Kindle

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
Forum Member
✭✭
I know this may be considered blasphemy on the Books board but, speaking as a long-standing technophobe, even I have to admit defeat: Amazon's Kindle really is as good as everyone says.
Read, have it read to you, play music, surf the net: it's terrifying.
Given the number off free and legal books available to download you don't even have to buy stuff from Amazon.
Books are looking seriously endangered.:eek:

Comments

• Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    I was adamant that I didn't want one, but I've finally given in. Santa's going to put one down my chimney this Xmas :D I can't wait.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a struggle but as my house won't hold any more books I came down in favour of it.
  • DracarysDracarys Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Same. I shall be treating myself this Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still in two minds as I'm not sure I'd enjoy reading from what's technically a computer screen instead of sitting with an actual book
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xx~KC~xx wrote: »
    I'm still in two minds as I'm not sure I'd enjoy reading from what's technically a computer screen instead of sitting with an actual book

While it's not like a real book, it's very close, nothing like a usual backlit LCD screen.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I despise it! I want to explode with rage (I don't :D) when I see Waterstones selling them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xx~KC~xx wrote: »

My thoughts exactly . . . until I used it. Not like a computer screen at all. After a minute or two it becomes second nature.
    It's just ridiculous how much it can do and how small a machine it is: it makes the iPad look like a stone tablet.
  • RolnikovRolnikov Posts: 967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iPad's a very different beast. Brilliant in its own way - I used it on the floor at a recent convention and found it essential - but yep nowhere near as good for straightforward reading.

We're a two Kindle household now. My wife is reading Under the Dome, while I'm reading Bauchelain and Korbal Broach vol. 1.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Psychosis wrote: »
    I despise it! I want to explode with rage (I don't :D) when I see Waterstones selling them.

You must have seen a Sony e reader - kinle's are only sold on amazon.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    Rolnikov wrote: »
    The iPad's a very different beast. Brilliant in its own way - I used it on the floor at a recent convention and found it essential - but yep nowhere near as good for straightforward reading.

We're a two Kindle household now. My wife is reading Under the Dome, while I'm reading Bauchelain and Korbal Broach vol. 1.

Personally I think the iPad is fine for reading. The Kindle looks great but I wanted a multi purpose device and the iPad fits my needs...

Happy reading folks! ;)
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ true indeed. I wasn't really in favour of them. But then I got pain in my wrists and fingers and nothing medically seems to sort them so holding heavy books is out. I bought one and haven't looked back. I love it, it's just like reading a book. No nasty back-lighting that causes eyestrain the ability to change font size and words per line is even better.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Personally I think the iPad is fine for reading. The Kindle looks great but I wanted a multi purpose device and the iPad fits my needs...

Don't forget, you can get the Kindle app for the iPad / iPhone etc (you get access to loooooads more books than with iBooks).

You can also download Kindle software for PC and Mac.

A lot of us have got used to spending hours reading forums etc on a computer screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spend 5 days a week 8+ hours before computer screen, but reading is a bit different IMO. It requires a constant concentration and I find that I can do that better with an eInk screen, or with a book. I used iPad for a while, I installed Kindle app on my Android phone, but I found neither as good as Kindle/ebook reader for a longer time. Not having various distractions in form of Internet browsing, computer games, etc is also a plus for me :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Linux Mint laptop also had no problems with recognising or moving files to Kindle, which was something I was a bit worried about. Life is good.:):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw an advert for the Kindle being only £109 and thought I'd come to the Books section to ask if it was worth it, but I'm beaten to it. :D

Are there a lot of places to get free books from to use on the Kindle? I might be more tempted if I knew of some places that offered a good selection of free offerings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popalong wrote: »
    I just saw an advert for the Kindle being only £109 and thought I'd come to the Books section to ask if it was worth it, but I'm beaten to it. :D

Are there a lot of places to get free books from to use on the Kindle? I might be more tempted if I knew of some places that offered a good selection of free offerings.

Amazon have some freebies but depending on your tastes, Project Gutenberg.org is a good place to start.
    The £109 Kindle is wi-fi only, the £150ish model has wi-fi and 3G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use Calibre to convert any free book to format supported by Kindle (mobi, prc). It's also good to compare amazon prices and prices in other shops. Those books can be converted too even if more work is required because of DRM protection. But I find that amazon has the best prices and best catalogue anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I am the opposite of the OP, I am a gadget fiend, however I love books, the texture, the smell, the comfort (love curling up on a chair with a book) so my problem is that I love the idea of E-book readers, I wanted the Franklins when they came out years ago, but I will still be buying the original book too, meaning it would cost me double to have the books in both formats.

My idea was that publishers could sell books that come with some kind of voucher or code or something that would allow you to download the e-book as well. Read the book at home but take the Kindle on holiday. Kind of like how some Blu-rays now come with a digital copy and DVD format too, You could still sell the E-book version for those who don't want the book.

Anyway I think I would be more on board with the Kindle if I could do something similar because I do like books they way the are now.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popalong wrote: »

Project Gutenberg is one such place. Lots of classics and similar (copyright's expired).

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I'm debating wether to move over to things like the Kindle, but if its good enough for Stephen Fry, then should be OK. Its not as if paper based books are suddenly going to die out, there will always be a want for the real thing. Myself I'll probably find I'll end up owning a paper based copy and an electronic copy of the same book if its a short story book atleast that way I can read it on the bus and not have to worry about damaging the paper version.

I think the only thing stopping me at the moment is I like to look over and see the books on myshelf and with a kindle or any other ebook reader you sort of lose that side to it.

Badcompany3004, I like your idea of a voucher to get a free kindle version wehen purchasing a paperback version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my OH a Kindle for his birthday and I love it so much I'm going to treat myself to one for Christmas (or before:D). It's not at all like reading from a screen and it's so unbelievably light to hold and carry around, much more so than an iPad.

In the past we've bought so many paperbacks, read them once then given them away as they take up so much space, there are certain books that I will still buy as hardbacks to keep though.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that it takes a few months for Kindles to arrive, so if I want one for Xmas should I order one now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that it takes a few months for Kindles to arrive, so if I want one for Xmas should I order one now?

It took about a week or so for mine. I wouldn't hang about though, by Christmas there'll be fighting in the streets.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Thanks Marv (Amy), I thought it was a good idea too :D - not many people do however.

Another question - might seem a bit out there but - does anyone read in the bath and if so would you consider taking the kindle in there with you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Currently takes 2 to 3 days to ship, but I would not wait long, it may get hectic again, Kindle makes a great present.

As for using it in a bath, I would not risk it, the book will dry, the Kindle will, too, but it may never work again.