Options

Fridge Problem

iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My fridge has recently started freezing everything that's in it (it's a combined fridge freezer) Is there a way to stop this or is it kaput? I've turned the temperature down to 1 but it's still freezing everything.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it got adequate ventilation around it ? They need a good airflow around the radiator at the back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it has. Is it possible to defrost a fridge? There's a build up of frost on the back wall inside
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres normally a drainage hole at the back inside of the fridge make sure its not blocked and also the freezer part doesn't need a defrost anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    My fridge has recently started freezing everything that's in it (it's a combined fridge freezer) Is there a way to stop this or is it kaput? I've turned the temperature down to 1 but it's still freezing everything.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
    Its supposed to be around 4 degrees. If it is around 1 degree then every thing will freeze. :confused:
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it has. Is it possible to defrost a fridge? There's a build up of frost on the back wall inside

The frost/ice is produced from the moisture in the air or the moisture from the food, turn the fridge off and allow it to defrost making sure you remove all the water before switching on, Its not a Beko is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its supposed to be around 4 degrees. If it is around 1 degree then every thing will freeze. :confused:

Ahh right so 4 is warmer as opposed to being colder? D'uh that's where I went wrong!

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh right so 4 is warmer as opposed to being colder? D'uh that's where I went wrong!

Did it come with a manual? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    The frost/ice is produced from the moisture in the air or the moisture from the food, turn the fridge off and allow it to defrost making sure you remove all the water before switching on, Its not a Beko is it?

No it's not Beko. I was hesitantg to defrost the fridge as its attached to the freezer but I'll defrost them both then turn the fridge up to 4.

• Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member

I'm sorry, but

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not defrost anything. Just turn fridge to 4. It should sort itself out.

Many fridge freezers are frost / defrost free - if set at right temperature.

Try at fridge at 4 for a day or so and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well you never can be sure with a fridge can you? it technically could be either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine the lower number would mean the fridge is warmer not colder, the numbers do not mean degrees celcius in a fridge so the higher the number the colder not warmer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it come with a manual? :D

Yes it did - 8 years ago! :D

No idea where is it is now! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you never can be sure with a fridge can you? it technically could be either.

I'm sorry.

Actually after i posted that, I had assumed that the numbers you quoted referred to actual temperatures but maybe they don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it did - 8 years ago! :D

No idea where is it is now! :D

What fridge freezer is it?
    Does it have a digital display of fridge and freezer temperatures?
    Is the fridge temperature controlled with a manual dial 1 - 6 or similar?

Cleaning the drainage hole as mentioned above is important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry.

Actually after i posted that, I had assumed that the numbers you quoted referred to actual temperatures but maybe they don't.

It does say I turned temperature down to 1 in OP so that's what I assumed too. Seeking clarification....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does say I turned temperature down to 1 in OP so that's what I assumed too. Seeking clarification....

Yes but does that one refer to 1 degree or is it a dial with, say, 1 to 5 on it with 5 being the coldest?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but does that one refer to 1 degree or is it a dial with, say, 1 to 5 on it with 5 being the coldest?

That's what I'm asking post 17. Let's see where we go with this :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What fridge freezer is it?
    Does it have a digital display of fridge and freezer temperatures?
    Is the fridge temperature controlled with a manual dial 1 - 6 or similar?

Cleaning the drainage hole as mentioned above is important.

Its a Hoover. no digital display but it has a manual dial on it 0-4 then "Super" (hence why I assumed that was the coldest setting)

I think maybe its just knackered! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy to test, just turn the fridge from NO.1 up to its highest setting and if you can hear the fridge pump kicking in then the highest number is the coldest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a Hoover. no digital display but it has a manual dial on it 0-4 then "Super" (hence why I assumed that was the coldest setting)

I think maybe its just knackered! :(

a common cause for ice/frost in a fridge is a damaged magnetic seal around the door, check the seal for damage and clean around the edges with vinegar for a good airtight seal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are most probably right.

Check the drainage and door seals as suggested. If your fridge is over packed it won't work very effectively either.

Is the freezer auto defrost? If not, if it's badly iced it is worth giving it a go defrosting both.

Cold enough to keep your contents outside well wrapped up possibly without them spoiling.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a Hoover frost free machine, then the excess ice build on the back of the fridge is either due to a faulty PCB, or down to a faulty thermistor. If it's the former then approx £120 to replace inc fitting, if it's the thermistor then as it's an embedded item it's not replaceable... time to get a new machine.

Oh, just to add... some of the 'advice' above is just pure comedy gold... talk about the blind leading the blind!:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    The dial does not mean the temperature . 1-5 is a setting .1 being warmer than 5 in ascending order the numbers mean you are turing up the coldness .,
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dial does not mean the temperature . 1-5 is a setting .1 being warmer than 5 in ascending order the numbers mean you are turing up the coldness .,

Except in some of the newer machines they've actually decided to make the dial reflect the temp. So 1 is colder, and 5 is warmer.
    It's confusing for the consumer, even us engineers have to read the bleedin manual sometimes. :D