Sensing spirits all the time!

marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm a firm believer in the afterlife and everything spooky. I have had a lot of incidents over the past few weeks, things moving on their own, a cobweb type feeling on my face, whoohsing past my ears and smells of cigarette and pipe smoke that have no source! Anyone else had this experience? I would love to hear your stories :)

Comments

• jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I lived in a very old house, and I used to experience all of those. I was convinced I had ghosts visiting me. I'd light candles, and suddenly I'd feel a chill down my back, and the candles would go out.

Next door was an even older public house, known as "the hauntings", because of local legends. On summer nights everyone must have felt a chill in the pub, because they preferred to sit in the garden, next to my house, drinking and smoking.

Alas, it seems that spirits are affected by modern plastics, since as soon as I had double glazing installed, they all refused to visit. :cry:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP you might need to see your GP, who may refer you to either a Psyche, or possibly for something along the lines of a brain scan/MRI etc.

Seriously, not only is this spirit stuff crackpot nonsense, but also strange smells can be a sign of brain damage or irregularities, perhaps high levels of dopamine which is seen in Schizophrenia etc. Facial skin sensations may be nerve problems, or neuropathy, which may or may not also be linked to brain problems.
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, call Ghostbusters.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MegaWhat? wrote: »
    OP you might need to see your GP, who may refer you to either a Psyche, or possibly for something along the lines of a brain scan/MRI etc.

Seriously, not only is this spirit stuff crackpot nonsense, but also strange smells can be a sign of brain damage or irregularities, perhaps high levels of dopamine which is seen in Schizophrenia etc. Facial skin sensations may be nerve problems, or neuropathy, which may or may not also be linked to brain problems.

^^This.

Mundane it may be, compared to contact from the netherworlds - but being as there are possible rational explanations and those explanations could involve health problems, I'd suggest you err on the side of caution and get yourself checked out, just in case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

:eek: that made me go cold reading that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can totally relate, I sense spirits all the time.

Makes going to supermarkets and Off-licenses a real bitch, people tell me i'm like a blood hound :D
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kelly30 wrote: »
    :eek: that made me go cold reading that

I've had a few lucid dreams in my time. You're convinced you are awake and its bloody horrible.

One, I remember, I was in my bedroom and I'd just woken up in the morning. It was kinda dark, but I could see a bulge in my curtains, as if something was behind them. Obviously, I thought it was a trick of the light, so i got up walked to the curtain and proceeded to poke the bulge, expecting nothing to be there. Instead, I felt an obvious mass and it was clearly a person hiding behind there. Now not only did I know there was a person hiding in my bedroom, but they knew I knew they were there. I tried to cscream out to alert someone, but no sound came out my mouth - and I tried really, REALLY hard to make a noise.

The effort of trying to scream woke me up for real, as I made a noise not dissimilar to a seal! Yes, it was all a dream, but it seems SO real whilst it was happening.

But that's not the worst. Try having a waking dream. That's actually being concious, but still dreaming. I once woke up and saw someone standing at the end of my bed. Again, assuming it was a trick of the light in a dim room, I shone my torch down there, expecting it to disappear. Instead, I saw a clear face. I sat in bed, terrified as they walked round to me, took my hand and started whispering into it. Freaked out, I took a swing at them and there was nothing there - they completely vanished.

I got straight up after thatm went to the toilet, went downstairs, had a drink and didn't go back to bed for half an hour. I was definitely awake the whole time. It was a dream, but I had it whilst awake. Horrible experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was 8, I was staying in a cottage in Llanbedr, Gwynedd, called Gelliwaen. I was there with my parents and some family friends, James (8 at the time), Ellie (6 then) and their parents.

One night, I woke up and went to get a drink, as you do. I was in the kitchen drinking it when I thought I heard someone call my name... but there was noone there. I thought it was James messing around, so I went to his room, but he was obviously fast asleep.

I went back, washed the glass up, put it away... then felt a tap on my shoulder. I spun round... noone there. I freaked out and went and hid under the covers all night.

Next morning, I told my mum about it, and she just said, "Oh, yeah, that'll be the ghost!" Turned out the house was haunted by the previous owner, who had been killed in a mining accident.

You get used to sensing spirits, mind you. I've done it most of my life. The worst places are places like castles - but Sachsenhausen and Terezin concentration camps were horrible.

