CS - Carla ISN'T leaving!

13»

Comments

• Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    Like anyone else who leaves a soap she won't return if she gets better work. Alison is one of the better soap actors but i'm not sure she's star material in good dramas with good actors.

I agree with the bit in bold. If Alison gets better work, then I do not see her returning. Yes, it may be a break, but things happen and change. I can see the actress leaving for good if she does find loads of drama roles.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    I agree with the bit in bold. If Alison gets better work, then I do not see her returning. Yes, it may be a break, but things happen and change. I can see the actress leaving for good if she does find loads of drama roles.

Better work equalls better money and less repetatve work. It's s no brainer for any actor.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Are you that shallow? :o

From the person who keeps needlessly comparing a (very attractive) woman to a male plastic surgery addict? Right.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Most soap actors take 'breaks' these days that can last up to a year. Suppose the casts are so huge, they can accomodate a long break easily.

It always amuses me, though, when there's a headline about someone 'leaving' a soap that it's made to sound like the person will disappear next week, when of course even they are leaving, on screen it can be up to a year ahead because it's usually when a contract ends.

I can't imagine Alison ever leaving for good. Cos of her age, 42.
    Might be harder to find regular work at that age.

You make her sound ancient! In this day and age 42 is young.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Andybear wrote: »
    You make her sound ancient! In this day and age 42 is young.

I know :o 42 really isn't that old plus Ali could probably play a character who is meant to be in their 30s. In my opinion she looks good for her age. And she is an award winning actress, not only at the soap awards, but at other awards which has been decided by a team of experts. I have also seen her in other roles, and she's just as brilliant in them. Particularly dream team, the episode when she lost her baby was brilliantly acted by Alison king. She just knows how to captivate the audience and has brilliant stage presence :)
  • Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been said by several soap actresses (Kat Kelly included) that once you hit 30 it's a lot harder to find work in acting so I think Gracie could well be right & Ali K might not be quite so much in demand as many on here seem to think!!
    The acting world is ageist, absolutely, especially where women are concerned. But there are plenty of exception to the rule. Look at Gillian Anderson - she was known from the X Files for years, supposedly typecast, and now she's everywhere with The Fall, Hannibal, Streetcar Named Desire (on stage) etc. Sticking with soap stars, Julie Hes is another example, she practically walked straight into Cucumber. Jo Joyner must be past her mid thirties now, and she's still constantly in dramas. I'm a fan so of course I'm biased but I don't think she's exactly ready for the scrapheap just yet. Perhaps she won't be in any long running shows, but I think she'll easily land a 3-part drama, or something on stage. Plus, the corrie team know how popular Ali/Carla is, and I really don't seem them refusing to take her back even if she did find she had no job offers. So the way I see it, she'll either be out for a few years doing other things, or she'll be back sooner than that. Either way, I'm happy.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Carly is a notch above Bet Lynch.

bet was just a cartoon character.

Bet gradually became a caricature from about 1992 onwards.... Bet 1970-1989 was however a Corrie legend. A shame people often forget how brilliant she was and only remember her final years and the comeback - plus her Big Brother appearance.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that, at the end of the boring triangle nonsense (sorry, that's not specific enough - I mean the carla - peter - leanne one), peter and carla went off on a cruise, or something, and disappeared for far too short a time.

Corrie really improved during that period, in my opinion.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the coverage seems to disregard the 'break' part
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned all "break" means is that there'll be a mattress ready to break her fall should she fail to make it big in America, or as a singer, director or whatever. That's just speculation, of course.