Woman wants more benefits to lose weight...

Comments

• lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take always are way more expensive than buying ingredients to make at least two meals to eat on different days.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    A soul?

I misread that, Hogz! :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    Maybe its time we had 'Personal Shoppers' in supermarkets to show people like this how to eat healthily and buy the right food for their budget!

I'm not sure supermarkets would risk losing customers that bought mostly ready meals and junk food. Supermarkets won't care about people's health, but how much money they're making.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm not sure supermarkets would risk losing customers that bought mostly ready meals and junk food. Supermarkets won't care about people's health, but how much money they're making.

So true, its not the supermarket job to protect peoples health in a free market they are their to max profits for the company and sharholders
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    ETA: Besides which she wont be entitled forever. I think you only get Income Support up until the youngest child is about 7?

Only if you have a child under 5 now, and they can haul you in for work-focussed interviews once your child is 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    nope 5 they lowered it and they also make you undergo interviews every 6 months about how you could be going to work, which seems a bit pointless considering they cant stop your benefit or actually do anything to you until the kid is 5 and in full time education. Just end up paying them to travel to the interview and pay for a babysitter for the time wasted

You can be sanctioned on Income Support if you miss a work focussed interview. They don't stop it entirely, but reduce it by 25% or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James_May wrote: »
    Actually, it isn't below the national average. To a normal working person, that's over £1600 pcm. You'd have to work 250 hours per month or around 60 hours per week on min wage to EARN the same.

And how would a single parent manage to do that? Send her kids to boarding school?

A single parent of 2 kids on minimum wage is likely to be on quite a bit in benefits as well, especially if they live in the south-east where rents are high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I dont recall learning much about nutrition in depth. They covered a bit about it but not enough that would make you want to cook healthily.

Cookery wasn't taught at my snooty, academic grammar school and at 17 the only thing I could cook was scrambled eggs. I went on holiday with 4 friends, and the mother of one of them had given him a leg of lamb to bring for our Sunday lunch. On the Saturday we arrived, we had to go to the library in town to find out wtf to do with it!

After realising how easy cooking is, I never looked back and we eat "real" food most of the time.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced that a regular 'slimming class' is right for a woman in this situation - and I admit her exact situation hasn't been accurately represented by the article.

I think what she needs is a string of basic cooking classes, where groups of people are taught how to make simple, cheap and healthy meals. They don't specifically have to be meals for dieters - just regular meals that form part of a normal balanced diet.

The other issue for long-term non-cooks is they don't have the basic equipment or store cupboard ingredients, so making a meal as a one off seems disproportionately expensive. I'd happily see women in her circumstances given some kit to start them off. Perhaps for each class they attend they can be sent home with the relevant jars of herbs and spices etc.

I know some people object to spending extra money, but it will save us all money in the long-run, and it wouldn't be straight hand-outs. The people would have to turn up and give it all a good go and show willing.

None of that will stop people from fancying a take-away, but it would give people a few more options, and they could learn a bit about over-all nutrition, budgeting, how to buy and cook in bulk etc. There could be a mixture of more adventurous meals, but also a reminder that something as quick and easy (and cheap) as beans on toast is very nutritious. Also, don't be too proud to show people a few 'cheats', especially in the first few classes.
  • quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw this story on Fb and could not believe the comments this woman made. I cant go swimming because I could not afford pizza WTF. You don't need the gym, go for a walk in the fresh air, its free. bring the kids, it will do them good
    Aldi and Lidl sell good quality and organic fruit and veg very cheaply.You can buy a whole chicken very cheaply, even organic.Learn to cook, don't parents teach their kids life skills any more, all my kids can cook and shop wisely. Its a parents job to teach these things not the government.
    What a bad example this woman is to her kids with stupid shopping habits and appalling eating habits.Her cupboard is full of crap, no real food in sight.
    Her problem is an addiction to junk food and bone idleness and thats it.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the **** is this thread going on for 8 pages, the woman doesn't really want more benefits (and she's got no chance of getting them under any government) she wants to be front page of the Star, sun and all these other rags, who are probably paying her more than she'll get in benefits for years, just to feed the benefit-hating frenzy of certain morons.

She's hoping to be the new Celeb BB person, and all your fury is giving her all she wants and the vile right-wing papers fury against genuine benefit claimants, what they want.

Reactionary nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I know some people object to spending extra money, but it will save us all money in the long-run, and it wouldn't be straight hand-outs. The people would have to turn up and give it all a good go and show willing.

None of that will stop people from fancying a take-away, but it would give people a few more options, and they could learn a bit about over-all nutrition, budgeting, how to buy and cook in bulk etc. There could be a mixture of more adventurous meals, but also a reminder that something as quick and easy (and cheap) as beans on toast is very nutritious. Also, don't be too proud to show people a few 'cheats', especially in the first few classes.

Why does she need extra money to help her lose weight though? She can easily lose the weight gradually if she walks for so long whenever she gets the chance to. If she's not working, walk for so long every day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the **** is this thread going on for 8 pages, the woman doesn't really want more benefits (and she's got no chance of getting them under any government) she wants to be front page of the Star, sun and all these other rags, who are probably paying her more than she'll get in benefits for years, just to feed the benefit-hating frenzy of certain morons.

She's hoping to be the new Celeb BB person, and all your fury is giving her all she wants and the vile right-wing papers fury against genuine benefit claimants, what they want.

Reactionary nonsense.

Well it will be a complete joke if she makes it on there. She's not even a flaming celebrity.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reactionary nonsense.