Don't worry about it! :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny how some have the solid certainty that ghosts etc are a load of bumkum, yet when you ask them who created the universe and why we exist they have no answers.

Science does explain away lots of experiences we refer to as spooky.
    electromagnectic fields
    our brain misinterpreting things
    sleep disorders - bad dreams
    etc etc etc the list goes on

Alas I have seen a whole body image of a ghost and cant write it off no matter how I looked at it... was it just some memory held by the building of the past, or a portal into the past that I peek into or indeed prrof that we survive after death in some way ... ????? Ive no idea .All i can say is up untill 2000 scientists where warning of a global cooling of the earth now suddenly its global warming they fear .. they dont exactly have a good track record on things historicaly, personaly Im still waiting for them to sort out this cold fusson thing,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how some have the solid certainty that ghosts etc are a load of bumkum, yet when you ask them who created the universe and why we exist they have no answers.

Errmm, actually there is an answer, one that most people (outside of creationists anyway) agree on - the big bang

As for how we are here, coincidence and evolution. The conditions on the planet created by said big bang happened to slowly make something on the planet turn into something else, which turned into something else and so on and so forth until something turned into us. Highly simplified I know but thats pretty much the gist of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, lets take the big bang theory, There are huge holes in our knowlegde about dark matter and black holes etc .. which give a precident that science does not know everything .. the theory also says that eventualy that after it all stops expanding that it will retract back to the matter that caused the big bang in the first place .. what was that matter and where did it come from ?

All im saying is, that it annoys me when people who dont know the answers to such huge questions have the arrogance to belittle those that just report something that happened to them that they cant explain within a scientific scope.

As a post note, if any aliens are reading this please first visit Patric Moore as im sick of the chap saying no other life exisits anywhere else but here. If that was the case where did the Clangers come from
  • winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    I don't know about that. :D However, consider the following:

"The end of all our exploration will be to arrive at the beginning and know the place for the first time." (TS Eliot)

That covers a lot, as I'm sure The Clangers would agree. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Years ago I lived in a very old house, and I used to experience all of those. I was convinced I had ghosts visiting me. I'd light candles, and suddenly I'd feel a chill down my back, and the candles would go out.

Next door was an even older public house, known as "the hauntings", because of local legends. On summer nights everyone must have felt a chill in the pub, because they preferred to sit in the garden, next to my house, drinking and smoking.

Alas, it seems that spirits are affected by modern plastics, since as soon as I had double glazing installed, they all refused to visit. :cry:

Sorry to laugh smith99 but I thought you were talking about the "plastic" cups pubs give drinkers who want to sit outside. :D
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this in advice? Plus there is already a similar thread that has been running for a while in GD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I've had a few lucid dreams in my time. You're convinced you are awake and its bloody horrible.

One, I remember, I was in my bedroom and I'd just woken up in the morning. It was kinda dark, but I could see a bulge in my curtains, as if something was behind them. Obviously, I thought it was a trick of the light, so i got up walked to the curtain and proceeded to poke the bulge, expecting nothing to be there. Instead, I felt an obvious mass and it was clearly a person hiding behind there. Now not only did I know there was a person hiding in my bedroom, but they knew I knew they were there. I tried to cscream out to alert someone, but no sound came out my mouth - and I tried really, REALLY hard to make a noise.

The effort of trying to scream woke me up for real, as I made a noise not dissimilar to a seal! Yes, it was all a dream, but it seems SO real whilst it was happening.

But that's not the worst. Try having a waking dream. That's actually being concious, but still dreaming. I once woke up and saw someone standing at the end of my bed. Again, assuming it was a trick of the light in a dim room, I shone my torch down there, expecting it to disappear. Instead, I saw a clear face. I sat in bed, terrified as they walked round to me, took my hand and started whispering into it. Freaked out, I took a swing at them and there was nothing there - they completely vanished.

I got straight up after thatm went to the toilet, went downstairs, had a drink and didn't go back to bed for half an hour. I was definitely awake the whole time. It was a dream, but I had it whilst awake. Horrible experience.

