Options

CS Carla Connor: What is so special about her?

notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
Forum Member
All the hysteria currently surrounding the TEMPORARY exit of Carla from Corrie prompts me to ask the above question! Just why do the men of Weatherfield rush to dump their wives for her & why do women, who she's betrayed terribly still want to be her friend?? In short what is so special about her??

1) Is it her looks?
Could be I guess, if the sullen & pouty look is what floats your boat! It doesn't mine, but then I know we are all different & beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

2) Is it her sparkling personality & natural bonhomie?
Erm... hardly!! Yes she has a good line in sharp, acerbic wit & she can be capable of acts of real kindness even to people she doesn't like much, but above all she is selfish!! You know that, even as Carla's best mate, if you have something she wants, particularly if it's your husband, then she'll resort to every dirty trick in the book to take it/him from you!! In short she cannot be trusted!!

3) Is it because she's a 'strong, steely woman'?

Erm... no again really, most of the time she's a complete wreck, relying on whoever happens to be her best mate at the time, be it Leanne, Peter, Maria, Hayley or more recently Michelle, to help carry her through her latest self inflicted crisis, before turning to the bottle , immersing herself in work & careering towards the next one!!

4) Is it her money/ power/ business acumen?
:D:D:D!!! Hardly... she barely keps afloat a two bob backstreet knicker factory, all the shares of which she inherited from two dead husbands & a dead fiance, none of whom she cared a toss for!!

5) Is it because Alison King is a brilliant actress?
She's a good actress without a doubt, but despite what many on here would have you believe there are many other good actresses on the show who, given the wealth of brilliant stuff Alison's been given would look an awful lot better to forum members than they do currently, particularly Jane Danson who I would rate more highly than Alison, personally, but others as well, Helen Worth, Sally Dynevor, Samia Ghadie, Cath Tyldsley, Paula Lane, all capable of being excellent when given something to act, even dare I say it, Kym Marsh can rise to the occasion when she needs to & that's without even beginning to try out the new talent like Tisha Merry, Katy McGlynn, Sair Khan etc with some real meaty storylines!!

To sum up, yes the actress will be missed but the show won't fall apart while she's gone!! As for the character well, these are all just my opinions open to your debate but... judge for yourselves!!

Comments

• Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree completely. Really overhyped character. Goodness sake, every time she is absent a mere month people demand where Carla is, or complain she isn't given enough (she has gotten plenty since the whole Paul fiasco back in 2007).

I don't dislike her, but it is amazing how people trust her. How long before Leanne becomes her bezzie mate and all is forgotten? And she is hardly a successful businesswomen either, she relied on Tony and Frank to bail her out (but wasn't truly in love with them), and later left Rob and Michelle (with no experience) to run the factory for her when swanning off to Los Angeles.

As I said in another thread, the show coped just fine when she was absent in 2009 and 2012, I think it will survive without her. And I wish people would read these articles before jumping on the bandwagon acting like she has quit for good and blaming the Corrie team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she has quit for good I'll be sending bouquets to the entire Corrie team. :D

@ notdebbiedingle - excellent post, apart from the 'will be missed' bit. :)
  • Options
    Sunny Side UpSunny Side Up Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's the best Actress on the show and a Corrie legend.
  • Options
    boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm lazy so I'll just copy and paste what I just posted on another thread. :blush:

Carla is, hands down, Corrie's best character and whilst I'm sure no character is bigger than the show, it's a major loss; potentially damaging given the show's current state. She feels like THE central character, she has developed to be iconic. The show is always a bit flat when she's not around. Most talented actress in soap - she's the strongest force that would stop me watching. She's almost too good for the show. There's no other character as engaging. Corrie is in for a rough ride and spell without her.
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're overestimating how good the other actors/actresses are on this show. Alison is part of a select group who can carry big scenes and big storylines.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not mind Carla pre Liam but haven't really liked her since then.

I really do not understand how she is such a 'strong' character when she is reliant on booze and men. Her business has almost gone bust more times than I care to remember, she uses friends for her own selfish reasons. I would hardly call her iconic either, iconic is Deirdre, the Duckies etc.

I can't wait to have other characters and actresses a chance to shine, Carla has been shoe horned into almost every bloody storyline. There are other characters beyond Carla.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A modern day Bet Lynch
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the character's fiestiness and Alison King is a talented (and very pretty) actor. Corrie will seem a little strange without Carla Connor running the factory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    boxer1988 wrote: »
    I'm lazy so I'll just copy and paste what I just posted on another thread. :blush:

Carla is, hands down, Corrie's best character and whilst I'm sure no character is bigger than the show, it's a major loss; potentially damaging given the show's current state. She feels like THE central character, she has developed to be iconic. The show is always a bit flat when she's not around. Most talented actress in soap - she's the strongest force that would stop me watching. She's almost too good for the show. There's no other character as engaging. Corrie is in for a rough ride and spell without her.