Pretty much. I don't know why people get so angry really. I don't give a monkey's what other people eat or how fat they are or who pays for it. I've got enough on my own plate :p
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it will be a complete joke if she makes it on there. She's not even a flaming celebrity.

Yes well I would say that would be the same of the other benefit person, but I didn't watch this years CBB, so can't remember her name, but I'm sure many others will wish to go down that route by exaggerating their benefits.

Anyone who is on benefits at the moment will know it's a bloody arduous trek for any money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes well I would say that would be the same of the other benefit person, but I didn't watch this years CBB, so can't remember her name, but I'm sure many others will wish to go down that route by exaggerating their benefits.

Anyone who is on benefits at the moment will know it's a bloody arduous trek for any money.

Dee did appear in a TV series though. I wouldn't class her as a true celebrity, but at least she's been in a TV series. This lass has only appeared in tabloid articles and been on a chat show.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does she need extra money to help her lose weight though? She can easily lose the weight gradually if she walks for so long whenever she gets the chance to. If she's not working, walk for so long every day.

I didn't say it was to help her specifically to lose weight. I was referring to the cooking classes that I'd just been talking about in the bit of my post that you deleted. I won't re-post it. If you are genuinely interested, you can go back and read. If you want to be outraged, then don't bother.

The whole theory that it's more expensive to cook healthily is based on a lot of ignorance. I say address that ignorance in a practical way. No-one is going to get rich out of it, but the costs of running some classes is negligible compared with the costs to the NHS. As I said, some people object to spending any money, but IMO, that's short-sighted.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I'm a divorced working mum of two and on a lot less than 20K a year. I pay full rent and money is tight. Really tight. No holidays, clothes bought only when required, no nights out and limited days out for the kids.

I agree fresh, good quality produce can be expensive but you just have to get a bit clever in your buying, learn to cook in bulk and freeze in portions. As for exercise? No need for expensive gym memberships. Use the council facilities, get a few good DVDs, follow online programmes or just get out and walk.
  • DiggingHeavsDiggingHeavs Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I would be supportive of some form of community cooking and nutrition classes being provided either free or very cheap, the might be some local ones available for all I know. Send in Jamie Oliver "Parent's Healthy Dinners?" Since the sausage through the playground fence cliché was so famous. I joke, sort of. I wonder if those that need it the most would go though, or whether they would just prefer expensive, processed junk.

It's probably because I was lucky enough that the summer before I went to Uni my mum forced me to learn how to cook simple meals but I get really annoyed when people in their 30s claim they've never boiled an egg. If you can pour water over instant noodles you can microwave frozen or bulk packet veg to go with them, even if you don't have pots and pans. But they aren't even always expensive these days, supermarkets do value ranges of those too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I didn't say it was to help her specifically to lose weight. I was referring to the cooking classes that I'd just been talking about in the bit of my post that you deleted. I won't re-post it. If you are genuinely interested, you can go back and read. If you want to be outraged, then don't bother.

The whole theory that it's more expensive to cook healthily is based on a lot of ignorance. I say address that ignorance in a practical way. No-one is going to get rich out of it, but the costs of running some classes is negligible compared with the costs to the NHS. As I said, some people object to spending any money, but IMO, that's short-sighted.

I'm not outraged. :D
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Katie Hopkins was on her side, that's reason enough to be suspicious of the intentions right from the get-go. The woman's a professional troll, and it seems she's found someone to exploit, probably because people are losing interest in what comes out of her gob. Trolling by proxy? :D

Regarding healthy vs junk food and costs, it's not any more expensive to eat one way or the other, but it is EASY to live off of ready meals and non-nutritious food. My daughter is 13 and she will definitely be shown over the next few years how to prepare healthy meals from scratch as that's how we eat most of the time. We get a take-away about once a month and have the odd frozen pizza or lasagna, but most nights we make our meals from scratch with veg on the side or in the food itself. We have a fruit bowl in the kitchen and nuts in the cupboard. Crisps are a sometimes item in our house as are fizzy drinks, they're certainly not a staple item. I definitely didn't grow up in a household where we were given healthy food, and it took me many years to get to where I am now, mostly learning stuff on my own about cooking and healthy food. I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm doing it slowly because that's what will work for me as a long-term solution. If people want to lose weight, they should be offered support if they need it, but I think this lady knows deep down that she has to want to do it for it to happen, no amount of vouchers is going to do it for her.

I'd be surprised at anyone who genuinely thinks that eating healthy is more expensive than eating ready meals. Easier yes, Pricier no.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a glimpse into the future if labour win the next GE. Benefits are way, way too generous.

For some, but for others it is not.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £300 a month for food for one adult and 2 kids is a lot of money,, I am sure she can cut that down.
    i know people who have to live on less than that for food with 4 or more in the family.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't need to cut it down, she needs to learn how to spend it more wisely, for the sake of her children at least. They deserve to have a healthy diet and lifestyle, and a Mum who is healthy and active and is around for as long as possible.
    She's 26, and in her own words hates being overweight. Where is her quality of life and what are her expectations? She must realise that things will only deteriorate for her over time.
    I find it quite sad that someone's problems are used as entertainment and to sell crappy magazines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    £300 a month for food for one adult and 2 kids is a lot of money,, I am sure she can cut that down.
    i know people who have to live on less than that for food with 4 or more in the family.

Ready meals and cakes and biscuits can ramp up the total cost of the shopping bill. Vegetables, pasta, rice etc will all lower the total cost quite a bit. One ready meal costs about £1-£2 whereas a bag of rice that's a supermarket's own brand, it can be as little as 40p, and this can last you about a week. If she is eating junk food, she's eating the wrong things.