The day of the triffids christmas on BBC 1 and HD

Denny HaynesDenny Haynes Posts: 99
Forum Member
Scanning through the christmas listings i happen to notice the BBC are showing this on Dec 28th and 29th on BBC 1 and HD, both have a length of 90 mins.

Can't see this being a patch on the 1980's John Duttine BBC version but we can live in hope.

Comments

• jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Of course, Emma Relph won't be in it :D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    You can now watch the complete 1981 series for free on YouTube thanks to those nice people at the BBC -

http://www.youtube.com/show/dayofthetriffids

:D
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    It sounds very promising to me.

Looking forward to it.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Barbella wrote: »
    It sounds very promising to me.

Looking forward to it.

Hang on, Eddie Izzarrd is in it :eek:

Great at comedy but acting....
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    jo2015 wrote: »

I like Eddie:o In a skirt or in a Triffid costume:o

Vanessa Redgrave knows a thing or too about acting though:)
  • fornowagainfornowagain Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    jo2015 wrote: »

Oh I dunno, thought he was ok in Valkyrie.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure everyone will try very hard and the effort will be there but this is just more proof of how the BBC has gone seriously bad.

Endless remakes and "international" ethos in the content/casting of so-called original drama (both in the case of this Triffids)

An all-star cast, it reminds me of those tedious efforts by the british film industry in the seventies.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will come close to the 1981 series. It's a masterpiece.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. The book is excellent but seeing triffids on screen looks comical. I hope the new version focuses on the real story of survival when society collapses.
  • reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone will try very hard and the effort will be there but this is just more proof of how the BBC has gone seriously bad.

Endless remakes and "international" ethos in the content/casting of so-called original drama (both in the case of this Triffids)

An all-star cast, it reminds me of those tedious efforts by the british film industry in the seventies.

Another BBC knocker. My God, just wait till the knockers get their way and the BBC goes. You end up with the only endless lobrow tedius crap that sky churn out.

For example compare any David Attenborough programme with the stuff on other channels, especially the Discovery Channels, the BBC produced programme is just in a league of its own.

Remakes are good - afterall if they just reshowed the old Triffids on Christmas Day, you would moan about repeats. Plus there are new generations being born all the time, some are viewers, others are actors, Directors etc. Plus there are the new techniques to improve the filming and story telling.

Sorry about the rant, but do do get peed off at attacks on the BBC when they really are unjustified. Yeah slate them for fixing phone in shows by all means, but moaning about a programme you haven't even seen yet? No sorry.

i'll get my coat
  • unbiasedunbiased Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been any clips/trailers photos of this, apart from cast list havent seen anything about it at all
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unbiased wrote: »
    Has there been any clips/trailers photos of this, apart from cast list havent seen anything about it at all

Not a lot been said at all, all i could track down was:

The Day Of The Triffids Ep 1/2
    New series High Definition programme
    BBC ONE (Schedule addition 1 December)

Dougray Scott, Joely Richardson, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave, Eddie Izzard and Jason Priestley star in The Day Of The Triffids, written by Patrick Harbinson. This epic, fast-paced futuristic two-part drama, shown on consecutive nights, is based on John Wyndham's best-selling novel of the same name, published in 1951.

In the not-too-distant future, man's search for an alternative fuel supply leads him to uncover the ominous Triffid, a crop now cultivated for its fuel that seems to have a life of its own. But when spectators gather worldwide for a much-anticipated solar storm, billions are left blinded and the few sighted survivors watch as society collapses into chaos. The Triffids, meanwhile, find their way out of captivity. Free to roam the planet with a fatal sting and a retributive taste for human flesh, the Triffids begin rapid breeding.

Now, Dr Bill Masen must lead the brave in their epic battle against the Triffids' reign of terror in what could be the last days of mankind...

Dougray Scott is Bill Masen, Joely Richardson is Jo Playton, Brian Cox is Dennis Masen, Vanessa Redgrave is Durrant, Eddie Izzard is Torrence and Jason Priestley is Coker

The fact that it was noted as an addition to the schedule on the 1st December, might mean we see some trailering next week.

The idea of Eddie Izzard as Torrence the representative of the feudal government from Brighton is somewhat interesting but does conjure some bizarre images of how that "army" will dress.

