Options

Goodbye Amy+Rory (appreciation thread)

sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now obviously they've not left yet, and we still have one week of Amy+Rory, but it's been quite clear what this most recent episode has been doing, it's been setting us up for the events to soon take place in Manhatten. "The power of three..." And you'll forgive me if I go all weepy and Tennant-ish and, scream, scream at the top of my lungs, till my throat dissolves, I weep blood, and destroy the ears of bats, "I DONT WANT YOU TO GO!!!!!:(:(:eek::eek::cry::cry::cry::cry::

Now I've been on here long enough to not that not everyone are Amy/Rory fans. Some love Amy but hate Rory. Some are vice versa. Some hate both of them and cant wait till JLC comes along at Christmas. This is not a thread for you. Well, it is one for those who cant wait about JLC, I LOVED her in Asylum of the Daleks and I know, just like with new Doctors, that she'll be great. But I'm so sad to be seeing the end of Amy+Rory. Obviously I dont really know what JLC will be like, but so far, these 2, these TWO, their my favourite companions so far, thats in all the history of Who, classic and new (apart from, maybe, 1's first 4 companions, aand probably the Brigadier and the rest of U.N.I.T. who it was nice to get a little tribute to in the last episode, KATE STEWART!!!). Their just so great and, basically, this thread is an appreciation thread, for anyone who wants to to look back on their fave moments throughout the week until they leave. And sob. Shamelessly. Like a big girl.

I was always pretty meh about most other companions but Iust love these 2. They both so great together, as they are with 11 and River. I've already said in numerous threads before how 11/River/Amy/Rory are my dream team, love the episodes with all of them in, their the best. Their just both so different. Amy may have been quite similar to previous companions, and she is, but at the same time, she's funny, charming, scottish, HOT (And I mean really, sizzling), and she has such a beautiful history etc with all the girl who waited stuff. Timey wimey. And Rory, do I even need to justify why I love Rory. His down to earth-ness, his humour, his awkwardness, his slight rivalry-but-then-close friendship with the Doctor, the fact that, unlike other companions, he's not completely in awe at everything the Doctor does but, is actually, kind of an equal. Plus, his and Amy's love for each other etc which is just (also, I like how Amy didnt just fall in love with the Doc and abandon her boyfriend like Rose did, it was always quite clear she really loved Rory)....

But probably the main reason I love these 2 is cos I love 11, he's my favourite Doctor and while, by the same logic I might love JLC just as much beacuse, as I've said on the "defining companions" thread, they are the companions that have defined him, it's cos of them he's like he is, they were his first companions and, while I love change, I doubt he'll be the same without them

Comments

• Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I loved this bit in The Power of Three:
    Yours was the first face this face saw... you two are emblazoned on my hearts

or something like that? :cry:
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree they have been the closest thing to a proper family he has had for a very long time.
  • Options
    dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Great companions, nobody has 'done it better.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah, Davrosdodebird, already love that scene simply because that does sum up exactly my feelings about them. They are 11's companions. My favourite Doctor with my favourite companions.

Here's the episode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n2tmc/Doctor_Who_Series_7_The_Power_of_Three/

Also here are the 3 trailers for their last story next week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km5Ihj9mbcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpjMcNUOz-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukly1NP-P0E&feature=g-all-c
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that broke my heart a little, I must day :cry:

I shall miss them a lot. Donna is probably my favourite post 2005 companion, but....these two have stuck around so long they almost feel like family in a way no other contemporary companions have.
  • Options
    snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I have warmed to them a little in this latest series. However, I am one of the people who can't wait to see the back of them.
    Personally, I blame my dislike of Amy squarely at series five.
    Her personality grated on me so much, I felt as if I wanted to chuck a brick at the TV screen whenever she was on.
    It's a saving that Moffat etc has toned her down during series six and now seven as I don't think I would be watching Doctor Who now, if she was still the same as she was in series five.
    There have been companions I have loved straight away, Rose being one of them. Yes, I know she gets a lot of stick with some posters here, but I liked her:D All down to personal taste.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

That scene made me want to cry.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I blame my dislike of Amy squarely at series five.
    Her personality grated on me so much, I felt as if I wanted to chuck a brick at the TV screen whenever she was on.

That's actually really quite interesting as series 5 was my favourite season! It had everything, a great Doctor, a great full-time companion, 2 great on-off companions, great stories, great effects, great music. I guess that series is what has actually made people love/hate 11 and/or Rory+Amy. Although that seems fairly obvious, if you love something in the 1st season it stands to reason you'll probably like it more later than if you hated it in the first season
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    That scene made me want to cry.:cry:

It actually DID make me cry....:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It actually DID make me cry....:o

And it's scenes like that that continue to prove to me that Moffat's era of Who has plenty of emotional content and isn't as clinical/cold as some viewers seem to think it.

