Do you try and avoid touching door knobs and ATM buttons when out in public??

Comments

• trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I'm pretty sure my immunse system can handle it.

Also if you use your knuckles/keys/sleeves you're still going to get the germs on you at some point so what's the point?

There's less chance of spreading the germs on if you don't use your hands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I touch things with my right hand, and eat lefthanded.

but wheres your left hand been ? No dont wanna know :D
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    No, should I fear for my life?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    CBeeN wrote: »
    Whenever I go to tap my pin into an ATM machine or the payment thingy at Tesco I always use my car key or my knuckle cos I don't want to catch any germs.

Does anyone else do this? My sister inlaw to be does this too, I thought I was on my own with this one.

I also try and cover my hand with a sleeve of a coat when opening doors, like in the shopping center.

What's the point. I bet you still handle the most dirty items out there i.e. our coins and £5 notes etc.

also, what is the point? What do you think you're going to catch? :confused:
    Nothing deadly or everyone would be dropping like flies from opening shop doors.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    but wheres your left hand been ? No dont wanna know :D

My left hand goes nowhere.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    No, my immune system can handle it.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.I keep my distance from people who look ill as much as possible but getting paranoid about atms and door knobs seems a bit ocd.I rarely get colds and i can normally get rid of one in a day or two so its really not worth worrying about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    No, but I do get funny about washing my hands in a public toilet, then having to touch the door handle which has just been touched by loads of people too skanky to consider stopping to wash their hands.

I don't let it bother me too much, as has been said, germs are everywhere and it's fine.

But the toilet thing is annoying. Why have automatic flushers and taps then not an automatic door! :o

I have complained to store managers about this! The door should open outwards not inwards so you can push your way out.
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My left hand goes nowhere.

but you have to touch things etc..also dont you make sandwiches etc...

( oh and i was being rude) :D
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of a load of creepy crawlies, an ants or bees nest, David Attenborough style, thousands all wriggling around in their own muck. That's us too.
    By all means worry about doors, panic at ATMs and spray yourself silly with anti-bacterial stuff.
    But you are just scratching the surface of all the natural bacteria and unseen dirt we humans slop around in and breathe in.
    Your body is designed to handle all this, and unless you have specific immune system issues you will be fine. You'll get the same share of bacterial/fungal illnesses as those of us who stay reasonably clean without all the neurosis, whatever you do.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    No. I have an immune system.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    This anti bacterial hand gel crap is ridiculous!! I see it in clothes shops at the till for when the assistants have had to touch customers!
    I don't worry about germs and as a result am rarely ill with colds etc - I know people that gel themselves to death and always have colds, sore throats because their immune system is clearly used to the gel
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partners a bit like that with shop doors just using his knuckles.!
  • Graham MilesGraham Miles Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Whenever I go to tap my pin into an ATM machine or the payment thingy at Tesco I always use my car key or my knuckle cos I don't want to catch any germs.

Does anyone else do this? My sister inlaw to be does this too, I thought I was on my own with this one.

I also try and cover my hand with a sleeve of a coat when opening doors, like in the shopping center.

If I had your attitude, I'd never go down on a girl as I'd fear getting mouth cancer.

Come on darling you need to get over this, and just live.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I push public toilet doors open with one finger!... Saves my whole hand from getting contaminated
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trolley and basket handles are skanky. I once used a trolley and could smell something horrid on my hands afterwards :( like poo.
  • Graham MilesGraham Miles Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Trolley and basket handles are skanky. I once used a trolley and could smell something horrid on my hands afterwards :( like poo.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Christ I have to go shopping today.! Must buy gloves first.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i use my sleeve to flush, open, lock and turn on taps in public loos.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. The risk to health is negligible unless you are constantly putting your hand to your mouth, nose and eyes. Better to carry an antiseptic hand gel if you're worried.

If you have a cut free hand, any viruses you might pick up from what you touch, are not going to penetrate the skin. They can only get in through exposed orifices like the nose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those antibacterial hand gels leave me feeling dirtier to be honest. They always leave a nasty film that you can feel for ages and when you touch anything you stick to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They used to advertise a hand wash that you just put your hands underneath and a sensor dispersed the wash without you having to touch the top of the dispenser saying how much more hygenic it was. I often thought that a bit pointless as you were going to be washing your hands immediately after touching it. It was a good way to play on people's fears to get them to pay lots more money though.

They still sell them
    http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/dettol-healthy-touch-anti-bacterial-no-touch-hand-wash-system-hydrating-cucumber-splash-250ml-14416%3Futm_source%3DGoogle%26utm_medium%3DProduct%26utm_campaign%3DProduct?gclid=CLWax5OaqLMCFcbLtAodRG0AtQ
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    No, but I do get funny about washing my hands in a public toilet, then having to touch the door handle which has just been touched by loads of people too skanky to consider stopping to wash their hands.

I don't let it bother me too much, as has been said, germs are everywhere and it's fine.

But the toilet thing is annoying. Why have automatic flushers and taps then not an automatic door! :o

Yeah me too. In fact why not have bog doors that you PUSH to leave?
    If i am, say in McDonalds, I wash my hands then sometimes wait for someone to come in, and then go out. Or I grab the highest part of the handle, presuming that most of the scum who dont wash and leave bits of poo and wee on handles for people like me to touch before we put food in our mouths:eek::eek::eek::eek:, grab the lower part:eek:;)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go to the doctors or pharmacists I use my elbow to push the door open :o
    I use one finger. :o
    Forum Member
    I use one finger. :o

i use rubber gloves :D:D