Who taught you to cook?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mum did meals like spagbol, salad with salad cream, roast and veg.I started by asking her questions about the meals i liked and what the ingrediants were.

When I moved into my own place she bought me a really good basic cookbook for students on limited money, but the recipes were all good.

I discovered that i like experimenting and buying good food, and trying out new things.Its very relaxing to come home and "create" something.

And i'm finding all the ideas and help given in this forum is great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who taught you to cook?
    My microwave manual!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Berry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    I lernt in school and of my mum and dad
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not confident.

My gran, who brought me up, was an ace cook, but never shared any of her tips and recipes. :(

When I got married, I surrounded myself with cookery books, and although I had to follow recipes religiously, I wasn't too bad.

Current b/f thinks he's Gordon Ramsay and witters if I am anywhere near a cooker, so I let him get on with it. I do fancy a go every now and then though.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum is a really good cook, but she's mostly a very different cook to me. She did try teaching me to cook as a teenager, and before I went to university, but I was never very interested - either in learning in general, or in learning how to cook the meals she did. Bizarrely, I do love eating her food, but it's not the sort of thing I like to cook, mostly. I did cook a bit at uni, mostly learning from flatmates or from books, but I never really cooked very often, and I never enjoyed it.

During my first job I got really really stressed, and I hated cooking - I lived on microwave meals and prozen pizza. It's only really over the last few years, since I changed jobs, that I've got into cooking. My mum has shown me some techniques and so on (and I've picked them up by watching her without her specifically teaching me) but the rest comes from telly and books, and trial and error really. I like experimenting a bit.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had Home Economics in my backwater secondary school in the late 80s.

Nothing complicated or gourmet, but it taught you all the basics - pastry, cakes, roux sauce, gravy, stock, basic family dishes like Cottage Pie,Pizza, Quiche, Macaroni cheese, vegetable bake. But when you've mastered the basics, you can go on to cook with confidence. At the time,it was uninspiring, now I feel that education was priceless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    my mum - she bought me my first cook book at 6
    My 'O' level DS teacher - she didn't much care for me but I still walked away with a grade A
    Delia Smith
    and lastly trial and error:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching my grandmother and mother and cookery programmes. I was forever writing down recipes and improvising when my mother didn't have the ingredients to hand.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had Home Economics in my backwater secondary school in the late 80s.

Nothing complicated or gourmet, but it taught you all the basics - pastry, cakes, roux sauce, gravy, stock, basic family dishes like Cottage Pie,Pizza, Quiche, Macaroni cheese, vegetable bake. But when you've mastered the basics, you can go on to cook with confidence. At the time,it was uninspiring, now I feel that education was priceless.

Ditto, except it was the early-mid 80s for me!

My teacher gave us a chicken fricassee recipe which was so yummy, I still make it on occasion.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My school "cookery" lessons were truly dreadful. I think I had about three practical lessons ever (the rest was all copying out of books) - I know we made rock buns, and possibly scones, and also a fruit salad. The fruit salad is engraved on my memory because my friend opened a tin of pineapple chunks, a tin of melon balls and a tin of cherries, tipped them all into a bowl with the syrup and got 10/10. I chopped up nectarines and apples and kiwi fruit and de-skinned some orange segments, and got 3/10 BECAUSE I HAD NO SYRUP! I refused to put in any effort, or listen to anything the teacher said after that, and dropped Cookery for Metalwork as soon as I could.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cookery is all about making love. I taught myself.

Lol, you mean your dad didn't teach you.....! :D