Options

EMAP channels going FTA?

dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read once that EMAP were planning to make at least some of their music channels FTA when their contract with sky runs out. Can anyone confirm this for me and if so when this would happen?

I read also that Channel 4's contract with sky is up in October 2008, any chance of a deal to get E4 and More4 FTA before then?

Comments

• Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote:
    I read also that Channel 4's contract with sky is up in October 2008, any chance of a deal to get E4 and More4 FTA before then?

I have contacted Channel 4 about this, there responce was "we have no plans as of yet to go Free-to-Air when our Free-to-View contract with BSKYB ends in 2008" no month was given, no further responce from Channel 4 on this matter has been announced.

It was said that LIVINGtv were looking at going Free-to-Air as they could not resolve the subscription issue with BSKYB, as of yet no further announcement has been made by either party.
  • Options
    goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having no plans; well Adolf Hitler had no further territorial ambitions, but then he invased Poland and us oldies went through WW8. IMO cos are like that. They'll wait to see what the land is like and then decise. However it does not mean they are not giving thought to how to proceed there along with many other things,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its pretty much a given they'll be FTA in 2008, they'll simply move to astra 2D, I'm wondering if there's any chance it could happen earlier?
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote:
    Its pretty much a given they'll be FTA in 2008, they'll simply move to astra 2B, I'm wondering if there's any chance it could happen earlier?

No, no! 2D, not 2B

2D has far less Continental overspill.

No chance at all of it happening early - but I do agree that it is as near to a certainty as it is possible to be that all Channel 4's stable will go FTA in 2008.

Five have already stated they will remain FTV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    No, no! 2D, not 2B

2D has far less Continental overspill.

No chance at all of it happening early - but I do agree that it is as near to a certainty as it is possible to be that all Channel 4's stable will go FTA in 2008.

Five have already stated they will remain FTV.

Silly mistake now corrected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou - there are people who don't know these things and it can make a big difference :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    What I don't understand is why More4 and E4 can't be viewed even with a Freesat from sky card. It seems silly that they are only in the variety mix.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is why More4 and E4 can't be viewed even with a Freesat from sky card. It seems silly that they are only in the variety mix.

Ch4 signed a contract with SKY that prevents those channels from being FTA until the contract ends and SKY can still use them to add "value" to the MIX they are in.
    The two companies agreed that E4 could be broadcast unecrypted on Freeview in return for CH4 no longer receiving SKY subscription revenue for the channel.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote:
    ...they'll simply move to astra 2D

Hope not! I'd rather they stayed on 2B and scrambled (if need be)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

Give it up for our ex-pat friends!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote:
    Its pretty much a given they'll be FTA in 2008, they'll simply move to astra 2D, I'm wondering if there's any chance it could happen earlier?

Where?? 2D is just about full. Theres no way to squeeze multiple C4 services on there without a major channel shuffle - and remember its not ONE C4 channel - theres about 6 of them due to the macro advertising regions they use.
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Where?? 2D is just about full. Theres no way to squeeze multiple C4 services on there without a major channel shuffle - and remember its not ONE C4 channel - theres about 6 of them due to the macro advertising regions they use.
    I don't agree, see my post on here:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=12248340#post12248340
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you say on that post we have had this discussion before, and no doubt we will have it again

Without seeing the contract details for the encoded channels on 2D all we can do is speculate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure they have a few spare slots on 2D from where they broadcast Film4, anyone know now many?

By the way, any idea if and when the ITV regions will get Sky EPG numbers?
  • Options
    RyubenRyuben Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    And what about Emap then?

Curious that all posts were about Channel 4 and thread name is "Emap channels going FTA?"

I think that at the moment Emap channels are more likely to go FTA after Bliss, Scuzz and Flaunt did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryuben wrote:

Curious that all posts were about Channel 4 and thread name is "Emap channels going FTA?"
    I think we all went into "AutoRant Mode" :D
  • Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idle Speculation:

Perhaps The Hits could be FTA (after all it is on freeview) and be used as a promo/loss leader for all the other encrypted EMAPs, like Sky do with Sky Three.

ADC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Well it would be good if they went free, then all the music channel would be free except music choice! Then the music mix would be gone lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly are the EMAP channels? What about the MTV/VH1 channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EMAP'S channels are The Hits, The Box, FHM TV, Kiss tv, Magic TV, Kerrang TV, Q TV and Smash Hits TV. The Hits is already FTA on freeview.
  • Options
    RyubenRyuben Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Phillbaker wrote:
    Well it would be good if they went free, then all the music channel would be free except music choice! Then the music mix would be gone lol

Don't forget about Viacom (MTV, Vh1, etc....) Those will remain encripted til the end of time... and so will Music Choice.

Might Viacom would set TMF to FTA, but I don't think so. Turning TMF into FTV seems more likely. They love encription.

So, if Emap goes FTA, Music mix should be called "Viacom + Music choice mix" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Maybe it would be an idea for more channels to do what MTV Trax is currently doing - flag as encrypted (to fool SKY boxes) but don't actually physically encrypt. That way channels would not lose money from potential SKY customers who have the option to subscribe, but they would be gaining non-SKY viewers which could attract more advertising because they would be able to claim that they are FTA across Europe.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

Finally happened 6 years on.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump

Finally happened 6 years on.