Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Thursday's episode - not a good one. It's like 1976 just refused to lay down and die. No cool kids permitted in the studio this week. That "two to tango" song was terrible, as was his treatment of the sex doll!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LATEST NEWS ON TOTP 1978 REPEATS ON BBC4

Have just read on the BBC's internal magazine Ariel that they are to end repeats of TOTP 1978 on BBC4 in the final week of April, in part because of flatlining viewing figures and the issues around presenters from the era not being shown, such as Savile & DLT causing continuity issues that they want to overcome. From the first Thursday in May we will not be going back 35 years anymore, but 25 years to the matching week in 1988, with such delights as S-Express on top, and other not so classic tracks from the low point of the 80's. A press release is coming out on Tuesday afternoon about the change.

Much prefer the airplays of old, from 1978, than 1988.

I'm sure everyone is going to be just so delighted with this new development. :cry::rolleyes:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Tell us this tomorrow Rich...
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wsih that were true Rich. I've had mega problems trying to get hold of 1988 shows, but 1978 shows are quite common on the trading circuit, with a lot being shown on UK Gold..
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    That's disappointing news , Rich, was patiently waiting for 1981 and one of my fav years
    Hope it doesn't morph into a TOTP2 style program
  • Options
    HughJasssHughJasss Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    2/10 April Fools. Must try harder!
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Hill: "I'm appearing on Top of the Pops - Great! Must wear my favourite cardigan..."
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Have just read on the BBC's internal magazine Ariel that they are to end repeats of TOTP 1978 on BBC4 in the final week of April, in part because of flatlining viewing figures and the issues around presenters from the era not being shown, such as Savile & DLT causing continuity issues that they want to overcome. From the first Thursday in May we will not be going back 35 years anymore, but 25 years to the matching week in 1988, with such delights as S-Express on top, and other not so classic tracks from the low point of the 80's. A press release is coming out on Tuesday afternoon about the change.

Much prefer the airplays of old, from 1978, than 1988.

I'm sure everyone is going to be just so delighted with this new development. :cry::rolleyes:

I certainly hope this is an April Fool!! :mad: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just saw TOTP Big Hits 78 last night (or whatever it was called) repeated from Christmas time - and they cut out BOTH DLT clips!! - How bad is that?? - No April fool either! :(
  • Options
    eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Just saw TOTP Big Hits 78 last night (or whatever it was called) repeated from Christmas time - and they cut out BOTH DLT clips!! - How bad is that?? - No April fool either! :(

It was 'The Story Of 1978'.Yes,i noticed that as well :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I certainly hope this is an April Fool!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Oh my God, time to get the petition going. They can't surely? Everyone raise up arms, I hope you're wrong mate.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Much prefer the AIRPLAYS OF OLD, from 1978, than 1988.

Great to see there aren't too many "fools" on this lively thread, nothing personal Jake, Canalboy and one or two others. ;)

YES IT WAS AN APRIL FOOL:p

The clue was in "airplays of old" which is an anagram of April Fool's Day.

So Ursula you can rest easy knowing 1988 will not be inflicted on you, and onwards with 1978. Must admit I thought I would induce a cascade of fury and comment, but clearly we're a smart and measured bunch on here. :cool:

I actually watched the film Grease all the way through on TV last night (Easter Sunday) and that was the first time I had actually done so since I went to the cinema to watch it in 1978. I only ever remembered it for the music, and people on here better get used to it because we are already almost a third of the way into 1978, and yet out of the remaining time to years end, a whole one third of the year will be taken up with two songs from Grease at the top. Not to forget the other hits from the film.

So the message is make the most of the next couple of weeks worth of TOTP 1978, because by the end of April we will be on board the Saturday Night Fever & Grease frenzy with a vengeance.

For me personally, this weeks TOTP will see the first record I ever bought reaching No1, and I will enjoy it hugely. Out of interest, has anyone else had the first record they bought shown on any of the past 2 years TOTP to date, or am I alone on that one so far?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an April Fool, but a small nagging doubt suggested that we might be seeing acts from Stock, Aitken & Waterman and Bros very soon. The Reynolds Girls anyone?
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Great to see there aren't too many "fools" on this lively thread, nothing personal Jake, Canalboy and one or two others. ;)

The clue was in "airplays of old" which is an anagram of April Fool's Day.

