Options

Minimoons - ideal destinations?

JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
Forum Member
✭✭
Right, getting married late Dec this year planning to fly off around 24 or 25 Dec for a honeymoon for about 7-10 days max however understandably money is really tight at the moment but I’ve heard the word ‘mini moon’ mentioned a few times which are essentially cheaper honeymoons for those who are broke or cant afford a spectacular honeymoon.

Any ideas for ideal destinations?

We are looking for a more relaxed, calm, exploring type of trip if that helps on a £1,500 budget flight & hotel etc.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might be difficult as it's during the christmas holidays.

Where would you like to go UK/Europe or further afield.

mini moon ideas
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    If money's really tight, it might be worthwhile considering postponing it until, say, early January.

We are holidaying in Mexico, flying out on the 2nd of Jan rather than the 26th of Dec almost halved the price.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the word minimoon.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - going 10 days later will keep costs down massively!
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it have to be a sunny hot holiday? If not there are some brilliant places in the arctic circle with amazing snowy landscape and loads of activities. There are ski resorts there but they are quite small more like large hills and activities like sleigh rides and husky sledging etc. are more popular. You can stay in your own pretty little cabin in the woods often with it's own sauna, it's quite romantic snuggling by the fire, and if you are lucky the northern lights might put on a show for you.
  • Options
    JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the replies and the link above.

Sadly we can't travel in early January due to my other half working as a teacher and she needs to be back before the school term begins to prepare etc.

I am open to ski resorts and a bit of a chill but not sure the other half would be - what suggestions do you have Punkchick? The cabin in the woods sounds really interesting.

Perhaps maybe a short getaway will suffice then and the main proper honeymoon to come in the Summer school holidays...
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have a search for you later, what I am talking about is very different to a normal ski resort in the alps etc. The place is breathtaking and you will never feel as Christmassy as here.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought about Scotland. My cousin went there for her honeymoon after a Christmas wedding. She had a great time with all the hogmany celebrations.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Have you thought about Scotland. My cousin went there for her honeymoon after a Christmas wedding. She had a great time with all the hogmany celebrations.

I was going to suggest Hogmany in Edinburgh.