Options

BBC Sussex emergency snow show

Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Kudos to BBC Sussex for opting out all evening from Mark Forrest and now the South/SE network late show by providing an emergency show from BBC Surrey in Guildford and are giving out a Guildford 01483 number instead of the 08457 number as Brighton's studio is quite frankly impossible to reach by road.

The snow was initially going to end at 8pm, then as the weather has got worse, particularly along the coast, especially in Brighton and Hastings, it's been extended to midnight in light of the situation.

Comments

• Options
    wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, live and local (kind of). The 08457 number will be on divert to Southampton at this time of night, hence the Guildford number being given out. No snow in Guildford from what I've been told.
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is when truly local radio comes into its own and there probably isn't a single car on the A23 not listening to Radio Sussex at the moment.

Hope everyone gets home safe, it must be horrible to be stuck there and wondering if you might have to sleep in your car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't seem to be any coverage on Heart.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilson500 wrote: »

And the "usual suspects" come on here to call other stations Tinpot!:rolleyes:

Fear not, they'll have a survey done, graph published,and extensive research data to prove the average 35yo female with ZERO intelligence doesn't care where the snow comes from
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Miller replaced Angus Moorat at 11pm and BBC Surrey has opted out of network.

I haven't tried the Sussex frequencies, but I'd hazard a guess the London presenter is firing off links to 102.4/103.5 (and relays) rather than 102.7.
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not much of a surprise there.

Bring back Southern Sound !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Miller show out of Southampton is doing a good job of covering the snow in Kent. They aren't touching Sussex as BBC Sussex has opted out the regional share tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Miller replaced Angus Moorat at 11pm and BBC Surrey has opted out of network.

I think Surrey and Sussex have broadcast the same all evening. David has told me he will stay on air all night if necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Miller in conversation with the Rizzle Kicks says "it seems like your peckers are still up" and the boys try not to say something rude. The young lady dealing with the interactive side managed to get the convo back on track!
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The snow was initially going to end at 8pm

Snow that works to an exact time schedule, I like it! :p On a serious note, I bloody hate snow and feel so sorry for anyone stuck in it. Hope everyone gets home ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snow that works to an exact time schedule, I like it! :p On a serious note, I bloody hate snow and feel so sorry for anyone stuck in it. Hope everyone gets home ok.

The snow has clearly got to my fingers clearly! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised that the other person with David Miller is BBC Sussex and Surrey Editor Sara David.

David Miller mentions that they're staying on-air until at least 1.45am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Miller is now on Kent, Sussex and Surrey through the night. BBC South group LR stations handed over to 5 live as normal.

He's giving out Radio Solent's number and made no secret that he's in Southampton.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the news pictures there must be at least an inch of snow, surprised they have not called on the International Red Cross and United Nations for assistance in this national emergency! :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is supposed to be on Kent, but Kent switched to Five Live at 1am. I've told the guys in Southampton.

Surrey and Sussex briefly switched to Five Live , but David was able to switch it back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening online, they are providing a superb service!!

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the same area......Buble plays next!:mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    From the news pictures there must be at least an inch of snow, surprised they have not called on the International Red Cross and United Nations for assistance in this national emergency! :yawn:

Tell that to the guy on now who has been stuck on the A23 since 4.30 yesterday afternoon!

Cant believe some numptys on here, who make light of a serious situation:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Miller's off at 2am handing over to 5 Live. I haven't checked the Media Sound stations tonight, but I'd expect the normal automated output is on as normal, which leaves Heart Sussex and Surrey networked from London.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

I wouldn't be making jokes out of the situation, an inch of snow, on some of Europe's busiest roads is no laughing matter.

And the Red Cross were called out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-21751026
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done BBC Sussex on staying on air last night when other stations carried their normal networked output. So many people have been moaning about the poor output on this station since the days of Ed Douglas, Dominic Busby etc, but in times like this it is good to know at least one local station care about their listeners when they are stranded in adverse weather conditions.
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Miller's off at 2am handing over to 5 Live. I haven't checked the Media Sound stations tonight, but I'd expect the normal automated output is on as normal, which leaves Heart Sussex and Surrey networked from London.

Nick Osborne was still live on the Media Sound stations giving out travel information when I last listened at about 9.30pm last night. Not sure about Heart but would guess they stayed with the network.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    wckartist wrote: »
    And the "usual suspects" come on here to call other stations Tinpot!:rolleyes:

Fear not, they'll have a survey done, graph published,and extensive research data to prove the average 35yo female with ZERO intelligence doesn't care where the snow comes from

Erm- nobody is doing that.

Except you, who couldn't resist having a dig at Heart. Anyone know if they did split links last night?
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm- nobody is doing that.

Except you, who couldn't resist having a dig at Heart. Anyone know if they did split links last night?

Not sure about Heart but Duncan Barkes on LBC was talking about it and taking calls from people stuck in cars as well as giving updates at 3am even when the BBC had gone to 5live.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Right. So one Global station, which can be heard in many parts of the affected areas, doing some coverage. Good for them.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right. So one Global station, which can be heard in many parts of the affected areas, doing some coverage. Good for them.

Correct, most likely why Heart didn't do match because as you say LBC can easily be heard in most areas affected so was left up to them to provide detailed information. Clive Bull was also doing small updates and they also had detailed travel news.