Star Wars Episode 7 force ghost

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will there be any returns from Yoda or Obi Wan as Force Ghosts in Episode 7?

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of hope not.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a given that we'll see a "ghostly" Yoda. It hasn't been confirmed but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we see a 60 year-old Luke Skywalker having a couple of scenes with his former master.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    It's a given that we'll see a "ghostly" Yoda. It hasn't been confirmed but I wouldn't be shocked at all if we see a 60 year-old Luke Skywalker having a couple of scenes with his former master.

"Luke, you must complete their training"
    "I can't get the vision out of my head, they're my pies I gotta have them"
    "You must not go!"
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will there be any returns from Yoda or Obi Wan as Force Ghosts in Episode 7?

Well Alec Guiness has been dead a while... so there'll be no cameo from him. Unless they do a "Forrest Gump" and cgi him into it. But it's extremely unlikely.

Then the other option is getting Ewan McGregor to come back and play him, but then Obi-Wan's ghost will look decidedly younger than when he died. And the Star Wars purists won't like that. Remember the stink they made when Sebastian Shaw's Anakin was replaced with Hayden Christensen in Lucas' 'Return Of The Jedi' Super Exclusive Rejigged Limited Definitve Enhanced Remastered Never-To-Be-Rereleased-Til-Next-Year Edition?
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as there isn't a force ghost of Jar Jar Binks, I will be happy. :D
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    As long as there isn't a force ghost of Jar Jar Binks, I will be happy. :D

He might not need one. He was alive and well as far as we know at the end of Episode 3. He may well still be alive for Episode 7, 8 and 9.

There's a threat!
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    He might not need one. He was alive and well as far as we know at the end of Episode 3. He may well still be alive for Episode 7, 8 and 9.

There's a threat!

In my best Darth Vader voice 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »

There's a threat!

In the superdooper Return of the Jedi as well. "Weesa Free"
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    "Luke, you must complete their training"
    "I can't get the vision out of my head, they're my pies I gotta have them"
    "You must not go!"
    The Hmm..Pie Strikes Back?
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. And I sincerely hope we will not see Hayden Christensen back as Anakin's ghost. Replacing Sebastian Shaw with Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi was among the worst changes Lucas made to the original trilogy.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    I hope not. And I sincerely hope we will not see Hayden Christensen back as Anakin's ghost. Replacing Sebastian Shaw with Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi was among the worst changes Lucas made to the original trilogy.

Why did he do that out of interest? Just cos he fancied it?

If he'd changed the earlier bit so it was Christensen underneath when Vader's helmet came off, I suppose it would have made more sense. But as it is....it just looked silly!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he'd changed the earlier bit so it was Christensen underneath when Vader's helmet came off, I suppose it would have made more sense. But as it is....it just looked silly!

That would have made even less sense because Christensen was the young Vader.. the Vader Luke unmasked was 20 odd years older and disfigured due to his burns.

If anything having Hayden as the ghost makes more sense because I'm sure I wasn't the only person who saw some random Jedi stood next to Obi-Wan back when the original movie came out and thought "Who the hell is that?". It makes sense now it was Vader but at the time I was clueless.

By putting Christensen there you allow the newer audiences and old alike to appreciate that Anakin is stood there.. ie.. Vader before he turned bad. I think it works just fine.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I imagine in keeping with his original vision of the films. As I see it, Anakin fell from grace as a Jedi (looking like Hayden Christensen) and was then rebuilt as Vader "More machine than man now"
    There were still parts of him that were biological. With technological assistance, they would've still aged over the years. Hence when his helmet was removed he looked older. And as he returned to being a Jedi, the Force helped him envision himself as he was "before the Dark Side... before the Empire"

That's my view on it anyway, I'm sure RebelScum will have a more definitve answer if he ever replies to this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume Lucas did it to tie in with his crappy new prequel trilogy, as with most other changes he made to the original films.

Anakin didn't die when he became Vader so seeing his younger self at the end of Jedi made absolutely no sense. And I think it's actually a tiny bit disrespectful to the original actor that he was effectively cut and pasted out.
  • midsblue1972midsblue1972 Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm suspecting Lucas' interpretation of the force ghost is when they were last a Jedi.

Hence Kenobi being Guinness rather than MacGregor and Anakin being Christensen rather than Shaw.

At time of Jedi, Lucas was still undecided on producing more SW movies and had he shoved in a new face to that of Shaw people would be saying WTF?! That said, I still think Lucas wasn't 100% certain how the 9 episodes - if there were 9 - would pan out during the original trilogy hence why Vader was killed in original cut of A New Hope and changed it following criticism by Spielberg, Scorsese etc as all but Lucas knew that it would be a hit.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Even if there was a ghost Yoda, would we be able to see him behind all the lens flare?
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was down in Co Kerry last week and there was a lot of camera crews and mayhem with helicopters to and fro a wee island of Kerry.

Something like Father Ted Craggy island and the security around it was enormous with even an Irish Fisheries protection gunboat keeping boats etc away from the island
    Forum Member
    I assume Lucas did it to tie in with his crappy new prequel trilogy, as with most other changes he made to the original films.

