an interview last week, they are soon to begin work on another album. They obviously have a good label around them. I think things went wrong for them during the first album. It was a great debut album and If This Is Love, Issues and Up were all fantastic singles. They had a good sound. It was their own sound and they really looked like they were going somewhere. They should then have released Work (which fans loved) and ended that album and moved onto album two (with a progression of their sound). Instead though, they went and recorded a cover of Just Can't Get Enough which was horrific and then went back and rush filmed/released Work. All went down hill after that and instead of releasing music in a similar vein to their first three singles, they went too pop and too dancey. There was nothing different or unique left about then then, and nothing that set them apart.

Exactly. The whole Wordshaker era was also a complete disaster. They chose the wrong lead singles and everything. Forever Is Over is not a "Saturdays" song. It was originally written for Kelly Clarkson and it would have suited her better as it's more her style. They had it so right with Chasing Lights, what went wrong? :( I like If This Is Love but Work should have been their debut. They released it too late and then it flopped because the fans already had the album with the song on it and it was also overshadowed by MJ's death and several of his songs being in the charts. If I was their manager the Comic Relief single would never have happened. Then the US campaign was a mess. It was more about a reality show than the music. They should have gone to the US in 2009/2010 when they were at their best. I've been a fan and supporter since I first heard ITIL in Summer 2008 and I even went to their first tour but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the end :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    ^^^^Sugababes' first album received massive critical acclaim when it was released in 2000. Sadly it pretty much flopped but still, massive positive acclaim.

I think as a whole Sugababes were a much more critically successful group than Girls Aloud anyway. Girls Aloud had tracks like Biology and Call The Shots that were really well received, and their later albums too, but I always thought Sugababes topped them in that respect
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't get over the Groupon thing. It is so embarrassing. Sure it will fill the theatres but everyone involved will still probably only break even or take a loss. I think if they announce a "break" aka a split, it will be on the last night of the tour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they will announce it on tour, it would kind of put a damper on things.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ally_Bowie wrote: »

At least there won't be many others there, so you'll get a good view.