Options

Were Rough Copy too leftfield/urban/edgy/street to be in the final

Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
Forum Member
We all know the Xfactor is a family show manily watched by kids (especially tennage girls) mums, grannies.

I suspect the reason Rough Copy recieved the least votes on Sunday is becuase they didn't fit the ''nicey, nicey'' due to they're criminal pasts and edgy/urban style/attitude.

If you look at past finalists and the current finalists, they all fit the ''lovely / nicey, nicey'' mould that appeal to kids, mums, grannies etc,etc.

Does anyone agree that their street style and criminal pasts lost them a place in the final!!:confused:

Comments

• Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest it was their inability to sing in tune.
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »
    We all know the Xfactor is a family show manily watched by kids (especially tennage girls) mums, grannies.

I suspect the reason Rough Copy recieved the least votes on Sunday is becuase they didn't fit the ''nicey, nicey'' due to they're criminal pasts and edgy/urban style/attitude.

If you look at past finalists and the current finalists, they're all fit the lovely / nicey, nicey' mould that appeal kids, mums, grannies etc,etc.

Does anyone agree that their street style and criminal pasts lost them a place in the final!!:confused:

Most of this I do agree.
    Personally they are decent singers individually but as a group it doesn't seemed to blend for some reason. But if they release material, I might buy it...they remind me a lot of the 90s R+B male groups which I was much more accustomed to...even B2K weren't the best vocally and nor was JLS for that matter
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They were too shit.
  • Options
    Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vocals let them down.
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Union J were completely vanilla as anything, but missed the final too. So I don't think that's the reason.

A combination of peaking too soon and terrible song choices imo.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to break it to you, but three blokes singing boyz 2 men isnt street urban or edgy.

Its as middle of the road as you can get.

They went out because they are a group who have been together for about five years and yet still cannot sing a single note in harmony if their lives depended on it.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to you, but three blokes singing boyz 2 men isnt street urban or edgy.

They went out because they are a group who have been together for about five years and yet still cannot sing a single note in harmony if their lives depended on it.

Word. I came on here to post this and you've articulated it perfectly.

When I saw the title and thought of them murdering that (admittedly already awful) Boyz2Men ballid the last thing I would have described them as "edgy". More like "shit".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the opposite actually. They weren't urban or edgy enough in my opinion, they sang very safe and boring songs (and not very well). They just seem dated to me, it's a shame as I think with their energy they could really have pulled off some more upbeat modern songs and perhaps I'd have enjoyed them a bit more.
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Just speaking personally, I never felt like they had enough of a commercial look to them. Also some terribad song choices and poor harmonization didn't help either. Was kind of sad to see them go though, and I'm not sure why as I was never really a big fan. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! Just no good!
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I thought this week was Rough copys best week, they got the singing element just right for me, certainly better than Luke, not difficult really, and better than Nicholas this week. I think they went as it was their time. You only really ever have x number of people voting for you.
  • Options
    E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member

Have to agree.....thought this as they were singing away in the sing off last night. ....shame as I think that it would have been nice to see them in the final
    .....but they need to do more work 1st
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, its just because the GBP prefer bland and boring white acts.
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They were too shit.
    This is the most accurate assessment. They were just the worst of a very shit bunch.
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not "urban" at all. They're about as urban as a pair of slippers.

"Urban" is the show's polite way of saying they're black.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the opposite actually. They weren't urban or edgy enough in my opinion, they sang very safe and boring songs (and not very well). They just seem dated to me, it's a shame as I think with their energy they could really have pulled off some more upbeat modern songs and perhaps I'd have enjoyed them a bit more.

Absolutely, they weren't edgy enough. The show needed something really alternative but it wasn't Rough Copy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    No. Because most people in Britain are boring, grumpy, moody old farts who listen to terrible music. (waits for people to argue with me for saying that :p)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are an R&B band who allowed themselves to be watered down to get exposure on a tv talent show.
    Having heard material they've done prior to the show, it is a million miles from most of the dross they were asked to churn out for prime time tv.
    I think it ended up not quite working as their image and style didn't fit with the songs they were performing. The few times they did do up tempo or showed glimpses of who they really are were their best weeks by far.

Hopefully, they'll get something out of this on a label who gets them more than the XF did
  • Options
    Dean_AdamsDean_Adams Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had some horrible song choices.

But when they had the right song, they were awesome.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They were too shit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This in a word ,they should've gone weeks ago
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean_Adams wrote: »
    They had some horrible song choices.

But when they had the right song, they were awesome.

When was that? 1993?
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with the posters who've said they, emphatically, were not edgy or "urban", whatever that last term actually means, and with Fatso as their mentor, they stood no chance of maintaining their "street" credentials. However, I thought they were pretty good; if you like that sort of thing.
  • Options
    katinthehatkatinthehat Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely.....................awful! They couldn't sing and I think it was a damn shame that we lost the likes of Tamera for this lot who did very well to get by judges house stage.
  • Options
    GetridofcoleGetridofcole Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No , got progressively worse , not bad singing each on their own but piss poor harmonies . I was expecting a lot more and a lot better from them but left disappointed . Like I said in another thread last night , you tube jls when they were on the show and it highlights how bad rough copy are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I read the OP's comment that was the first thing that sprang to my mind as well.