Options

My dog was put to sleep today

The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Deefer, the family's border collie was put to sleep today at the age of 10 and a half. He has snapped and turned a couple of times, but most of the time was the most amazing soft pooch who would roll around on the floor with my kids, play tug of war with them, bounce with them on the trampoline etc. But this morning while sitting quietly having a gentle stroke of his head, he turned on my eldest then when I put my arm up to get him away he bit me too. The dog was ridden with guilt, he wouldnt come back in the house for ages and when he did just nestled up to my feet and rolled over time and time again.

We both needed hospital treatment but we knew what we had to do. He allowed the vet to muzzle him and let her give him the sedative. Then he turned again and even after two doses of sedation was still curling his lip and trying to bite her. The vet explained it was a brain problem like a split personality, a red rage would come over him and he wouldnt even remember it except he was filled with guilt at something but with no knowledge of what. She agreed it was in deefs best interests because he was not going to enjoy life any longer.

He passed away and we held him and loved him and kissed him, saying our thanks for 10 wonderful years with just a couple of blips.

Sorry everybody, I needed to write this down but didnt know where else to put it. It really feels like my heart is breaking, Ive got three children Ive just held as they sobbed in bed too.

RIP Deef, my best mate

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I am so sorry to hear your story. It must have been heartbreaking when your dog changed personality like that. It was a brave thing that you did today, RIP Deefer, bless x .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Very sad story, hmmm

Did your children ever tease the dog/ push it to far?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou Lone Ranger.

Josephine - no, they respected him, he would come and play with them. My children are all above the age of 7 and have been brought up amongst animals so know to treat them with the utmost respect. We sought the adcice of professionals early on who told us all the tricks, we all fed him, we made sure he knew where he stood in the 'pack', but the vet said it was not a case of bad management or anything to do with how he had been treated or brought up, it was simply a brain disorder.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    OP it brought back the tears to my eyes, to my sad decision last year (posted also on here). I think we post because we hate ourselves, for making that awful decison, that you know you really have to, but it does not make it any easier. It makes you feel awful, should you have given them more time, kept them in pain, on permanent medication? etc
    You rely on your Vets advice at the end of the day and OP you did your best for as long as you could. Don't cut yourself up about it, even if you saved him, how long before you would have been in the same situation? XX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear the sad news, but you did he right thing. Maybe the poor dog had a tumour or something and it affected his brain, causing the problem. :(
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that was a heartbreaking decision , and my heart goes out to you and your family.. there was clearly something wrong with the poor creature and you have almost certainly spared him any suffering... I hope you all feel better soon ..try to remember the good times !
  • Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear The Mangler, I'm so sorry to hear that, it made me cry - particularly about you having to explain to your kids :cry: .

Poor Deefer, but as others have said, perhaps he had a problem that would only have got worse, and being such a lovely dog so far he wouldn't have wanted to cause you all any harm :( .

RIP Deefer, and best wishes to the rest of the family x.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sad :( sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry. Even when you know it's the right thing to do, it is still one of the hardest things to do and come to terms with.

RIP Deefer.

xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou all so much. I cant begin to tell you how much it helps to know others understand - to a lot of people its 'just a dog' - but we know how much a part of the family they are.

thankyou all again, for your good wishes and sympathy.
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    I lost mine a year ago, and it was heartbreaking but better they dont suffer, and he will be in a better place now and it does get easier. Remember the good times and what a good life he had.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    I am so so sorry for your loss. sounds like a really hard decision was made, but for the best. He obviously loved you and your family very much and wouldn't have wanted to hurt them in any way. Bless his little soul. It has made me cry reading this. :cry: Quite low this morning. Spent last night crying again over PTS my cat 7 months ago. My thoughts are with you.

RIP Deefer.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my sympathies...I've had two dogs put down in the past couple of years (Border collie and Alsation) and it's heartbreaking.

I always say that if you don't love your pets you shouldn't have them so it's not stupid to be upset when the time comes......
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry Mangler - heartbreaking.

RIP Deefer xx
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Deefer xx

I know he'll be missed, but at least he was peaceful.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes a dog can suddenly turn like this through some sort of brain problem. You did the right thing.

Imagine if he had badly bitten one of your children on the face?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. :(
  • Options
    PapaLazarou999PapaLazarou999 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R.I.P.Deefer

You had no choice Mangler,you will come to realise this soon.

Such a shame.xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did absolutely the right thing OP. It takes a lot of courage to make that sort of decision and you shouldn't feel bad at all.

Time will help and you'll soon remember the good times. You gave Deefer a loving home for more than 10 years and did the right thing by him at the end.

I'm so sorry for your loss,

DC
    xxx

RIP Deefer.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,114
    Forum Member
    sorry to hear the sad news...thinking of you x
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - have tears in my eyes reading this thread. My heart goes out to you but you did the right thing, RIP Deefer
  • Options
    RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deefer, the family's border collie was put to sleep today at the age of 10 and a half. He has snapped and turned a couple of times, but most of the time was the most amazing soft pooch who would roll around on the floor with my kids, play tug of war with them, bounce with them on the trampoline etc. But this morning while sitting quietly having a gentle stroke of his head, he turned on my eldest then when I put my arm up to get him away he bit me too. The dog was ridden with guilt, he wouldnt come back in the house for ages and when he did just nestled up to my feet and rolled over time and time again.

We both needed hospital treatment but we knew what we had to do. He allowed the vet to muzzle him and let her give him the sedative. Then he turned again and even after two doses of sedation was still curling his lip and trying to bite her. The vet explained it was a brain problem like a split personality, a red rage would come over him and he wouldnt even remember it except he was filled with guilt at something but with no knowledge of what. She agreed it was in deefs best interests because he was not going to enjoy life any longer.

He passed away and we held him and loved him and kissed him, saying our thanks for 10 wonderful years with just a couple of blips.

Sorry everybody, I needed to write this down but didnt know where else to put it. It really feels like my heart is breaking, Ive got three children Ive just held as they sobbed in bed too.

RIP Deef, my best mate

That actually brought a wee tear to my eye.... I know what I'd be like if I lost my dog :(

Sorry to hear what happened :(
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear your sad news. Hope you and your eldest recover soon.

As a child we had a Cocker Spaniel that was much the same - could be a lovely dog but he would just turn. Eventually he turned on my sister and took her hand apart - my mother struggled to get him off. There was only one option after that, as sad as it was.

To begin with we were very upset, even my sister - despite his aggression we loved him. But it passed in time. There are happy memories, but my parents did the right thing. As did you.
  • Options
    ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

RIP Deef, my best mate

So sorry to just read your dreadful news ... hope you decide to get another dog sometime in the future !!!!
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, I had a Border Collie myself and I know what wonderful dogs they are

It broke my heart when he eventually died, as I am sure it has yours..but from what your vet described, it sounds like he has been spared years of confusion and guilt
    xxx