Options

Body of a male found in River Clyde

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
For the last weeks or so, a young male from Dumbarton has been missing, countless posters have been put up, locally and in Glasgow

Now comes the news a body has been found in the river Clyde, and it looks like, it this boys body, if it is, it so sad, and the boy was such a nice person

I even knew the lad as a customer, as did many of my colleagues, and Michael was such a lovely guy, you couldn't meet a nicer person

RIP
Michael

Comments

• Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    For the last weeks or so, a young male from Dumbarton has been missing, countless posters have been put up, locally and in Glasgow

Now comes the news a body has been found in the river Clyde, and it looks like, it this boys body, if it is, it so sad, and the boy was such a nice person

I even knew the lad as a customer, as did many of my colleagues, and Michael was such a lovely guy, you couldn't meet a nicer person

RIP
    Michael

Yup, very sad, do the police yet know the circumstances of his death?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His name is being reported on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23972382
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears to be a tragic accident as the last sighting of him was on a road next to the river.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooer, I cycled past that spot late last night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    So sad, we were all hoping for the safe return. Such a nice post Roland
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad, RIP.

I hadn't heard about this and perhaps alarming that had it been a young woman we all would have.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Why do these cases of bodies being found in a river always seem to begin with the poor person having been to a nightclub?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Why do these cases of bodies being found in a river always seem to begin with the poor person having been to a nightclub?

Because they are drunk... Or was that rhetorical?
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Very sad, RIP.

I hadn't heard about this and perhaps alarming that had it been a young woman we all would have.

Tbf there were flyers around town. I got leafleted by his friends a few hours before.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Because they are drunk... Or was that rhetorical?

I just find it surprising. When I was in my clubbing days, I was with friends, who I'd typically get a taxi/bus back home with. The pattern with these deaths is so common that maybe there should be some scheme to allow lone clubbers to have some accompaniment until they get home?
    (I'm presuming it is drunk people simply getting lost and stumbling into rivers?)
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen missing posters on Facebook for the past few days, had a feeling it wouldn't end well, the last one from Paisley didn't. Sad.:(
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find it surprising. When I was in my clubbing days, I was with friends, who I'd typically get a taxi/bus back home with. The pattern with these deaths is so common that maybe there should be some scheme to allow lone clubbers to have some accompaniment until they get home?
    (I'm presuming it is drunk people simply getting lost and stumbling into rivers?)

There should be yes. And more barriers in many cases.

My family used to be constantly fishing out drunks from harbours and waterways (largely alive) so its nothing new. They used to give out medals.
  • Options
    Presto ShinkoPresto Shinko Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Very sad, RIP.

To be fair it was pretty well publicised. His parents were making appeals and there was cctv footage of him released.

Have to admit that when I read about where he was last seen, I kinda knew then that he'd be in the river but really hoped I was wrong.

Feel so bad for his family, they seemed really close.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure there is some kind of campaign. A FM on here lost her brother a couple of years ago in similar circumstances and I'm sure she started a campaign. I will see if I can find more details.

As a parent I have always worried about this happening to one of my sons. I know for sure the older one jumped into the canal when he was drunk.

It's very sad that this young man has lost his life this way:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Tragic end to this story. I was hoping he would be one of the lucky ones and be found safe and well. His poor family and friends.
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is so sad.

Sympathies to his family. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I'm sure there is some kind of campaign. A FM on here lost her brother a couple of years ago in similar circumstances and I'm sure she started a campaign. I will see if I can find more details.

As a parent I have always worried about this happening to one of my sons. I know for sure the older one jumped into the canal when he was drunk.

It's very sad that this young man has lost his life this way:(

Her name was SoapyJo. I believe it was the Waterways Safety Campaign.

https://www.facebook.com/WaterwaySafetyCampaign?ref=stream
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One was found in the Wye on Wednesday, but stilldon't have much info about it.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    There should be yes. And more barriers in many cases.

My family used to be constantly fishing out drunks from harbours and waterways (largely alive) so its nothing new. They used to give out medals.

In many cases though there are barriers/rails , I suppose there is only so far they can go without building high walls .

What I find is sad is that if someone is after a night out very unstable on their feet say , that their friends don't make sure they get home ok , though we don't know that's the case here.

However it happened its a sad end and I feel for his family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really hits home, when its someone you know, and have had contact with them

Michaels was such a lovely person, very easy to talk to, and very quick to make jokes about what ever was in the news

It so sad, he has died this way. I have my suspicions what has happened, and its a tragic accident, I can only hope something comes out of this

if someone has had to much to drink, for that person to be walking near water on his own, has serious risks, especially if the railing don't do the proper job, to stop you falling into the river

Im not going to the funeral, but some of my colleagues from Dumbarton, to pay there respects

A friend of the family is raising money for Michaels , and already there at £4000+ in 24 hrs, and pledge to date £5110

Just give for Michael

RIP

Michael
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    In before the "Darwinism at work" comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly £6000 raised for the family, and a race night also being organised, which will raise more funds