Children's Programmes You Used To Watch

Comments

• Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gew up with anyone remembers it CBBC on Choice, Playhouse Disney with Dave and Alex and Bernard's Watch?
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Here is the list from Wikipedia of CITV shows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_CITV

And here for the CBBC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBC_children's_television_programmes

Scrolling down the list of show titles it does seem that the BBC had the edge - but ITV did have some gems.

This will be great interest to me to locate dvds of what I watched.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Phoenix Lazarus
    Was it The Moondial? It had a young girl staying with an elderly female relative and she could go back to visit a Victorian boy and, I think, an Edwardian girl. I think she had to save them both and could only visit them using a Moondial in the garden.
    Got so many theme tunes whizzing round my head I trhink it will explode!
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoenix Lazarus
    Was it The Moondial? It had a young girl staying with an elderly female relative and she could go back to visit a Victorian boy and, I think, an Edwardian girl. I think she had to save them both and could only visit them using a Moondial in the garden.

I take it you are answering this earlier post of mine.
    Does anyone recall that series in about 1978, when a modern girl staying in the country goes back to the Elizabethan era, and falls in love with a young man there? I recall it referring to the tune, Greensleeves. Was that the title?

It was not Moondial I recalled. I've just googled, and that was a 1988 series. The one I recalled was a decade earlier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    It was not Moondial I recalled. I've just googled, and that was a 1988 series. The one I recalled was a decade earlier.

I think the programme you are looking for is A Traveller in Time, adapted from a book by Alison Uttley. This featured Greensleeves extensively (and as a side note, the building used in filming belonged to Simon Groom's parents; I remember Blue Peter doing a 'special' during the filming).
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember The Changes, an eerie drama that centered around people turning against technology, it was similar to Survivors in context, and screaming out for a modern take, as technology has reached far further into our lives.

Would love to see it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkkfBMK-7c
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Anyone remember The Changes, an eerie drama that centered around people turning against technology, it was similar to Survivors in context, and screaming out for a modern take, as technology has reached far further into our lives.

Would love to see it again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkkfBMK-7c

I recall the opening scene, with the telly malfunctioning, then the father suddenly and shockingly freaking out and smashing it. I recall there was then a montage of other scenes, of people smashing household technology. It was rather reminiscent of the film the Crazies, from 1973 (recently remade, but I've only seen the original) but in a much less nasty way. I recall the main character is a girl who goes on some trek to seek the cause of the wave of collective insanity, and somehow traces it to an underground cavern, and an intelligent megalith, who is able to talk to her, glowing with each word it speaks. I recall the climax has the roof of the cavern collapsing, to submerge the megalith, while the girl escapes.
  • toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about noseybonk? freaky looking mofo
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in the early 90s and watched things like Woof!, Sooty Show/Sooty & Co, Knightmare, Fun House, Finders Keepers, Art Attack and Harry's Mad amongst other programmes.

If anyone's interested in watching a few old episodes from Harry's Mad, I've uploaded some to YouTube and have created a playlist on my channel of them: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD85CE88C584AF666&feature=plcp

I may add some more episodes in the near future too (just added two today).
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carries war
    singing ringing tree
    Midnight is a place
    toms midnight garden
    ballet shoes
    thursdays child
    On the run ( soldier and me)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toribaynes wrote: »
    what about noseybonk? freaky looking mofo

He was the main character in Jigsaw, early 1980s, along with the O-Man Big (Sylvester McCoy, between Tizwas and Dr Who) and O-Man small (David Rappaport , between R2D2 and self-topping). 'Dinna dinna!'

Jigsaw also had that young bloke with a white-painted face, who did mime. He was in an advert for camera film, circa 1984, in character as the Jigsaw mime-man, and it included a scene when they showed a picture of a big pair of (covered) boobs, with a lot of cleavage on display (to show how well the film shows colours) and he is shown having gone bright red, not white, and covering his eyes with embarrassment!
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    I grew up in the early 90s and watched things like Woof!, Sooty Show/Sooty & Co, Knightmare, Fun House, Finders Keepers, Art Attack and Harry's Mad amongst other programmes.

If anyone's interested in watching a few old episodes from Harry's Mad, I've uploaded some to YouTube and have created a playlist on my channel of them: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD85CE88C584AF666&feature=plcp

I may add some more episodes in the near future too (just added two today).

I'm sure I must've seen that series as it aired at a time I was still watching kids tv, but I just can't recall that I actually did watch it. It aired on CITV, so perhaps there was something on CBBC that I was watching instead.

I'll certainly watch a couple of eps though. I'm glad people upload these classic gems to youtube, otherwise no one may ever see them again.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I'll certainly watch a couple of eps though. I'm glad people upload these classic gems to youtube, otherwise no one may ever see them again.

Its sad to think ITV will probably never show these programmes again. In a time when they are really cutting back on spending, why don't they try these programmes on CITV for kids of today to watch.

While certain things in Harry's Mad have aged (a mobile phone in one episode I uploaded was one of the old "bricks" and the computer they were using was a Commodore), I still think they would entertain kids today, especially the novelty of a intelligent parrot.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    Its sad to think ITV will probably never show these programmes again. In a time when they are really cutting back on spending, why don't they try these programmes on CITV for kids of today to watch.

While certain things in Harry's Mad have aged (a mobile phone in one episode I uploaded was one of the old "bricks" and the computer they were using was a Commodore), I still think they would entertain kids today, especially the novelty of a intelligent parrot.