I love Amy and Rory to bits and The Power Of Three really highlighted that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My all-time favorite companions (bare in mind I have only started watching since 05 and haven't watched the old ones)....I know that, once they are gone am gonna feel down because, I've grown accustomed to having them there. I absolutely adore Karen as Amy (Amelia) and Arthur as Rory, the relationship between the two of them is believable, that's what I love about them two. Unlike Rose, Martha and Donna before them, they have a life outside the Tardis and I know, it's coming, the end that is. I know, next week neither will be in a Doctor Who episode again....am just, gonna miss them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this has been MY Team TARDIS! most definitely...i mean Jenna Louise Colman i feel will bring her own when she comes into the show full time...Oswin proved that in Asylum. But for me 11/Amy/Rory and River too really showcase the power of them as characters and as actors, the chemistry is clear on screen and off screen, it is always sublime to see them in action every week.

I feel that Moff, and specifically also Matt really reawakened the passion i have for the show and had rewatching some classics with my dad when i was little etc and i didnt feel it as much 2005 - 2009....but in 2010 WHAM!

So i have a strong feeling next week i will be in actual tears the very first time for a television show since Buffy The Vampire Slayers season 5 finale! (11 years ago crikey!) its just this connection of the past 3 years is about to be brought full circle and sent off in such a powerful final chapter...i truly cannot wait.

Moff brought Event TV back into the show in a big way i feel (not that RTD didnt of course but in a different level and style)
    So yeah next week i will be in tears and not knowing whether to hide with the Angels everywhere or cry knowing Amy and Rory are going to leave permanently :(.

Either way Bring it On!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    dhdefender wrote: »
    Great companions, nobody has 'done it better.'

Nobody has done it worse, except maybe Bonnie Langford
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tscchope wrote: »
    Nobody has done it worse, except maybe Bonnie Langford

But she's great in the audios though:)
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Sssshhhhh, don't tell anyone but I am wearing a cheer leading skirt and have pom poms! I am about to cheer for my favourite companion.)

D.O.N.N.A
    Donna!
    Go Donna Go Donna!

But, credit to Amy and Rory. Next weeks episode will inevitably be emotional.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely going to miss Karen and Arthur. They played the characters of Amy and Rory perfectly. But Doctor Who is about change. and I'm looking forward to seeing what Jenna Lousie-Coleman brings to the program; after seeing her in AOTD, I'm optimistic about whatever character she is going to portray. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screaming and weeping blood OP? Is that what's gonna happen in the next series, when Time Lords become horribly allergic to their own regeneration energy and die slowly after writhing around in pain for several days?

Probably not.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm firmly in the "can't wait to see the back of them" camp, although I will admit I like them as characters far more in this series than I did in series 5 and 6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screaming and weeping blood OP? Is that what's gonna happen in the next series, when Time Lords become horribly allergic to their own regeneration energy and die slowly after writhing around in pain for several days?

Probably not.

he he:D
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this has been MY Team TARDIS! most definitely...i mean Jenna Louise Colman i feel will bring her own when she comes into the show full time...Oswin proved that in Asylum. But for me 11/Amy/Rory and River too really showcase the power of them as characters and as actors, the chemistry is clear on screen and off screen, it is always sublime to see them in action every week.

I feel that Moff, and specifically also Matt really reawakened the passion i have for the show and had rewatching some classics with my dad when i was little etc and i didnt feel it as much 2005 - 2009....but in 2010 WHAM!

So i have a strong feeling next week i will be in actual tears the very first time for a television show since Buffy The Vampire Slayers season 5 finale! (11 years ago crikey!) its just this connection of the past 3 years is about to be brought full circle and sent off in such a powerful final chapter...i truly cannot wait.

Moff brought Event TV back into the show in a big way i feel (not that RTD didnt of course but in a different level and style)
    So yeah next week i will be in tears and not knowing whether to hide with the Angels everywhere or cry knowing Amy and Rory are going to leave permanently :(.

Either way Bring it On!

Agreed i always loved DT and Rose and weeped when she left but.

Moffat ahs created a great team in the ponds someone who can be with him when he needs them and with them when they need him a proper family no unrequited love, love lost, or simply being mind swiped :p

I'll be sad to see them goes as the ponds have effectively spent their early adult lives with him and seemed as though he'd be with them until they grew old at Xmas past, restn and future so i'll be sad to see them leave as they have become more than companions but the glue that holds the fabric of 11 doc together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything over 20ish episodes for me is too much for almost any companion. I always loved the fact that companions came and went with regularity in the classic series, it kept the show fresh.

Keeping with the same companions for 30+ episodes is just a bit too much, i really liked Amy in the beginning and Rory was great when he came along but I have always thought that once the River story had run it's course it was time for them all to go with River making cameo appearances for a while to come perhaps. The garden scene should have been their swan song with the surrounding story a bit more finalised and not so open.

Keeping them this long has made me bored of them, it's the same thing week-in week-out.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:cry:
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good riddance to them. They over stayed their welcome this year.