Anakin didn't die when he became Vader so seeing his younger self at the end of Jedi made absolutely no sense. And I think it's actually a tiny bit disrespectful to the original actor that he was effectively cut and pasted out.

It was a big mistake thematically as well I always thought, because the "ghost" of smiling and kind-looking Sebastian Shaw was Luke's poignant glimpse of what his father would have been like had he never turned to the dark side and become Darth Vader. Hayden Christensen's appearance with his sinister grin didn't make sense or have the same impact in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a big mistake thematically as well I always thought, because the "ghost" of smiling and kind-looking Sebastian Shaw was Luke's poignant glimpse of what his father would have been like had he never turned to the dark side and become Darth Vader. Hayden Christensen's appearance with his sinister grin didn't make sense or have the same impact in my opinion.

I completely agree. It was one of the most baffling changes to the original trilogy.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lucas thought he could ge away with it because Sebastian Shaw died in 1994. His reasoning for the change was that Sebastian Shaw at 60 looked too old to be playing a 45 year old. However Hayden Christensen looked too young to me.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden Christensen's appearance with his sinister grin didn't make sense or have the same impact in my opinion.

Yeah, he did look very sinister didn't he?!
    Forum Member
    Yeah, he did look very sinister didn't he?!

He really did. It was a missed opportunity, as the tale of a heroic Jedi falling from grace and becoming Darth Vader was potential story gold, but Anakin was portrayed as an unlikeable, whiny brat from the off.

I think Lucas should have made the Jedi less monk-like, and gone with a kind of Arthur / Guinevere / Lancelot type love triangle with the female lead, and it was that which turned one against the other. (Lucas is however, utterly inept at dealing with any kind of love scene) Boning your mate's wife is asking for trouble! :D

The Jedi "Knights" should have been like the Knights of the Round Table, valiant and full of derring-do, not morose, boring characters.

The other thing about the Force ghost of Anakin Skywalker is that Anakin knew that even when dead, his redemption meant that he would be able to continue to appear to his son anyway. That is why, in response to Luke's "I've got to save you" he replies "You already have" and smiles. That is why he should have remained the man at the age he was, not regressed back to a man younger than his own son is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He really did. It was a missed opportunity, as the tale of a heroic Jedi falling from grace and becoming Darth Vader was potential story gold, but Anakin was portrayed as an unlikeable, whiny brat from the off.

I think Lucas should have made the Jedi less monk-like, and gone with a kind of Arthur / Guinevere / Lancelot type love triangle with the female lead, and it was that which turned one against the other. (Lucas is however, utterly inept at dealing with any kind of love scene) Boning your mate's wife is asking for trouble! :D

The Jedi "Knights" should have been like the Knights of the Round Table, valiant and full of derring-do, not morose, boring characters.

The other thing about the Force ghost of Anakin Skywalker is that Anakin knew that even when dead, his redemption meant that he would be able to continue to appear to his son anyway. That is why, in response to Luke's "I've got to save you" he replies "You already have" and smiles. That is why he should have remained the man at the age he was, not regressed back to a man younger than his own son is.

Great post, you've summed up exactly how I feel about the prequels. So much wasted potential.

Far from being a fallen Jedi hero, Anakin was immature, whiney and annoying. The love story was also pathetic; the dialogue between Anakin and Padme is among the worst I have ever heard in any film. Ever.

I love your point about the Jedis being too monk-like, I agree they should have been more like Knights. Obi Wan told us the Jedis were once the "guardians of peace and justice in the Republic" - however every bad thing that happens in the prequels, including the rise of Palpatine and the fall of the Republic, is all arguably a direct result of the incompetence of the Jedi Council. Through all three films we keep hearing how they believe training Anakin is 'dangerous' and that putting him with Palpatine is 'dangerous' yet they go ahead and do it anyway. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Great post, you've summed up exactly how I feel about the prequels. So much wasted potential.

Far from being a fallen Jedi hero, Anakin was immature, whiney and annoying. The love story was also pathetic; the dialogue between Anakin and Padme is among the worst I have ever heard in any film. Ever.

I love your point about the Jedis being too monk-like, I agree they should have been more like Knights. Obi Wan told us the Jedis were once the "guardians of peace and justice in the Republic" - however every bad thing that happens in the prequels, including the rise of Palpatine and the fall of the Republic, is all arguably a direct result of the incompetence of the Jedi Council. Through all three films we keep hearing how they believe training Anakin is 'dangerous' and that putting him with Palpatine is 'dangerous' yet they go ahead and do it anyway. :confused:

Very true. I think Lucas tried to do too much in Episode III. Anakin should have been introduced in Episode 1 at the age he was in Episode 2, not a little boy. That way his character and relationship with Obi-Wan could have been far more rounded. I also think Lucas scored a massive own goal by hinting at the "Clone Wars" in Episode 4, and having three prequel movies against which to set them, and instead showing only the start and finish of the Wars, instead saving the actual Clone Wars for a cartoon series???
  • Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Perfect though it may NOT be...at the end of Return of the Jedi, the "Jedi" did indeed "Return"