Sylvie Carter - who will play her?

Comments

• doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Agreed some real core characters over the last few years have had their episodes reduced heavily to make way for carter time.

The ratings don't suggest they have brought in extra viewers, think the highest episodes have been Lucy murder and funeral

This.

DTC is over-egging the pudding with all these Carters. Other characters are being stuck on the back-burner just so that DTC can parade his latest creations and make a Star out of Shirley who is a marmite character to say the least..

He needs to prune them drastically rather than bring in more, or it will be a re-run of the Brannings.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    ^I think most characters can be considered marmite characters. I don't think I know of any character who is universally liked by everybody. I think Sylvie is needed for the s/l.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanna Lumley.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honor Blackman :p
  • KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Maggie Kirkpatrick would be amazing!
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    How old would you say Mick is meant to be? 40?

Which makes Shirley approx. 60 years old

So her mother, Sylvia would have to be at least 75 years old

Which narrows down the choice of good, strong actresses.

One or two have suggested Kate O'Mara but she's no longer with us as she died back in March aged 74. I must admit that if she HAD been in EE I would no longer watch it, nor Honor Blackman!
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    How old would you say Mick is meant to be? 40?

Which makes Shirley approx. 60 years old

So her mother, Sylvia would have to be at least 75 years old

Which narrows down the choice of good, strong actresses.

One or two have suggested Kate O'Mara but she's no longer with us as she died back in March aged 74. I must admit that if she HAD been in EE I would no longer watch it, nor Honor Blackman!

Mick is 37/8 and Shirley is 51. Stan is almost 80 so I imagine Sylvie will be somewhere between 70-80 years.

Shelia Hancock or Ann Mitchell would have been perfect but obviously not possible. I think they may go with an unknown or lesser known actress for her, possibly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they say Mick was born in 1977? Stan could have married younger. If Shirley was born in 63 and assuming her Mum was around 20 when she had Shirley then we could be looking at an actress of around the early 70s age range.

Ruth Madoc would be a great choice she can play common! The trouble is I'm not sure her cockney would be any good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    She played Steve Owens mother.

Anne Mitchell played Roy Evans old flame long before she was fabulous Cora Cross.
    Sheila Hancock would be perfect as the Carters missing mum. If not, then Anna Massey
    or Diana Rigg, someone with a bit of bite.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Lee's just mentioned her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Diane Langton would have been good but she is currently in Hollyoaks, I can imagine her as an old fashioned Eastend pub landlady.

It wont be Sheila Hancock she has been there and done that.

Georgina Hale has the right, slightly creepy screen persona for the role, so does Angela Pleasance (she was amazing in Whitechapel)
  • sugarandspicesugarandspice Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zanzibar66 wrote: »
    Anne Mitchell played Roy Evans old flame long before she was fabulous Cora Cross.
    Sheila Hancock would be perfect as the Carters missing mum. If not, then Anna Massey

Anna Massey passed away three years ago
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prunella Scales
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I think Georgina Hale would be excellent actually. She's got that vulnerable-yet-hard persona.
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Pam Ferris? I know she's only 66 but surely they could age her a bit. Seeing how menacing she can be in Matilida shows she could make a good Sylvie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Fraser! Please DTC!
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    What about Jacqueline King - don't know her age though or Lesley Joseph?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »

Kate O'Mara is a great suggestion and she actually doesn't look too dissimilar to Sheila Hancock actually.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000567308383/856c2f70eaade6034dec407baf9becc6.jpeg

She's appeared in quite a few soaps too so despite her fame, I don't think that she'd consider EE to be beneath her.

Kate O'Mara is dead.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Jacqueline King - don't know her age though or Lesley Joseph?

Glad you changed it lol thought Jac Jossa wtf?
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I hope it's only a short term role, it'll make for a better storyline and mean they can go for a higher calibre of actor, someone who might not want to commit.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zanzibar66 wrote: »

Cora is fab...let's not forget that.
  • jarzojarzo Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I've seen the name: Joanna Lumley mentioned a couple of times on this forum. Could that not be a good choice? Good casting for the show perhaps?
  • jarzojarzo Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Actually I'm now feeling the need to go and watch Absolutely Fabulous :p
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    jarzo wrote: »
    I've seen the name: Joanna Lumley mentioned a couple of times on this forum. Could that not be a good choice? Good casting for the show perhaps?

Too posh, I think.:D
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georgina Hale would be perfect and very believable as Shirley's mother.

I think Lesley Joseph would be good as Linda's mother Elaine.