Oscar For Best Song this Year..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Who's going to follow Adele to win Best Song at next years Oscars?
Out of all the Movies released last year only 14 songs qualified for nominations.
This year there are some good songs

Emeli Sande - 'Here It Comes' from the movie Trance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_tQwVQH9U

Florence - 'Over The Love' from The Great Gatsby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSPOCVjla_4

Lana Del Ray - 'Young and Beautiful' from The Great Gatsby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKI7lubTj8
(This may not qualify because it wasn't wrote for the movie to start with)

Beyoncé -'Rise Up' from Epic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Xf91QbTwo

Any songs that are in the end credits of any movie can't be nominated.
Song due out for movies later in the Year
U2 for Avatar 2
Julie Andrews for Saving Mr. Banks
Susan Boyle for The Christmas Candle (reported to be end credits).

Can anyone think of anymore tracks?

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Obviously I'm biased but Lana's Young and Beautiful would be my choice. BTW, when asked in an interview if it was originally intended for 'Paradise' she denied it lol. Which leads me to think both her and Baz Lurhmann/Jay-Z fancy its chances of being eligible for nomination (and winning). Plus it was the lead single and was is featured extensively in the film. Time will tell
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well on pure quality of song & artistic merit it has to be Lana Del Rey, but if Subo's does end up on the list given her popularity with Demi Moore and co...she may well beat all of them!

Also re: Young and Beautiful: I've heard a few people say it started out as a Paradise track and was just lifted at the last minute for the film, so doesn't therefore qualify. But is there anything that actually supports this view?

Every interview I've seen from Del Rey to the Director Baz Luhrmann seems to suggest it was indeed specifically written for the film, so much so that Baz himself has a songwriting credit on the track for adding in a few of his own lyrics. Apparently she kept sending him loose drafts of song ideas she'd written and sang into her mobile phone. Baz liked Young and Beautiful the best, so that became the one.

Add to that the fact that song never previously appeared on any of Lana's albums, and the first time anyone has ever heard it was on this film, I therefore don't see any reason why the song shouldn't qualify for an Oscar nomination at all.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't reckon any of them will be up to be honest. Maybe Lana, but there seems to be confusion on whether it was actually written for the film, or was a left over from her previous works.

I haven't got a clue what songs are due for future films
    I had no idea that Julie Andrews was doing one, mainly because she hasn't sung since the throat surgery ruined her voice and she sued them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Any song played during the end credits while the screen is back can't be nominated.
    Swift was nominated for The Hunger Games song - Golden Globes but couldn't be nominated for an Oscar, same with Madonna from the movie W/E.
    Mariah Carey's Almost Home can't be nominated this year.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    I can see a hatchet job being done to get Beyonce an Oscar. She's probably still seeing red about Dreamgirls.
    Forum Member
    I don't reckon any of them will be up to be honest. Maybe Lana, but there seems to be confusion on whether it was actually written for the film, or was a left over from her previous works.

I haven't got a clue what songs are due for future films
    I had no idea that Julie Andrews was doing one, mainly because she hasn't sung since the throat surgery ruined her voice and she sued them.
    Disney asked Julie if she would do something for the movie - it's about Mary Poppins and how they made the movie.(Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson).
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's nice. I love Julie Andrews anyway, so it's nice to hear her sing again. Stunning voice

Beyonce shouldn't need to be pissed off about Dreamgirls. The better actress won the oscar. The grammys might be up her backside, but thankfully the oscars are not.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Together by the XX (Great Gatsby) - such an amazing song, possibly their best.
    Young and Beautiful - Lana Del Rey (Great Gatsby)

those are two of my faves from films currently
    Forum Member
    Together by the XX (Great Gatsby) - such an amazing song, possibly their best.
    Young and Beautiful - Lana Del Rey (Great Gatsby)

those are two of my faves from films currently
    Only two songs can be submitted from each movie.
    Forum Member
    Lana's the only once so far who's had any chart success with her song and that if she's nominated that will give her ahead above the rest.
    The Academy like a song that's had some chart success.
    Just looked up SuBo and her song is religious, can't see that having any chart success within the digital market
  • jacqueline_greejacqueline_gree Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people start hating on Beyonce for no reason? It's like people are uneccessarily threatened by her success. Rise up is a brilliant song and deserves to be nominated as much as he next one.

Every single thread on this music forum becomes a Beyonce hate thread. Bizarre considering she's the biggest start of our time. There must be a deeper reason behind her hate because she is a genuinely nice and charitable person but people pursue hate. I find it weird.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Lana Del Rey young and beautiful
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people start hating on Beyonce for no reason? It's like people are uneccessarily threatened by her success. Rise up is a brilliant song and deserves to be nominated as much as he next one.

Every single thread on this music forum becomes a Beyonce hate thread. Bizarre considering she's the biggest start of our time. There must be a deeper reason behind her hate because she is a genuinely nice and charitable person but people pursue hate. I find it weird.

It's because she is showered with praise for what is at best mediocre music. Great entertainer yes musically wanting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any song played during the end credits while the screen is back can't be nominated.
    Swift was nominated for The Hunger Games song - Golden Globes but couldn't be nominated for an Oscar, same with Madonna from the movie W/E.
    Mariah Carey's Almost Home can't be nominated this year.

Not necessarily. I read somewhere that a song can still qualify for the Oscars if it's played immediately or start within one minute of the end credits, I think. Taylor Swift's Hunger Games song was either the second or third song in (so way beyond the qualification cut-off) and Madonna's W/E song missed the end credits starting cut-off.
    Beyonce shouldn't need to be pissed off about Dreamgirls. The better actress won the oscar. The grammys might be up her backside, but thankfully the oscars are not.

Beyonce was also thinking about the Best Song Oscars for Dreamgirls. She was bumped out of the list since only three writers can be nominated and she was the "fourth writer" for Listen, which got nominated. That's what might have pissed her off more. She had no chance at all of being nominated for Best Lead Actress that year. It didn't matter anyways since Dreamgirls lost to a song from An Inconvenient Truth.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any song by Emeli Sandé for a film starring Olivia Colman. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence's song for Gatsby is incredible and deserves the win.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen Brother's new movie about the folk music scene in the 60s will probably have some original songs so look out for that