Athletics 2014

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will get the selector's discretion, surely? Can't see who else it would go to who doesn't already have the qualifying standard.

It's not the selectors, it's the IAAF standards she hasn't met.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the selectors, it's the IAAF standards she hasn't met.

The IAAF organisers/selectors (whatever they're called) can choose one wildcard.

Read this article if you're not sure what I meant:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/26217284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full GB team confirmed for Indoors:
    GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND TEAM:

MEN

60m:
    Dwain Chambers (Rana Reider), Richard Kilty (Reider)

400m:
    Richard Buck (Nick Dakin), Nigel Levine (Linford Christie)

800m:
    Mukhtar Mohammed (Jon Bigg), Andrew Osagie (Craig Winrow)

1500m:
    Lee Emanuel (Joe Franklin), Chris O Hare (Steve Gulley)

3000m:
    Andy Vernon (Nick Bideau), Jonathan Mellor (Steve Vernon)

60m hurdles:
    Andrew Pozzi (Malcolm Arnold), William Sharman (Jerzy Maciukewicz)

4x400m:
    Daniel Awde (Chris Zah) Michael Bingham (George Williams), Jamie Bowie (Piotr Haczek), Buck, Luke Lennon-Ford (Christie), Levine, Conrad Williams (Christie)

High Jump:
    Robbie Grabarz (Fayyaz Ahmed), Tom Parsons (Aston Moore)

Pole Vault:
    Luke Cutts (Trevor Fox)

WOMEN

60m:
    Sophie Papps (Dan Cossins), Asha Philip (Christine Bowmaker)

400m:
    Margaret Adeoye (Christie), Shana Cox (Williams)

800m:
    Laura Muir (Andy Young)

1500m:
    Jemma Simpson (Mark Rowland)

3000m:
    Eilish McColgan (Liz Nuttall)

4x400m:
    Adeoye, Eilidh Child (Arnold), Cox, Christine Ohuruogu (Lloyd Cowan), Victoria Ohuruogu (Cowan), Laura Wake (Dakin)

60m hurdles:
    Tiffany Porter (Reider)

Pole Vault:
    Holly Bleasdale (Scott Simpson)

Long Jump: Katarina Johnson-Thompson (Mike Holmes),Shara Proctor (Reider)
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james dasaolu's tweet makes it sound as though he's missing the indoors through choice when really his xray shows he has a minimal tear on his hamstring. why does this keep happening to him?

also, no vicaut because he had no intention of being there. he had a shot at gold i think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting story about why Kate Avery wasn't picked...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/26247770

Seems as though she wasn't chosen because she didn't attend the Trials in Sheffield (that didn't stop them from choosing Porter, Proctor and McColgan though, did it?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yohan blake tearing it up at the gibson relays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V3r6CLAAas bring on the outdoor season! although i can see him and usain avoiding each other as it's not a championship year...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Campbell-Brown will be defending her women's 60 meter title and will in fact be hunting a record third straight title after wins in 2010, and 2012.

Campbell-Brown has not competed since June 1 last year.She is joined in the 12 member women's squad by world outdoor 100 and 200m champion Shelly Ann Fraser- Pryce who will also contest the 60 meters.

Kaliese Spencer, Kimberly Williams, Stephenie Ann McPherson,Patricia Hall,Natoya Goule Anneisha Mclaughlin, Monique Morgan, Indira Spence, Sophie Smellie and Verone Chambers complete the women's team.

Defending men's 60m silver medalist Nesta Carter heads the 11 member men's team which is completed by Edino Steele, Kimmari Roach, Akheem Gauntlett, Andrew Riley, Damar Forbes, O’dayne Richards, Jermaine Brown, Allodin Fothergill, Dane Hyatt and Errol Nolan.

source: RJV news

so we will be seeing VCB back on the track in just over a week. thoughts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny Meadows ran 2:01 in Prague the other day, shame she wasn't selected for the team as she's just coming into form.

Dwain Chambers ran 6.52 SB and Tiffany Porter won her race also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long till Sopot now! Gonna take the friday off to watch the first day of action.

Just want to see the startlists now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eilish McColgan has withdrawn from the 3000m due to 'fitness problems'.

Still think they should've selected Kate Avery. It's a shame not to fill all the spaces that could be filled with A standard-athletes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long till Sopot now! Gonna take the friday off to watch the first day of action.

Good idea!

I can't believe this thread is so inactive when there has been quite a bit going on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Good idea!

I can't believe this thread is so inactive when there has been quite a bit going on...

Been caught up with the Winter Olympics, getting back into the swing now.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Provisional entry list link

http://www.iaaf.org/news/iaaf-news/world-indoor-championships-2014-entry-lists

I also see Mary Cain has pulled out with a minor injury.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Good idea!

Yeah, this year will be good, with the European Team Championships, World Indoors, Diamond League meets, British Championships, European Championships etc.

Mainly looking forward to this weekend though, think Holly Bleasdale, Luke Cutts (especially since Lavillenie is out with injury), Asha Philip, Dwain Chambers, Tiffany Porter, Laura Muir and the relay squads have a good chance at finishing within the medals positions.

Just wish every spot would be filled where there are people with A standards who haven't been picked (such a shame Jenny Meadows came into form with the A standard the day AFTER the deadline for team submissions were due).

Startlists are due to be released thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC3 is supposedly being axed... what will this mean for Diamond League coverage? I'm guessing it'll just be red button + online from now on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC3 is supposedly being axed... what will this mean for Diamond League coverage? I'm guessing it'll just be red button + online from now on.

Actually, I would prefer it if they just took the straight World feed with Tim Hutchings etc and no blethering from Edwards and Jackson.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I would prefer it if they just took the straight World feed with Tim Hutchings etc and no blethering from Edwards and Jackson.

Not sure it's good for the sport to be hidden away online or the Red Button though.

I see Mo is competing at the Glasgow Grand Prix - hopefully that's a positive sign that he'll be there for the main event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/26442805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh gosh. athletics was the last thing on my mind when this was announced. i do love the ol' montage here and there tho, i must admit. especially when watching athletics with family. they really do try to comply with my love and need for athletics in the living room :blush:, but with raw footage i can't help but think they'll be bored and shun me to a 19 inch screen. pain.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Not sure it's good for the sport to be hidden away online or the Red Button though.

I see Mo is competing at the Glasgow Grand Prix - hopefully that's a positive sign that he'll be there for the main event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/26442805

Totally agree. Hiding the Diamond League meetings away on the red button is of no use to those of us that record the athletics. It's not always possible to watch it as it happens.

A real shame if this does happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the timetable for Sopot

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-indoor-championships/iaaf-world-indoor-championships-2014-4952/timetable/byday

Full startlists and draws not available until early this evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Startlists have now been released :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Startlists have now been realised :D

Very high standard in the pentathlon, all the big names are there except our ones. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So excited for tomorrow :D Don't think Britain will do very well in the first race of the day which is the women's 400m :/ Shana Cox and Margaret Adeoye have been drawn in tough heats.