Jason Priestley is Coker - now that's just wrong.

As for Joely, I'm just waiting to see hers in the Tudors :)
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Not a lot been said at all, all i could track down was:

The fact that it was noted as an addition to the schedule on the 1st December, might mean we see some trailering next week.

The idea of Eddie Izzard as Torrence the representative of the feudal government from Brighton is somewhat interesting but does conjure some bizarre images of how that "army" will dress.

Jason Priestley is Coker - now that's just wrong.

As for Joely, I'm just waiting to see hers in the Tudors :)

hold on, I thought she was dead, or was that natasha ?

and joely is going to be in the tudours
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hold on, I thought she was dead, or was that natasha ?

and joely is going to be in the tudours

Natasha, her sister

She's playing Catherine Parr
    (family friendly forum photo)
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »

If you've ever seen The Riche$ your mind would be at rest. Entirely convincing as an American non-crossdresser.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aha

so that's why izzard is in the bbc drama xmas trailer then .....
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unbiased wrote: »

There's three or four brief clips of it in the BBC Drama Trailer.
  • unbiasedunbiased Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    aha

so that's why izzard is in the bbc drama xmas trailer then .....

a few comments saying eddie izzard will be the master on dr who, lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reeley wrote: »
    Another BBC knocker. My God, just wait till the knockers get their way and the BBC goes. You end up with the only endless lobrow tedius crap that sky churn out.

For example compare any David Attenborough programme with the stuff on other channels, especially the Discovery Channels, the BBC produced programme is just in a league of its own.

Remakes are good - afterall if they just reshowed the old Triffids on Christmas Day, you would moan about repeats. Plus there are new generations being born all the time, some are viewers, others are actors, Directors etc. Plus there are the new techniques to improve the filming and story telling.

Sorry about the rant, but do do get peed off at attacks on the BBC when they really are unjustified. Yeah slate them for fixing phone in shows by all means, but moaning about a programme you haven't even seen yet? No sorry.

i'll get my coat

In the USA they have several channels that provide quality TV for those that want it, the BBC (more accurately the TV licence) stops such a thing happening in the UK.

Remakes are nearly always driven by easy ratings, a past success that the BBC bods wish to emulate.
    Forum Member
    In the USA they have several channels that provide quality TV for those that want it, the BBC (more accurately the TV licence) stops such a thing happening in the UK.

LOL, sure they do!

You mean channels like HBO and Showtime, with their programmes like Rome, the Tudors, Extras, Little Britain:USA that will never be seen in the UK, let alone on the BBC.

The UK has subscription channels, just like the USA does. Your market, however, is 1/6th the size, and the penetration of Satellite and cable is much lower.

But by all means blame the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Remakes are nearly always driven by easy ratings, a past success that the BBC bods wish to emulate.

Interesting, I think the TV licence is what allows the BBC to go and make interesting and different and quality television that commercial channels just would not or could not do.

As someone living outside the UK at the moment ina country with nothing but commercial television I now fully appreciate what the BBC is and what it offers, and actually how much it is missed when not there!

Even just watching a programme with no ad breaks or a movie all the way through without breaking every 15 mins is fantastic! Actually the weirdest thing is watching something like Doctor Who, Antiques Roadshow or Top Gear with breaks through it, somehow it feels so wrong!!

Yes the BBC does some things wrong, but more often it gets them right, and I would hate to see the effect on the range of programming they can produce through the way they are funded if they had to go and get commercial funding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people confuse their own personal likes with public service.

I do not doubt that the above posters enjoy the BBCs output, but don't tell me this is quality. Or a public service.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I'll watch this, I'm not sure why they have to do a remake of a "classic" when there are so many other good books that haven't been televised, including the majority of John Wyndham's other works
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    Although I'll watch this, I'm not sure why they have to do a remake of a "classic" when there are so many other good books that haven't been televised, including the majority of John Wyndham's other works

When you remake something you have a built-in audience.

But you could as easily ask why they're adapting books at all when there are original scripts going unproduced.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you remake something you have a built-in audience.

But you could as easily ask why they're adapting books at all when there are original scripts going unproduced.

Very true - but it was more the remake of what is generally perceived as a "classic" which is already being perceived as inferior to the John Duttine one - so what's the benefit of doing this remake?