Absolutely relate to this type of experience. Had some real shockers, and wake up basically with a dry, silent scream, where part of the nightmare is the fact that my scream is silent and therefore an impotent 'alert'

Horrible stuff!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago, I was in my friend's kitchen, and there were a whole load of people sat around the table. I had just arrived, and I was just stood by the door when I felt something tap my shoulder for real, I KNOW I wasn't imagining it. I looked over my shoulder as I thought there was someone behind me but there was no one there and no object or anything which could have done it. At the time, I didn't even think about it but later I was like....what actually was that!? Hahaa, I honestly think their house is haunted though as they have had other things happen like glasses smashed and stuff which no one claims to have done, I don't know....
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't have to believe in this kind of stuff, but trying to make out that the OP is suffering from a mental illness or serious brain problems is downright offensive and irresponsible.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    You don't have to believe in this kind of stuff, but trying to make out that the OP is suffering from a mental illness or serious brain problems is downright offensive and irresponsible.

tbh its a possibility feeling sensations on your skin and hearing and smelling things could be sign of an illness
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's totally amasing how some people still belive in ghots, spirits, god, jesus etc etc when in over 50,000 years of human beings now on has ever come up with any hard evidence.

go and see a doctor or psychologist love.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All im saying is, that it annoys me when people who dont know the answers to such huge questions have the arrogance to belittle those that just report something that happened to them that they cant explain within a scientific scope.

I don't subscribe to the 'there are things we don't know, thus, this must be paranormal' argument.

If someone came along here and reported hearing voices non stop, all day, and believes it to be a ghost trying to communicate with them.. what's the best advice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's one thing to suggest that because we can't perform an MRI scan, or a CAT scan, or a PET scan, or a CT scan, or one of the other brain/neuro scans on galaxies or the universe as whole that equates to a blank knowledge in the same way that it does to a person on terra firma.

It's scientifically understood that weird senses of smell that aren't there can be a sign of brain damage, a cancerous or benign brain tumour or other abnormalities, perhaps in levels of neurotransmitters (ie dopamine).

Face and other skin sensations and feelings; tingling, cobwebs, heat, cold, pricking etc can be a sign of neuropathy, diabetic neuropathy, nerve pressure/damage somewhere, spinal cord pressure, brain neuro problems etc.

For you to suggest that there isn't a problem is totally and utterly irresponsible, even if you are offended.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It's scientifically understood that weird senses of smell that aren't there can be a sign of brain damage, a cancerous or benign brain tumour or other abnormalities, perhaps in levels of neurotransmitters (ie dopamine).

Face and other skin sensations and feelings; tingling, cobwebs, heat, cold, pricking etc can be a sign of neuropathy, diabetic neuropathy, nerve pressure/damage somewhere, spinal cord pressure, brain neuro problems etc.

For you to suggest that there isn't a problem is totally and utterly irresponsible, even if you are offended.

And, equally, a lack of empathy can often be indicitive of sociopathic tendencies.

Perhaps you should get yourself checked out in case you're in danger of becoming a serial killer?

See how offensive that kind of thing can sound?

Gotta say, I find that the vast majority of stuff about the paranormal is utter bollocks but, given that I was in a vehicle with a bunch of other people and we ALL saw a proper, full-on "ghost" I can't dismiss the whole idea.

Trouble is that I think most believers are way too eager to accept anything and most skeptics are way too stubborn to concede anything so it's kinda hard to look at things objectively.

Believers will always want to tell you that it WAS a ghost and skeptics will always want to tell you that you're just nuts or that you have a brain tumour.

So, what if the OP DOES get a brain-scan and it turns out s/he doesn't have a tumour?
    Does that mean that ghosts DO exist and s/he IS in contact with the "other side"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    And, equally, a lack of empathy can often be indicitive of sociopathic tendencies.

Perhaps you should get yourself checked out in case you're in danger of becoming a serial killer?

See how offensive that kind of thing can sound?

A lack of empathy towards what, an illness or the paranormal? :confused:

So, what if the OP DOES get a brain-scan and it turns out s/he doesn't have a tumour?
    Does that mean that ghosts DO exist and s/he IS in contact with the "other side"?

So what if she doesn't and there is something wrong, not specifically a tumor but something else? They may do a scan and not find a tumor, but something else. They may find something else wrong- ie nose throat & ear problems instead of it being specifically being part of the brain itself. Maybe they won't find anything at all. As always they won't persist for months and months to pinpoint it if it doesn't cause distress to the patient. Therefore the exact cause may never be known and thus it will obviously be ghouls, demons and spirits.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    A lack of empathy towards what, an illness or the paranormal? :confused:

A lack of empathy toward other people. Duh.