Options

Bruce Forsyth reveals Knighthood Disappointment To Piers Morgan

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HamsterJam wrote: »
    Yeah I understand, but I still feel that if I was to dedicate 85% of my life (not only just working life) to one profession then it would be really appreciated to have more than a carriage clock and a 'golden handshake' at the end of it.

I daresay we all might like that. Many people might have liked the opportunity to go on following the careers they loved as long as Bruce has but weren't given the chance to.

Come on. Bruce has worked in the entertainment business as long as he has because he wanted to. Good luck to him (even though personally I find him utterly insufferable and can't watch anything he's on). He's had the fame, the recognition, the money and the joy of doing something he loves. That should be reward enough; God knows, it's more than most people ever get.

Knighthoods, and all honours, should be for those who've done something more than their job. For voluntary work, for doing work for charity. Or if it is for their work, it should be for something above and beyond the call of duty, like medals for soldiers who've shown extraordinary courage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I daresay we all might like that. Many people might have liked the opportunity to go on following the careers they loved as long as Bruce has but weren't given the chance to.

Come on. Bruce has worked in the entertainment business as long as he has because he wanted to. Good luck to him (even though personally I find him utterly insufferable and can't watch anything he's on). He's had the fame, the recognition, the money and the joy of doing something he loves. That should be reward enough; God knows, it's more than most people ever get.

Knighthoods, and all honours, should be for those who've done something more than their job. For voluntary work, for doing work for charity. Or if it is for their work, it should be for something above and beyond the call of duty, like medals for soldiers who've shown extraordinary courage.

Fully agree.
    I said similar earlier.
    The rate things are going though, people will end up with knighthoods just for managing to get their face on TV.

"And for services to annoying TV ads, insurance companies and terrible songs.... The Go Compare guy..."
    *applause etc. etc*
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mick Jagger got his in 2003
  • Options
    guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he made a carrer by regurgitating the same rubbish over and over much like Morecambe and Wise. they got in at the start of the television boom and stuck around because people felt safe with them even though they were peddling the same garbage week after week.

his best gift to UK entertainment was quitting the Generation Game so Larry Grayson could bomb out and disappear.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its amazing how Elton John, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger all well know for taking drugs in their early days have been awarded knighthoods over Bruce.
    Then you have people like Sean Connery who has lived most of his life outside the UK and actors like Roger Moore and Patrick Stewart . Not to mention all the women awarded Dames for being actresses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Didnt Sir Michael Caine complain that he hadnt got one and as promptly given one

Give Brucie a title as long as he promises never to dance or sing again

Or tell any more lame jokes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Connery moaned for years about not getting one.
    I think they gave him a knighthood just to shut him up.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He still flies back regularly (probably on a privately chartered jet) to interfere with UK politics though.
    :yawn::rolleyes:
  • Options
    LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member

He doesn't like the UK and wants Scottish independence, so why moan about not getting a knighthood from a country and a system he dislikes so much?
  • Options
    CHEE KYCHEE KY Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Its amazing how Elton John, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger all well know for taking drugs in their early days have been awarded knighthoods over Bruce.
    Then you have people like Sean Connery who has lived most of his life outside the UK and actors like Roger Moore and Patrick Stewart . Not to mention all the women awarded Dames for being actresses.

Mick Jagger got his for being 'friends' with Princess Margaret, she apparently asked her sister to give him a knighthood as one of her dying wishes, so she did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't like the UK and wants Scottish independence, so why moan about not getting a knighthood from a country and a system he dislikes so much?

Yes indeed, they should have told him to effoff !:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    wallster wrote: »
    Not arrogant at all. Bruce deserves it. He is probably the most successful TV host in British television history and has been on the box for over half-a-century. No mean achievement.

Wasn't he paid to do it?
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member

Not to mention the rather questionable way he thinks women are allowed to be treated!
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    dgjbear wrote: »
    Wasn't he paid to do it?

Absolutely!

Oh if we could all demand such honours for our lines of work.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dgjbear wrote: »
    Wasn't he paid to do it?

So servicemen in the forces shouldn't receive honours because they are paid to do it?

If people excel at work they deserve recognition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    So servicemen in the forces shouldn't receive honours because they are paid to do it?

If people excel at work they deserve recognition.

Servicemen get honours if they act in a way that goes above and beyond the call of duty. That's different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should give it to Brucie at the earliest opportunity then just to shut him up a la Sean Connery.
    I mean who really gives an airborne act of lovemaking about it at the end of the day ? :)
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they just need to pack in the entire honours system - at least for celebrities or those who have 'tenuous links' to the entertainment industry. It has become outdated and populist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entertainers (and I use the word loosely in Bruce's case) get the recognition from the wages they earn. I wouldn't give any entertainer a Knighthood, well apart from Stephen Fry.

If Bruce was to get one he strikes me as the type who would absolutely INSIST on being called Sir Bruce.
  • Options
    Finchy44Finchy44 Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    It isn't the be-all and end-all.

Once Beckham picks up the inevitable knighthood (it'll happen :eek:) then the whole honours system will be well and truly dead in the water anyway.

I don't see any problem with Beckham receiving a knighthood, not only has he represented and captained his country at the highest level of the country's most watched sport, he as also done an immense amount of charity work and given loads back to training young kids in his soccer school. He is a great role model and I would be happy for him to be knighted tomorrow.
    Servicemen get honours if they act in a way that goes above and beyond the call of duty. That's different.

Every single member of our active armed forces that are putting there bodies and lives on the line for us should be honoured IMO
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I read once that 'Sir' Ben Kingsley insisted that his wife's friends addressed him as Sir Ben - that made me think that this knighthood nonsense should be abandoned for luvvies.

(Except Christopher Lee, who should have been made a Lord! :D)
  • Options
    JoannexxJoannexx Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with knighthoods, however if we have to have them they should go to people doing something to deserve recognition. Being an entertainer, and a well paid one is not above and beyond anything. There are so many unsung heroes around, why honour the likes of Bruce, Des O'connor or pop stars. It makes no sense to me. I would opt for the amazing medics in the red cross and medicin sans frontiers. Those people are first into disaster areas and work to save lives under extreme conditions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read once that 'Sir' Ben Kingsley insisted that his wife's friends addressed him as Sir Ben - that made me think that this knighthood nonsense should be abandoned for luvvies.

I've heard that about Ben Kingsley. Great actor, but needs to get his head out of his a**e.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob geldof only has an honorary knighthood just as bill gates and steven spielberg have...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that about Ben Kingsley. Great actor, but needs to get his head out of his a**e.

When Lucky Number Slevin came out he was billed as Sir Ben Kingsley on the credits for the movie.
    He got so many pelters for that he never ever repeated that particular arrogant stance.