Options

Want a new car, what one to get!?

PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
Forum Member
Okay so basically i want a new car but i'm extremely clueless when it comes to them. I'm 21 and I currently have a 07 plate Peugeot 207 in black but i'm quite frankly bored of this and want a new one.

Can any recommend me what car to get? I'm pretty easy, i just want a decent car that looks nice to! Price range around 3.5 - 5k and ideally i want a car newer than 08.

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a user on here called JOHNOR who might be selling her car pretty soon, you should get in touch...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1799667

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petrol/diesel (or a idea of your annual mileage if you want us to decide)?

Sporty, sensible, plain, flashy?

engine size?

theres a lot of factors to consider and each person is different im afraid......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    petrol/diesel (or a idea of your annual mileage if you want us to decide)?

Sporty, sensible, plain, flashy?

engine size?

theres a lot of factors to consider and each person is different im afraid......

Don't mind when it comes to petrol/diesel.

My current engine size is 1.4. Don't want like a plain sensible car, would prefer more of a sporty one, but not one of those chavvy sport cars.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a Golf. Can't go wrong with a Golf.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    58 plate suzuki swift?
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    58 plate suzuki swift?

Very good car and excellent choice.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Don't mind when it comes to petrol/diesel.

My current engine size is 1.4. Don't want like a plain sensible car, would prefer more of a sporty one, but not one of those chavvy sport cars.

If you don't want plain and sensible and want something a bit sporty I'd go for a Mini or maybe an Alfa Mito
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I just bought a 2008 Alfa Romeo 159 for 4.5k ( + part ex with my old car worth about £600) . It is lovely, a beautiful car with a lush interior that is quite unusual to see on the road.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I just bought a 2008 Alfa Romeo 159 for 4.5k ( + part ex with my old car worth about £600) . It is lovely, a beautiful car with a lush interior that is quite unusual to see on the road.

I think a 21-year-old might have some difficulty getting insurance for one of those!
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »

A common myth.
  • Options
    SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    If you don't want plain and sensible and want something a bit sporty I'd go for a Mini

If you can find one of those on a "newer than 08 plate" for £3,500-£5,000.00 can you buy me about a dozen please???
    ;)
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Nissan Juke
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    There's a user on here called JOHNOR who might be selling her car pretty soon, you should get in touch...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1799667

:D

:D i'll do you a swap, OP? Got a cracking little merc, 30,000 miles on clock?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    To be honest, at your age, unless funds are unlimited and by the fact you only want to spend up to 5k I take it they're not, insurance will be your most important factor. You can buy some very nice sporty cars for 5k but finding one newer than 08 my prove difficult, but insurance will be stupid on most cars.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Okay so basically i want a new car but i'm extremely clueless when it comes to them. I'm 21 and I currently have a 07 plate Peugeot 207 in black but i'm quite frankly bored of this and want a new one.

Can any recommend me what car to get? I'm pretty easy, i just want a decent car that looks nice to! Price range around 3.5 - 5k and ideally i want a car newer than 08.

If you want a small car, then go for a Toyota Yaris.

Decent car that might still have some warranty left as they have five year warranties, although you probably won't need it as Toyota's are so reliable.

Another one to consider is the Skoda Fabia.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want a small car, then go for a Toyota Yaris.

Decent car that might still have some warranty left as they have five year warranties, although you probably won't need it as Toyota's are so reliable.

Another one to consider is the Skoda Fabia.

I'm pretty sure those warranties only apply to the original owner, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure those warranties only apply to the original owner, but I could be wrong.

My fiat warranty is still in effect on my 11' plate 500 and I bought it from fiat dealership after they bought it back from a motability user who sadly could no longer drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your suggestions! Going to spend the afternoon looking at them and hopefully i find one i really like :)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, definitely not. And unlike other makes, you don't need re-register the Toyota warranty - it travels with the car. The registration number tells the garage that it's under warranty, and whether it's a 3 or 5 year one.

Though I think the 5 year one started summer 2010.

Ther Mk1 Yaris was a very good car, and there are ones around with about 200,000 on the clock.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what u want. The original yaris is one of the better old cars but the standard models r far from sporty and they are small with a tiny boot and the dashboard is not for everyone (to old to adust my ways now). The entry level 1.0 petrol IMO is gutless and hard work to drive.

mk1 Ford ka is old tech and average in many ways, but they appear to be quick(ish) and are more fun to drive. Think go cart for the road.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »

Absolutely no better or worse than most other cars on the market.

At 3k a Golf is the last car I'd buy. Residuals far too strong for the quality of the vehicle.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That only applies to Vauxhall's lifetime warranty (and, I believe, to Renault's 4-year package).

The other manufacturers who offer long warranties (Hyundai, Kia, Chevrolet, Fiat, Toyota, Subaru and Chrysler) all transfer to subsequent owners.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All vw cars hold their value more than a similar car from say vauxhall. Same also true of bmw, merc, Audi, Volvo, & others. So on a budget to have one of these means usually having an older model. Which means more wear & tear, more miles on it etc.

Its an age old problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    All vw cars hold their value more than a similar car from say vauxhall. Same also true of bmw, merc, Audi, Volvo, & others. So on a budget to have one of these means usually having an older model. Which means more wear & tear, more miles on it etc.

Its an age old problem.

Indeed.

The problem being that VW cars don't last any longer than a typical Vauxhall or Ford, unlike most of the others in this category.

The sweet spot IMO lies with some of the Japanese companies whose cars don't command much of a premium, but nonetheless tend to last well. I'm thinking mainly Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi here.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    Depends on what u want. The original yaris is one of the better old cars but the standard models r far from sporty and they are small with a tiny boot and the dashboard is not for everyone (to old to adust my ways now). The entry level 1.0 petrol IMO is gutless and hard work to drive.

mk1 Ford ka is old tech and average in many ways, but they appear to be quick(ish) and are more fun to drive. Think go cart for the road.
    If the OP is bored of the Peugeot he'll hate the 1.0 Yaris! My ex had one, I used to get bored sitting in the passenger seat. The digital speedometer made it even more apparent how slow you were going.