Haggling when due an upgrade.

JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
Forum Member
✭✭
Basically keen to hear what people have been able to blag when they are due an upgrade? Have any of you guys managed to negotiate a really good tariff and get a new phone for free or very little?

My upgrade is due next month and my phone provider have told me that I am “A1” customer and that I will be given the best deal possible apparently due to the fact that I have never had any problems with my phone provider getting my money every month! (I've been with them for 15 yrs nearly)

At the moment I am on unlimited calls, texts and data for £30.75 on a 2 year contract.

I am keen to reduce this and get a phone for free as well an other freebies I can grab.

I am tempted to visit Carphone Warehouse and pick up a contract where you get a free gift – HDTV, PS3, tablet/laptop etc but have reservations.

Comments

• thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, which network are you with?
    At the moment I am on unlimited calls, texts and data for £30.75 on a 2 year contract.

What phone did you get with that contract?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the only thing you can do is do your research give them the details of a better offer and see if they can match it.

there's no loyalty bonus or any of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your network will offer you a much better deal if you wait until you're in a position to give your notice to end the contract (i.e. 30 days before the end of the contract). Right now you're not in a position to leave them, so it's not in their interests to give you the best deal they can.
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    Your network will offer you a much better deal if you wait until you're in a position to give your notice to end the contract (i.e. 30 days before the end of the contract). Right now you're not in a position to leave them, so it's not in their interests to give you the best deal they can.

You think? I tried this with Orange when my contract was up they did damn all so off I went to Vodafone, tried it with Vodafone just last month, they also did damn all so off I went to O2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave81uk wrote: »
    You think? I tried this with Orange when my contract was up they did damn all so off I went to Vodafone, tried it with Vodafone just last month, they also did damn all so off I went to O2.

Yes. Certainly in the past with Three they've given me much better offers when I've been in a position to leave than they did at upgrade time.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, which network are you with?

What phone did you get with that contract?

T Mobile & LG Optimus Black

EDIT: I should note that I received this tarif after I threatened to leave 2 years ago.
    Forum Member

You can't just say i want a better contract so give me one please.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See if your provider was good enough you wouldn't even be thinking of things like this.

For me example, I NEED my all you can eat data on Three so I'd never leave unless another provider offers the same for less(and has as good coverage I get with Three)
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    See if your provider was good enough you wouldn't even be thinking of things like this.

For me example, I NEED my all you can eat data on Three so I'd never leave unless another provider offers the same for less(and has as good coverage I get with Three)

that is nothing to do with how good you provider is.
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    You can't just say i want a better contract so give me one please.

I didn't. I phoned to say I was leaving. The enquired why, I told them x provider was cheaper, they said OK, didn't even make an effort to get me to stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    that is nothing to do with how good you provider is.

Yes it is, everyone wants a better deal including me, but Three is the only network that can provide me with true unlimited Internet. So therefore it is to do with how good the provider is lol
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My contract with Three is up in November, do Three normally call their customers trying to get them in to new contracts? When I first joined them in November 2011, they offered me a second contract I could "gift" to someone as a christmas present.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    My contract with Three is up in November, do Three normally call their customers trying to get them in to new contracts? When I first joined them in November 2011, they offered me a second contract I could "gift" to someone as a christmas present.

I've never waited for them to contact me, I've always known the earliest date I could get an upgrade so ring them and get the upgrade. Maybe not the best way of doing it as your saying "give me the new phone and sign me up for another xx months" but I've always wanted to stay with Three so it didn't bother me.

They do from time to time randomly ring me(or my misses) to say there's a special offer of a second contract or a contract for friends and family. That's nothing to do with upgrade time though, that was just at random points in the year as I already said
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I've never waited for them to contact me, I've always known the earliest date I could get an upgrade so ring them and get the upgrade. Maybe not the best way of doing it as your saying "give me the new phone and sign me up for another xx months" but I've always wanted to stay with Three so it didn't bother me.

They do from time to time randomly ring me(or my misses) to say there's a special offer of a second contract or a contract for friends and family. That's nothing to do with upgrade time though, that was just at random points in the year as I already said

Thanks.

As i bought my Nexus 4 just last year I am in no rush to get a new phone from them just yet. I won't be able to get 4g for a while where I use my phone the most. I am still not convinced by the speed benefits judging by some of the results I have seen by the likes of EE,
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I didn't. I phoned to say I was leaving. The enquired why, I told them x provider was cheaper, they said OK, didn't even make an effort to get me to stay.

Dat retentions department in action!