Steel Battalion Kinect!

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
Now THIS does look awesome. I never got to play the first Steel Battalion as the add-on controller cost so much money but the potential for this game is actually really good if you spend a minute to think about it. This is the sort of software I would like to see with Kinnect, We can thank Capcom for that. At least they are trying to make some software that appeal to core gamers. Check out some of the screenshots and footage from the article.

article

screenshots

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read about this earlier. I'm curious as to how they will use Kinect with it, are there any videos of it yet?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Well, I dunno if you remember the first game's massive controller but there was a whole plethora of buttons and tweaky knobs lol and stuff, I assume it will all be on the screen and our hand movements will operate the cockpit. I think it has very high potential.

If you look at this screenshot you can see part of the cockpit, which I assume will be fully operational by kinect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blocked at work :(

I wonder if Kinect is precise enough to allow you to do this. Oh and yeah I recall the controller, I wanted one :D
  • cosmicsoupcosmicsoup Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I owned the original steel battalion which was lots of fun in short bursts. I can't see me buying the kinect version as it was the controller that appealed to me the first time. Using just your hand movements to control the cockpit doesn't have the same appeal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I really need to be convinced about Kinect and that game is a start, my fingers are crossed for Kinect's future. I'm certain it has potential but its weather it'll be realised by the powers at be. Sony took the easy option with Move, MS have got it all to prove with Kinect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capt.Smead wrote: »
    I really need to be convinced about Kinect and that game is a start, my fingers are crossed for Kinect's future. I'm certain it has potential but its weather it'll be realised by the powers at be. Sony took the easy option with Move, MS have got it all to prove with Kinect.

Exactly! Whenever someone slags of Kinect for it's line-up of games I try and point out that this is just the beginning and once the developers get to grips with it we should see better and more appealing games.

Just look at Move, it's launch line-up is poor in my view but over the next 6 months they have some real gems coming out for it.

Just worried that Steel Battalion may only end up using Kinect to track where your looking and move the character's head in the cockpit.
    Forum Member
    Now I'm quite intrigued by this game, I never could afford the original controller for Steel Battalion but I always wanted to play it. With Kinect you can now interact with the cockpit buttons on-screen. It could work very well I think.

This video has the developers explaining how some of the gameplay feature work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NmRbGacsDo

Official Trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGuWhqQi2fA

Also, it's being developed by From Software and it's always exciting to have them at the helm. It's good news that the game is using the controller and kinect together. Hopefully more games will start to use this combination, I think that is where Kinect's future lies tbh.
  • WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Demo is now on the marketplace!
    Forum Member
    God damn, this game looks superb. I need to buy a Kinect.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    the demo is amazing

but every sentence has an F word or an S word in it.

18+ only !!!!

a superb game.

I had trouble hitting the heat button though
    Forum Member
    YES!!! This game is very good indeed. It's without question the "Dark Souls" of mech games. The kinect can be a bit fussy depending on where you sit and your hand motions but get it right and it's an awesome experience. The demo is great because the first mission is tough and shows how you need to get used to everything to stand a chance completing it.

I'm not convinced by Kinect as a motion device but this game gets a lot of things right, voice command would of been useful in some instances though imo but I guess they left that out due to the problems it would introduce during online multiplayer.