My Dad Has Been Going Thru My Stuff

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I moved out of the family home in May 2012 but i still have a bedroom there and half my stuff is still there. I still come and stay a couple of nights a week.

Sometimes i notice things have gone missing or been moved around so i have had suspicians for a while but today i found out for sure that when i am not here my dad comes into the room and pokes around in my stuff.

I find this totally unacceptable and an invasion of my privacy, he would go crazy if it was me going thru his stuff. I feel very angry today, i am sat here feeling really wound up, who does he think he is?

I want to say something to him but the man is an idiot, never seems to even attempt to understand anyones feelings or point of view but his own.

Perhaps its time to move everything out and cut all ties? I can't accept anyone going thru my stuff ever.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Perhaps its time to move everything out and cut all ties? I can't accept anyone going thru my stuff ever.

Yep, it probably is. It's your Dad's house, after all.

If you don't want him going through your stuff, put a lock on the door and pay him rent. That was what was proposed to me when I got annoyed at my folks going through my room when I no longer lived there. Certainly made me get off my backside and sort out my old stuff!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Yep, it probably is. It's your Dad's house, after all.

If you don't want him going through your stuff, put a lock on the door and pay him rent. That was what was proposed to me when I got annoyed at my folks going through my room when I no longer lived there. Certainly made me get off my backside and sort out my old stuff!

I don't think that gives him a right to go thru my stuff.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Hmm, It's his house he has every right to go into any of his rooms, even more so since you've apparently left home. What things are missing, can't be that important to you or you would of taken them with you.

Your old room is now basically a spare room, so perhaps they want to use it as such.

What happens when you marry, are you going to stop your partner from going through your things too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What things are missing, can't be that important to you or you would of taken them with you.

They are important. I didn't get around to taking everything, i have a lot of stuff. I don't see why its acceptable for anyone to go thru someones personal belongings without them knowing, regardless of whose house it is.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    It does - it's in his house. If you left a bag at a station or in someone else's house, would you expect people not to go through it ? What 'stuff' is he going through (not thru) by the way ? If he was stealing stuff, confront him ?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think again.
    Forum Member
    Well 2 things time to move out completely and second don't be so defensive, what things are we talking about CD's books, computer games, clothes.

At the end of the day you must accept your in effect costing him money by using a room he could use for other purposes, why do you feel the need to return home for a couple of nights a week, to get your washing done? or take a shower?
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing id ask is do you have anything to hide ?

if not and its just old CD's and stuff whats the deal

if you do have anything you don't want your parents to see make sure its removed ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    through (not thru) by the way ?

Yes thank you spelling police chief inspector!

Thru is commonly used as a short way to say through. I even saw it at the end of a tom and jerry cartoon once!
    Forum Member
    ^^ Are you on a wind up!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Are you on a wind up!!

Not really. The person wants to nitpick and be pedantic over how you spell through. Its a well known fact that it can be shortened to thru, a bit like when people type OMG instead of oh my god or lol instead of laugh out loud.

These forums are pathetic
    Forum Member
    ^^ Hmm says the 27 year old guy, getting in a twizz because his dad is going in his old room that he no longer occupies!!
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I moved out of the family home in May 2012 but i still have a bedroom there and half my stuff is still there. I still come and stay a couple of nights a week.

Sometimes i notice things have gone missing or been moved around so i have had suspicians for a while but today i found out for sure that when i am not here my dad comes into the room and pokes around in my stuff.

I find this totally unacceptable and an invasion of my privacy, he would go crazy if it was me going thru his stuff. I feel very angry today, i am sat here feeling really wound up, who does he think he is?

I want to say something to him but the man is an idiot, never seems to even attempt to understand anyones feelings or point of view but his own.

Maybe your father thinks the same way you do; i.e. “never seems to even attempt to understand anyone’s feelings or point of view”.

Harsh language about your father; it doesn’t appear to be YOUR home anymore.

Maybe he’s just wondering how you still feel justified in leaving so much stuff in HIS home.

If it bothers you so much move it out.

If he knew how you felt about him he would probably help you move your ‘stuff’ out.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he found your wank mags then, I assume?
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    You moved out, you no longer live there. Your room is now a spare room and you are a guest in their house. Also maybe you should have taken your stuff with you when you moved out. Whatever I left when I moved out my parents can go through all they like and they do, then they ask if they can throw it away.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Are you paying for storage?
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. The person wants to nitpick and be pedantic over how you spell through. Its a well known fact that it can be shortened to thru, a bit like when people type OMG instead of oh my god or lol instead of laugh out loud.

Yeah I agree with you. People can be so patronizing and rude on these forums nowadays. Back on topic, I think the best thing you could do is take the stuff you left at your dads to your new place, or ask him not to go through it he is okay with you leaving it at his house for the time being.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Nothing wrong with shortening words, I often do it when I'm posting from my smartphone or tablet as it's quicker. I use full words if typing on my Macs though.
  • **JennaJ****JennaJ** Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    If you don't like it, get your stuff and put it where you live.

You moved out nearly 2 years ago and you still have a bedroom at your fathers house that you use as a Storeroom. That's a bit selfish really isn't it?

How would you like it if your father decided to put all his old crud in your spare bedroom?
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a step back OP!

Unless you've got the heads of the last 9 hookers still under the bed, what's the big deal? You've moved out. It's his house. If there's any incriminating evidence left (of the dead hookers) take it to your new place.

Love your dad, and his faults...we all have them...after all, he'll be a long time dead.
  • giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the real problem?

Did he find your stash of rent boy magazines?
    Did he drink your stash of booze?
    Did you forget to log out of the pervy websites you've been on?
    Did he find out about your supposed agoraphobia?
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) How did you find out 'for sure' he has been going through your stuff?
    2) Have you actually asked him about it? If so what did he say?

Whatever I agree with others in that you need to ship out completely if it bothers you.
    Forum Member
    Take a step back OP!

Unless you've got the heads of the last 9 hookers still under the bed, what's the big deal? You've moved out. It's his house. If there's any incriminating evidence left (of the dead hookers) take it to your new place.

Love your dad, and his faults...we all have them...after all, he'll be a long time dead.

Classic
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Is he going through your knicker drawer?
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My advice is really for your dad. Best thing to do is move and not give a forwarding address, or if that's not possible change the locks when off spring is out and don't give them a key.
This discussion has been closed.