Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope he gets the ding back in his dong soon. Have a good recovery, Leslie!
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless him, I hope he's being well looked after. He seems like a lovely, classy man by all accounts.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor b******d !
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A stroke of what?

*ding dong*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope he gets well soon, should have been made a sir...
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    A stroke of what?

*ding dong*

You beat me to it ;-)
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hoping he makes a full recovery.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Hope Leslie get's better soon, having a stroke is a terrible experience for both the sufferer and there families, so i hope both Leslie and his wife are getting the care and support they need. Leslie is a legend and i hope we don't lose another great as we have lost quite a few this year but he is 90 years of age so he could go at any time but i hope it is not for a while yet.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leslie Phillips has always been a favourite of mine. Hope he gets well soon.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Mrs Phillips no longer with us?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Isn't Mrs Phillips no longer with us?

His second wife died in 2011. He re-married last year.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Rooting for him and wishing him all the best
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see all the well-wishers, but he's not going to get much better at his age, is he?

He's done well to outlive pretty much all of his contemporaries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    should have been made a sir...

I don't agree with that. Not many Carry On/Doctor light comedy actors got a knighthood, did they? They didn't hand them out like sweets in those days. It wasn't so devalued.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. Not many Carry On/Doctor light comedy actors got a knighthood, did they? They didn't hand them out like sweets in those days. It wasn't so devalued.

Didnt he also star in Out of Africa with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    He been much more than a carry on actor, and only appeared in a few of the films..
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He been much more than a carry on actor, and only appeared in a few of the films..

Absolutely. He was in Nurse, Teacher and Constable, then came back years later for Columbus.

In his later career, he decided he wanted to do Chekhov, Shakespeare and big films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. He was in Nurse, Teacher and Constable, then came back years later for Columbus.

In his later career, he decided he wanted to do Chekhov, Shakespeare and big films.

I'm not saying he's not a decent actor (most of the Carry On actors were highly trained) but like most of the rest of them, he ended up in very stereotyped roles and in a sort of comfort zone. He became a sort of Terry Thomas actor to me. I remember him being good value on talk shows too, usually reciting his "Helloooo" line. But I wouldn't class him as a great actor and deserving of a knighthood. He's got a CBE, which is more than most of his contemporaries got. People like Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey and Joan Sims died with bugger all after their name. Kenneth Connor - usually acknowledged as the best actor - got an MBE. I'll be sad when he's gone but he's had a great run.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Hope Leslie get's better soon, having a stroke is a terrible experience for both the sufferer and there families, so i hope both Leslie and his wife are getting the care and support they need. Leslie is a legend and i hope we don't lose another great as we have lost quite a few this year but he is 90 years of age so he could go at any time but i hope it is not for a while yet.

We've lost another legend tonight :(
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,173
    Forum Member
    Leslie's wife was on TV this morning and she says that he is on the mend. Luckily she realised that he was having a stroke and got him to hospital as soon as possible.

She says that he has been inundated with Get Well cards and good wishes from his many fans. :)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is good news, thanks for the update :)