Totally agree with everything you have said you have summed up how I feel about Carla. without Carla, I don't think I'll be able to watch as corrie has very few great characters left in the show and there is too much deadwood. I know quite a lot of people who just watch for Carla so the show will suffer I think without her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I love the character's fiestiness and Alison King is a talented (and very pretty) actor. Corrie will seem a little strange without Carla Connor running the factory.

I do wonder who will run the factory now. I really don't want her to go. It will be too weird with her not being in the factory, although I can't see me really watching it though once she is gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly-x wrote: »
    I do wonder who will run the factory now. I really don't want her to go. It will be too weird with her not being in the factory, although I can't see me really watching it though once she is gone.

Bring back Danny Baldwin!! I remember his pet names for his factory girls - Lippy, Fuzz, Mincemeat :D
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison King is one of the stronger actresses on the show, that is why there is fuss over Carla leaving.:)
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    A nuanced, flawed character played fantastically by the goddess Alison King. She just has so much presence and could make chewing a fart compelling television for me. I agree in real life nobody would trust her with their breakfast never mind husbands, but even at her worst there's still something that makes you want to root for her. I actually loved her most during the Liam saga in which she was pretty much an unapologetic bitch.

I don't think the show will fail without her, but I'll personally find it pretty darn crap.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    Bring back Danny Baldwin!! I remember his pet names for his factory girls - Lippy, Fuzz, Mincemeat :D

That probably would not be allowed now, not politically correct doncha know!:D

Wish they could bring Danny back, but I think Bradley Walsh has far better things to do than climb aboard the sinking ship that is Corrie sadly.

As for Carla Connor, not bothered if she is there or not I find her a bit meh tbh. She is not a legend, Diedrie was a legend, Sally is a legend and neither of them are/were gobby, drunken man mad old bats. Sorry.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    JohnDoe14 wrote: »
    You're overestimating how good the other actors/actresses are on this show. Alison is part of a select group who can carry big scenes and big storylines.

I would have to disagree with you on that one!! Many of the current cast were there pre 06 when Alison King joined, including through what many consider the 'golden age' of 02-05 & were more than capable of carrying big storylines then & would be again given the chance which, under the current regime, they just haven't been given the chance, with all the major stuff going to Carla!!

Thanks for all your feedback so far! As I say it was just my opinion & I'm always happy to see a debate as long as it doesn't get nasty & personal insults start flying around!! ( though even they can be quite Lol sometimes!! ;):D:D )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That probably would not be allowed now, not politically correct doncha know!:D

Wish they could bring Danny back, but I think Bradley Walsh has far better things to do than climb aboard the sinking ship that is Corrie sadly.

As for Carla Connor, not bothered if she is there or not I find her a bit meh tbh. She is not a legend, Diedrie was a legend, Sally is a legend and neither of them are/were gobby, drunken man mad old bats. Sorry.

LOL your probably right, those names were great! Stupid PC society >:( Remembers Legs and Bolshy as well...

Yeah if I was Bradley Walsh I would stay well away.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's fantastic, although I haven't watched Corrie recently from around 2009 - 2014 she was one of the highlight characters
  • Options
    Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get all the hype about Carla, I won't miss her or that horrible voice of hers!
    She is good looking and has a lovely figure yes but nothing else. Why do the women on Corrie think she is some kind of goddess??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    a chav who guzzles cheap red wine all day and smells of cheese n onion crisps i bet Haha
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carla's actually got better looking the older she's got.

If ewe look at her on YouTube, I think ewe will agree. ;)

I guess guys fancy her because she looks naughty, and probably is naughty between the sheets. She's what's called a milf.

Other than that, she's nothing special. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Carla's actually got better looking the older she's got.

yea, i can relate to that on me :D
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    GracieL wrote: »
    I did not mind Carla pre Liam but haven't really liked her since then.

I really do not understand how she is such a 'strong' character when she is reliant on booze and men. Her business has almost gone bust more times than I care to remember, she uses friends for her own selfish reasons. I would hardly call her iconic either, iconic is Deirdre, the Duckies etc.

I can't wait to have other characters and actresses a chance to shine, Carla has been shoe horned into almost every bloody storyline. There are other characters beyond Carla.

I don't see why flaws would lessen the strength of a character :confused: In soaps and dramas flaws give characters strength I'd say. Carla is a stand out character who is feisty and an independent business woman. She has perhaps used alcohol to self medicate and she's had trauma aplenty to self medicate from. She has also had multiple partners like all soap characters but she has also left partners when it was the right thing to do and been on her own for periods of time.

Iconic must be subjective as she certainly is from my point of view. I think some just see iconic as long serving which shouldn't really be the case.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watched Corrie for ages but I personally thought her quite charismatic in the role, particularly around the Tony Gordon stuff.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fuss over her going, big storylines coming up for Traceyluuuuuv
    Says it all about CS these days
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Not watched Corrie for ages but I personally thought her quite charismatic in the role, particularly around the Tony Gordon stuff.

I knew you had good taste!