Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do i put an image in a post, there is no button to do this when i reply :(

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't, Digital Spy is the largest media based forum in the UK but bizarrely it doesn't allow media to be embedded.

Weird, eh?
  • Options
    DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can insert images into posts on DS.
  • Options
    Philip_ClarkePhilip_Clarke Posts: 1,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How 1990s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How 1990s

I know. Just you wait until the Luddites rock up and see your thread though, all hell usually breaks loose when images, videos or avatars are mentioned. I shit you not, but there are people on here who think that the addition of a tiny static 100px x 75px *.jpg will bring the internet to it's knees. :D
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Post link to separately hosted image in post
    2) Download Chrome extension for Digital Spy
    3) Pictures show up embedded in post... for those who have the extension.
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (_\ヽ
      \\ .Λ_Λ.
       \( ˇωˇ) There's always this :kitty:
        > ⌒ヽ
       /   へ\
       /  / \\
       レ ノ   ヽ_つ
      / /
      / /|
     ( (ヽ
     | |、\
     | 丿 \ ⌒)
     | |  ) /
    `ノ )   Lノ
    (_/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: dammit
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I know. Just you wait until the Luddites rock up and see your thread though, all hell usually breaks loose when images, videos or avatars are mentioned. I shit you not, but there are people on here who think that the addition of a tiny static 100px x 75px *.jpg will bring the internet to it's knees. :D

Some of us don't get a hard on for fancy clutter and would rather read the relevant posts.
    You can't, Digital Spy is the largest media based forum in the UK but bizarrely it doesn't allow media to be embedded.

Weird, eh?

Not weird. A good idea. I like clutter free forums.

No avatars, signatures, images and the like.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do i put an image in a post, there is no button to do this when i reply :(
    You'd be better off asking the photographers who do post their images on this thread in General Discussion
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957034&page=28
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Not weird. A good idea. I like clutter free forums.

No avatars, signatures, images and the like.

You spoke my words.

I swear I'll go postal if I see another angel/puppy/kitten/anime/teddy-bear signature before I die.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst not directly answering the OPs question, someone did write a Chrome Add-On for DS, that meant that any images linked to in a post automatically showed up when reading threads. Buggered if I remember where to find it, though.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd be better off asking the photographers who do post their images on this thread in General Discussion
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957034&page=28

They haven't. They've posted links TO their images.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Weird, eh?

It's probably to save on bandwidth. Text will likely only use tiny amounts of bandwidth compared to images.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    You spoke my words.

I swear I'll go postal if I see another angel/puppy/kitten/anime/teddy-bear signature before I die.

Yep. If I want Hallmark bollocks I can head to the dafter corners of Facebook.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine the amount of goatse we'd get? It's really easy to seed a board with innocent images and then change the image at source. Allegedly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's probably to save on bandwidth. Text will likely only use tiny amounts of bandwidth compared to images.

Bandwidth has nothing to do with it, there are a myriad sites like Imgur, Photobucket, TinyPic etc. etc. that host images for free and provide the relevant links. It's more to do with the site stagnating and not moving with the times than anything else.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Weird, eh?

Good, this place would become an unreadable nightmare if it allowed pics and gifs. 'Likes' are annoying too.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bandwidth has nothing to do with it, there are a myriad sites like Imgur, Photobucket, TinyPic etc. etc. that host images for free and provide the relevant links. It's more to do with the site stagnating and not moving with the times than anything else.
    Can't you just post a link to one of those sites if you need one though? My guess is that's it's more to do with the amount of work necessary in transferring millions of posts to a completely new forum system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Can't you just post a link to one of those sites if you need one though? My guess is that's it's more to do with the amount of work necessary in transferring millions of posts to a completely new forum system.

New forum system? You just check a few check boxes in the vBulletin user panel and give the users the option of having images displayed or not. Hell, the option is already there now in your UserCP.

uET7995.png
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Can you imagine the amount of goatse we'd get? It's really easy to seed a board with innocent images and then change the image at source. Allegedly.

Why? Why did you have to say the name? I'd worked so hard to erase a certain image from my mind. Took years, too. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The owners of these forums could very well think that if posting images is allowed, some will start abusing this feature. The Channel 4 forums started allowing its forum members back in 2004 to post images and some of them started abusing the feature by posting them in nearly every post. The moderators then took the feature away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets see if it works...

hammer.jpg
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    The owners of these forums could very well think that if posting images is allowed, some will start abusing this feature. The Channel 4 forums started allowing its forum members back in 2004 to post images and some of them started abusing the feature by posting them in nearly every post. The moderators then took the feature away.

Yes, this. So many people are seriously stupid about posting images.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New forum system? You just check a few check boxes in the vBulletin user panel and give the users the option of having images displayed or not. Hell, the option is already there now in your UserCP.

uET7995.png

It obviously doesn't work then.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Allowing images takes too much modding. It would be a minefield.

Besides which, I like places that are free of people's ideas of great images.