Indeed, many of these shows would be of great entertainment value to todays children. Also (despite an intelligent parrot) the old shows didn't talk down to kids, todays shows are just dumbed down.

Aside from out of date technology (which is of it's time, so may teach kids that the past is different?) the only time when a classic kids show might slip up is when there is mention of or a parody of something which was then current. A good example would the the Crystal Maze spoof in Maid Marian and Her Merry Men - todays kids would like it but wouldn't 'get it.'
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely their must be some way to obtain Emu's World!
  • RedAmberGreen2RedAmberGreen2 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bouncing around the decades a bit:

Dogtanian
    Worzel Gummidge
    Brendan Chase (early TVS, possibly late Southern, drama series)
    SuperGran
    Baggy Pants & The Misfits
    Stookie (STV Sunday afternoon drama)
    Help! It's The Hair Bear Bunch
    Finders Keepers (The BBC1 Richard Stilgoe quiz - not the unrelated and later CITV one)
    On Safari
    The 8:15 from Manchester
    Connections (always on when Uncle Bob was on a Blockbusting holiday - hmmm..Sue Robbie)
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Greenclaws
    Telebugs
    The krankies
    Rod hull and emu
    Sooty and co
    Chucklevision
    all of the T-bag adventures
    Grotbags
    Count duckula
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Surely their must be some way to obtain Emu's World!

Was that with Grotbags? :D

"There's somebody at the door"
    "There's somebody at the door"
  • RedAmberGreen2RedAmberGreen2 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and another one that's just come to me (I seemed to love quiz shows when I was a kid)

What's Happening?
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,192
    Forum Member
    Animaniacs
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    Freakazoid
    Batman the Animated Series (1992)
    Wizadora
    Art Attack
    Bernard's Watch
    Chucklevision
    The Demon Headmaster
    The Queen's Nose
    Finders Keepers
    Get Your Own Back
    Fun House
    Whizziwig
    Matt's Millions
    Out of Sight
    Mike and Angelo
    Dexter's Laboratory
    Johnny Bravo
    Cow and Chicken
    I am Weasel
    The Powerpuff Girls
    Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Courage the Cowardly Dog
    SMTV Live
    Scratchy & Co
    SMart
    Bodger and Badger
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
    VR Troopers
    Big Bad Beetleborgs
    Kenan and Kel
    The Secret World of Alex Mack
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch
    Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    Hey Arnold
    Rugrats
    Goosebumps
    Pokemon
    Digimon
    Taz-Mania
    The Smurfs
    The Snorks
    Wacky Races
    Stop the Pigeon
    Scooby Doo
    Flintstones
    Top Cat
    Thunderbirds
    Ducktales
    Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers
    TaleSpin
    Darkwing Duck
    Bonkers
    Gargoyles
    Recess
    Pepperann
    Mummies Alive
    Reboot
    Sooty & Co
    Looney Tunes
    Tom and Jerry
    The Pink Panther
    Rosie and Jim
    Tots TV
    The Wild House
    Timmy Towers
    Bimble's Bucket
    To Me, To You (Chuckle Brothers gameshow)
    The Riddlers
    The Magic School Bus
    Bikermice From Mars
    Earthworm Jim
    Super Mario cartoon
    Angela Anaconda
    Tales from the Cryptkeeper
    Wolves, Witches and Giants
    Finger Tips
    My Parents Are Aliens
    Gigglish Allsorts
    Angry Beavers
    Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Postman Pat
    Pingu
    Funnybones
    Spider!
    Fireman Sam
    Penny Crayon
    Pigeon Street
    Mr Benn
    Banana Man
    Crazy Cottage
    Dr. Zitbag's Transylvania Pet Shop
    The Real Ghostbusters
    Extreme Ghostbusters
    Men in Black (animated series)
    Sesame Street
    Thomas the Tank Engine
    Titch
    Tom and Jerry Kids
    The Quick Trick Show
    It's a Mystery
    The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
    Rupert
    Oggy and the Cockroaches
    The Worst Witch
    Jumanji (animated series)
    The Mask (animated series)
    Ace Ventura (animated series)
    Garfield & Friends
    The Forgotten Toys
    How 2
    Dennis the Menace (both versions)
    Children's Ward
    The Adventures of Tintin
    Woof!
    Roger and the Rottentrolls

That's all i can think of for now... :p
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the Magic Grandad? Took his grandkids back in time to teach them about history.

There was this show I used to watch late 90s/ early 20s and all I can remember was that it was set in the past, there was a baby and some ghosts - it was on CBBC! Any ideas?
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Ace of Wands
    Timeslip
    The Tomorrow People (Original)
    Magpie
    Sky (The weird HTV series not the TV company)
    The New and Old Avengers
    The Persuaders
    Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
    Moondial
    Catweasel
    Follyfoot
    Dr Who (Pertwee and Tom Baker)
    Thunderbirds/Et al
    UFO
    Bagpus
    Robinson Crusoe
    and so many many more!
  • rojorojo Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Double Deckers
    Marine Boy
    Thunderbirds
    TISWAS
    to name a few
  • TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    1985 - 1996

CITV "Non repeats"

CBBC "Non repeats"

Channel 4 "Non repeats.

1996 - 2000 "Cartoon Network, Fox Kids, Disney, Nick, TCC"

2000 - 2003 "Sky 1 when WWE Smackdown first showing was after, mostly late 90s stuff"

2003 - 2012 "Rubbish other than adult comedy cartoon shows"
  • toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wish they would put animaniacs on again i loved that show!