Options

repeat prescription question

Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi can anyone help me before I call the doctors? I want to ask here before I go call them and ask a stupid quiestion.

I was given a prescription for propanonol last November to help with anxiety, when I finished that pack I got a repeat which I didn't finish and I stopped.

On occassion I would take one when I expected to have another episode and it helped. I have now finished the second pack.

In the space of 2 weeks I've had 3 more anxiety attacks, the last being on Wednesday, I was doing a test in the evening but I was feeling on edge all day and it got worse before I got in to the test room. I thought I would be able to handle the test without it, clearly not, but I'm concerned about the two which were completely out the blue.

I was wondering if I could call the doctors for a repreat prescription of propanonol or would I have to make an appointment to speak to the doctor because I've not taken it reguarly for a while?

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    andyhargreavesandyhargreaves Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ring them and ask for it. If they can't give it they will tell you and you'll need to book a consultation.

Andy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id fone them and ask all they can say is you need to see the doctor. Its a bit of a gap since you last had your repeat prescription so they may end up offering you an appointment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect you will need another appointment as they may want to check your blood pressure. Ring your practice and see if you can have another script, and if you need an appointment, see if you can have one with the practice nurse, as that would be quicker than getting one with your GP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our doctors won't accept phone calls for repeat prescriptions any more, I think it was new legislation brought in last year? We have to put them in writing, either drop in to the surgery or the chemists. Bit of a pain because I have a 5 mile drive to either, and then have to go back 48 hours later for the pills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called the surgery and had a rather ubrupt woman tell me to call back between 11-3 about repeat prescriptions and then hang up. :(

I'm no further forwards.... but well see,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep trying :) It's a rare one for your symptoms, but I've heard of it before and apparently works in some cases. But I suspect they may want to see you again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that muscians take it for stage fright.

I don't want to take it but I it does help, I paniced an exam the other day and I could help but feel that it would have helped me calm down. :(