Original casting choices that would have been better/interesting

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
Inspired by the "thank God they didn't get the part" - how about original casting choices that might actually have been better (or at least interesting)?

I understand that Joan Collins was originally wanted for 'Cleopatra' (1963) when it was first mooted. As the film turned out dire and Elizabeth Taylor seemed ill at ease, I think having it as a B-movie with Collins might have made it a better picture. She get her turn as an Egyptian queen in 'Land of the Pharaohs'.

Genevieve Bujold was originally wanted for 'Mary Queen of Scots' (1971) but didn't want to get typecast playing tragic queens, so the role went to Vanessa Redgrave. Redgrave looked the part more, but the film was pretty flat and dull. Bujold might have played a more fiery Mary (as she had played a fiery Anne Boleyn).

Anne Bancroft was the first choice for Joan Crawford in 'Mommie Dearest' (1981). As everyone knows, Faye Dunaway's hilariously camp, OTT performance in the movie virtually ruined her movie career. Bancroft looked more like Crawford and, I think, would have prevented the movie from descending into campy farce.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicole Kidman would of done a better job doing The Reader than Kate Winslet. Mainly because i think Nicole is a much more better character actress than Kate, and Kate's performance in the film was laughable and failed to even make us forget it was Kate in the role but aged and with no make up. But Nicole was taking time out to be a mum, which is why she passed on it. Kate's oscar win for that was more for the fact they snubbed her for much better roles, not because she was very good in it, especially as everyone to this very day reckons she would of won for Revolutionary Road.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Eric Stoltz over M J Fox for Back to the Future
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think Grace kelly would of been much better at doing Marnie than Tipp Hedren. But Grace kelly's husband refused to let her go back to acting to be able to do it, which is what led to her early retirement at just the age of 26.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eric Stoltz over M J Fox for Back to the Future

I assume you mean 'interesting' over 'better'?
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ yes it was an interesting choice to cast Eric Stoltz, I wonder how BTTF would of gone down had MJF not come on board
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Stallone as Axel Foley would have made for an 'interesting' film. Much of the appeal - and success - of BHC comes from Eddie Murphy's energy, delivery and humour, things which Stallone is not necessarily known for. As such, he would have played Foley completely different, the script would consequently have been very different, as would the overall film. It would probably have been a fairly generic, straight-up revenge flick that disappeared without trace.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Downey jr as Tyler Durden in fight club.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    In the Lord of the Rings films, I think it may have been more interesting to have Christopher Lee play Gandalf & Ian McKellen play Saruman.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I think Sandra Bullock would have been a better Mrs Hannigan in the new Annie movie, the trailer with Cameron Diaz is funny and its not supposed to be??
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't De Niro meant to play the lead in Big?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker if he had played Gandalf in LOTR.