Nice one :)
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, so disappointed this was an April Fool, I was so looking forward to seeing Bros, Sabrina and Glenn Mederios in the coming weeks :)
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, so disappointed this was an April Fool, I was so looking forward to seeing Bros, Sabrina and Glenn Mederios in the coming weeks :)

Well, you'll only have to wait another 10 years to see it!
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chance will be a fine thing! It's funny though that while I like music from 1988 my fave 1988 TOTP (22/12/88) contains a few acts that were around in the 70s - Status Quo, Cliff and The Four Tops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ;)

So Ursula you can rest easy knowing 1988 will not be inflicted on you, and onwards with 1978.

For me personally, this weeks TOTP will see the first record I ever bought reaching No1, and I will enjoy it hugely. Out of interest, has anyone else had the first record they bought shown on any of the past 2 years TOTP to date, or am I alone on that one so far?

!!!HURRAH!!!

And yes - not the first record I bought - but the first record I begged my mum to buy me for Christmas was Mississippi by Pussycat (1976) - I was only about 6 or 7 and for some reason loved the song!! - (Which was very out of character for me - considering the kind of music I went on to like)!! :D

- I think maybe it was the singer's long blonde hair - very appealing to little girls - I was also a fan of Agnetha Faltskog's long blonde hair too! :)

The first record I went out and bought with my own pocket money was Heart of Glass by Blondie (1979).
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Not from the last two years, sorry, but I still very clearly remember the purchase of my first single. It was a Saturday afternoon, I was 6 years old and I was in the record section of Woolworths with my dad (him again!). He said if I chose a record from the Top 40 he'd buy it for me. I looked up and searched for the one I really liked from seeing it on Top Of The Pops. I found it and pointed at it with an emphatic, "That one!".

So, 6 year girl. 1986. What d'you reckon it was?

Did you get it?

:D
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be surprised if BBC Four think about changing the repeats format if DLT was to be charged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not from the last two years, sorry, but I still very clearly remember the purchase of my first single. It was a Saturday afternoon, I was 6 years old and I was in the record section of Woolworths with my dad (him again!). He said if I chose a record from the Top 40 he'd buy it for me. I looked up and searched for the one I really liked from seeing it on Top Of The Pops. I found it and pointed at it with an emphatic, "That one!".

Did you get it?

So was it Stan Ridgway Camouflage then? I actually liked that record!! :D
    I was gonna guess you asked for Walk Like An Egyptian which also was quite good! ;)
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    The years listed are likely slightly out. His eyesight was dodgy then, let alone now. I think he just purely went with what the label said. He even noted all the catalogue numbers. It Takes Two To Tango by Richard Myhill, for instance, was Tango1.

I'll ask about the Dr Hook single, though chances are he won't remember.
    I'm sure your Dad's eyesight is/was fine! My guess is that he has made a note of the Copyright year on each single, as opposed to when he actually bought it.

Obviously a lot of records are written and recorded before they are released as a single, and in some cases the single might be climbing the charts months later (e.g. second or third single releases from an LP).

For the same reason, I'm sure some records in your father's "1977" list were ones he actually bought in the first few months of 1978.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you get it?

Jeez, I'd forgotten all about that song!
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if BBC Four think about changing the repeats format if DLT was to be charged.

Surely if DLT was going to be charged he would have been by now? The situation with him seems ridiculous.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    So was it Stan Ridgway Camouflage then? I actually liked that record!! :D
    I was gonna guess you asked for Walk Like An Egyptian which also was quite good! ;)

Walk Like An Egyptian is one of my all time favourites, but weirdly I never had it on record. It was also just before I started taping stuff off the radio so it's not on any of my old cassettes.

darren1090 wrote: »
    I'm sure your Dad's eyesight is/was fine! My guess is that he has made a note of the Copyright year on each single, as opposed to when he actually bought it.

Obviously a lot of records are written and recorded before they are released as a single, and in some cases the single might be climbing the charts months later (e.g. second or third single releases from an LP).

For the same reason, I'm sure some records in your father's "1977" list were ones he actually bought in the first few months of 1978.

No really, he's pretty much blind in one eye!

But yeah, totally get what you're saying.

I might post the list of what he bought in 1977.
This discussion has been closed.