Options

How many people on DS went to University?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
I'll add a poll so we can see the results.

I unfortunately have not been to university because I had such a bad experience in college. I had a tutor who played the race and religion card to keep her job. She was a bad tutor but my class wasn't having any of it so we protested to the head of the college and got her sacked. It was a long, pain staking process and at the end of it we didn't feel like we had achieved anything because we had all spent so much time trying to get rid of her that we had completely lost track of our education. It was a bad time. The college employed supply tutors to come in and teach us but it was too far in the year to be able to do well and because of this I just went for a pass instead of a distinction. To be fair the work was really easy. I was being lazy but because it was so easy it felt like we were learning primary school things like how to make power points and this was supposed to be the best level of computing before university. It was boring as well.

I would like to go to uni in the future if I ever get the chance to fund my education however I think it's too late for me now. The best thing for me would most likely climb up the rankings at my place of work.

Have you been to uni? What did you study?

Did you go to University? 215 votes

YES - I liked it
57% 124 votes
YES - I disliked it
9% 21 votes
NO - I didn't/don't want to
23% 51 votes
NO - I would like to go
8% 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did for a year. Pissed about drinking all year and failed all my exams.

Went to my local tech after that and did a HND followed by two CCNA courses.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I did, but dropped out after the first term. I am not really academic.
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    I went to college, got a degree in teaching and worked at it for about 2 - 3 years on and off. Found it tough to get permanent and then went on to study Special Needs Education before working in a montessori for two years.

I'm now just gone 26 and working in a completely different area (not teaching related). I love my job now but the reality is i could have gone in at entry level, right after school - no degree was needed (not that I regret it).

Uni is great, but it's not for everyone and sometimes other opportunities arrive :)
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TescoJeans wrote: »
    I would like to go to uni in the future if I ever get the chance to fund my education however I think it's too late for me now.

Your profile says you are 20 :D

At 24, I am one of the youngest 'mature' students in my year at University.

It's not the be all and end all and too many people think they must go to Uni when they would be better suited to something else. But going at 18 isn't the only way. Infact, I would have done a really pointless course at 18 I had no idea what I wanted to do.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I liked it!
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've been to three.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I did and liked it so much I never left academia.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I got a BSc Hons BIT; my degree was focused around business and digital media (like a crossover between business and online/digital media. So business, copyright law, marketing, UI and UX design, usability, web and stuff like that.

Also did art and business at college. If that seems like an odd combination; it was because I wanted too start a creative agency, which I did.

I got a 2-1 but was about 5 points away from a 1st which was fecking annoying but hey ho.

I enjoyed uni, its a totally different environment too college; much like college is a totally different environment from school.
  • Options
    glitterlady08glitterlady08 Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes really liked it..;-)
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to uni at 17 :blush:
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Yes, I went. I loved parts of it and hated others. It is really unlike any other experience you'll probably have in your life.

(I got a First too..haha)
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Theoretically I could have, had I received the correct grades (it was the year of an SQA fiasco and they had to re-send out grades, they'd originally sent out incorrect grades) but I didn't know what I wanted to do, didn't know what degree I'd have studied and so on, so I went for a general HND college course instead and graduated from that. I was quite proud of passing that - I know at secondary school, some people thought college was like skiving but I remember it involved a fair bit of hard work.

I still don't know what I want to do lol im in a job but its not really right for me...who knows what is *sigh*
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    NO - I didn't/don't want to
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different universities offer different experiences, in size, location and traditions. I went to St Andrews & look back on it fondly. I still have my red gown stowed away somewhere :)
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I toyed with the idea of doing an English degree, but I find the way the subject is taught quite unappealing.

I love literature and language, but analysing and pulling it apart takes something away from the beauty of it. Reading the classics and concerning yourself with the syntax and phonetics etc seems to reduce them to something almost mechanical and dull.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it's not really my thing. I have a good job for someone my age though and at least I don't have debt :)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it, both times.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was young it never occurred to me or most of my peers.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted too but circumstances beyond my control at the time stopped me, I am pleased that my son has got the chance and is so far doing well there.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to University to obtain a degree in Computer Science. It was just something I set my mind on doing at school. I had a great time at University and I would suggest to anyone of any age to consider it. If you are working you can consider the Open University courses which offer a root back into education part time.

It is something to be proud and to look back with fond memory's as you get older. Even if you don't think it is for you well you never know until you try.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, went to 3. Loved the first one (undergraduate), hated the second (masters) and dropped out in the first month, enjoyed the third one (masters) but very different to undergraduate.

When I decided to drop out of my first masters, the course tutor told me I had wasted the grant I had got and would never get funding at any UK university again. I cried in his office. He told me I should pursue a completely different field. He didn't get that I hated his university and course structure, not the actual subject matter. I took two years out to work, applied for the same masters at a different university, got fully funded with a grant and graduated with a distinction. I now have a successful career in that field with 10 years experience. Many tutors are inspirational, but this one was an idiot.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been to a few during a degree, masters and now PhD, its not for everyone, and people have to just do what's best for them. I wouldn't change my experiences, have had fantastic international opportunities, collaborated with wonderful people and great research that has set me up for life.

It's what you make, college, uni or straight into work, you got to do what'll make you happy! Those talking about debt, yes that's an issue, you have to be smart with your choices, I'm lucky in that what I do has paid all my student loans in 2 years! Great value in my opinion, and career security, but not everyone can be so lucky! You have to be careful what you study too, and it's future prospects!
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I'm a few weeks away from finishing my first year of university and I love it so far. But university isn't for everyone.

I don't regret starting university. Although my opinion might be different in the third year when I'm in from 9am to 12am like a mate of mine (in my university) is going through now, and has been all year. :p
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I left school and went straight out to work - I didn't bother with College or University back then. I did go to College at a much later age, but I've never had any interest in going to Uni.