Options

Whatever happened to travel programmes?

dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭
People go abroad more than ever, yet Holiday and Wish you were here ended years ago and most of the Satellite holiday channels are gone too, why is this?

Comments

• Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I agree, I was always sad to lose BBC2's The Travel Show with Penny Junor - anyone remember that? She used to send some bloke of called Matthew to do challenges, like spending a week in a nudist resort. Surely, there's a gap for some sort of prime time travel show?!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I was always sad to lose BBC2's The Travel Show with Penny Junor - anyone remember that? She used to send some bloke of called Matthew to do challenges, like spending a week in a nudist resort. Surely, there's a gap for some sort of prime time travel show?!

BBC1 Northern Ireland still have a travel show.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    In the 1970s and 1980s holidays shows and their destinations were seen by me as luxuries and a real yearly treat.

I would say the internet killed off these shows. No holiday destination is out of reach now, be it financially or even a view on Google Street view. People have become more savvy about holidays.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I personally also did not like the fact a lot of non travel journalists, such as celebrities were given a free holiday for nothing!
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like a travel show that shows real holidays in the UK and Europe. With options for single, couple of family ideas.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Someone like Michael Palin would be fantastic for a regular travel show. Hec, let him take his family with him as well.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the celebrities seemed to travel on their own and never be aware of the surcharges many travel companies placed on single people. So they were never typical of most holidaymakers.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes it was a good programme liked the rough guides on bbc-2 as well; and this is from someone who hates holidays
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have one less of EastEnders and Coronation Street, Then do a travel show, Soaps taking up prime-time is lazy and would be classed as Daytime TV in other countries.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have

A Place In The Sun
    And
    Wanted Down Under
    Which are the ones I watch but not really holiday shows.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    We are more worldly wise and have Tripadvisor
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The man who did the challenges was Matthew Collins.
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always the Travel Channel, it's on Freeview, Freesat, Sky & Virgin.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    We now have Youtube to discover what there is to see and Trip Advisor for the hotels and restaurants to avoid.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »
    There's always the Travel Channel, it's on Freeview, Freesat, Sky & Virgin.

The don't show real travel shows on the Travel Channel any more, they're mainly about cookery, biking and extreme sports, not guides to resorts and destionations at home and abroard which I'd like to see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    KATIE HUMBLE in a kini !!! Some things will never be beaten!
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Judith Charlmers!
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally also did not like the fact a lot of non travel journalists, such as celebrities were given a free holiday for nothing!

It was a common criticism and both ITV and BBC responded by featuring "real families" in their shows .... for a series or two), but quickly reverted back to just "celebs".

I can't remember all the issues but one certainly was viewers were far more resentful towards families than the "celebs", especially if the families accent did not match their own.
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    We just have programs about the scams and problems of traveling or staying abroad. You know, those shows that someone like Matt Allwright, Dominic Littlewood or Angel Rippon would do but yeah I agree. The last time I remember watching a travel program was on Channel 5 with Julia Bradbury and Toby Amies. They need to be brought back.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine the uproar if the BBC wasted licence payers' money by sending their own staff on free holidays these days. :o
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Imagine the uproar if the BBC wasted licence payers' money by sending their own staff on free holidays these days. :o
    They still do but I think the genre has morphed in to something different.

You get Portillo on trains. A celeb going to save an animal but it's still all nice scenery.
    A regional celeb going around their home nation. Nesbitt in Ireland, GR-Jones in Wales, Locatelli in Italy.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Yes, seeing them lazing on a beach all day was not on and was so boring - they could have at least made some sand castles.

Back to topic, there should be a return of these shows and mix them with a watchdog theme to help prevent people from getting ripped off by operators using the internet just to scam.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I remember watching Davina Mcall hosting a travel show on, I think, Channel 4.

There was also Wish You Were Here and Scottish Passport (may still be on, not watched STV for years due to living in London). I remember seeing a series which was probably broadcast on some Cable channel called "Don't forget your passport".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Globe Trekker was good on Travel Channel.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC1 Northern Ireland still have a travel show.

Getaway :D:D